Author Topic: WAG.... Murphy has moved on  (Read 65000 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: WAG.... Murphy has moved on
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »
I'm sure though Jim is plotting to ruin Harry's love life.  So I think something is going to get into the middle of this Harry-Murphy dynamic and end up separating these two lovers.  Maybe Mirror Mirror will end up messing things up somehow.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 11:13:35 PM »
I’ve always been a Murphden shipper, but I have always suspected (especially now since they have hooked up with so many books left) that Harry is “destined” to end up with Elaine. Which does not bode well for Murphy’s continued health.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »
Murphy, by Mika Blackfield

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
You know, reading Zoo Day, I'm thinking the reason the two people in robes male/female stole the pups were to raise them to use them against Mab, aka Murphy. 

There is a WOJ where Jim says he planned to have Murphy scared of dogs so that she wouldn't keep getting in the way in Fool Moon.  Maybe someone wants big dogs to help take on Mab.  Maybe the reason why Lea likes to keep hounds around her is she knows a bit of a secret about Mab's prior identity.

It works if Mab=/=Murphy too. 
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 12:32:15 AM »
At the signing JB also mentioned that Murphy was based off the character in Robocop. I assume he meant this girl, and whose name is actually Anne Lewis, then he took Murphy from the main character of course.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:43 AM »
  I started watching Angel at around the same time I started reading the Dresden Files (circa 2010 ish), right after Changes released.  I've always seen Murphy as resembling Kate Lockley (played by Elisabeth Röhm)- physically, they're almost a perfect match, and they play similar roles in their plotlines.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 01:50:45 AM »
I just want to say that Murphden is a terrible ship name.

It's obviously Karry. Because I'll be very much surprised if it doesn't end in pain and death.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 02:52:04 AM »
I just want to say that Murphden is a terrible ship name.

It's obviously Karry. Because I'll be very much surprised if it doesn't end in pain and death.
Wouldn't that couple name be Hari-Kari? (The Hara-kari spelling doesn't work as well)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 02:57:43 AM »
Wouldn't that couple name be Hari-Kari? (The Hara-kari spelling doesn't work as well)

I was making a bad pun.

Karrin+Harry

First half of her name, second half of his. Makes "Kar-ry"

Pronounced "Carrie" (like the Stephen King Novel.)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 03:06:30 AM »
I was making a bad pun.

Karrin+Harry

First half of her name, second half of his. Makes "Kar-ry"

Pronounced "Carrie" (like the Stephen King Novel.)
Me too!  Harakari is another name for seppuku!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 04:29:17 AM »
I mean, do you believe any woman should retire from physically extensive activities or jobs the moment they hit forty?  ???

I also said:

Thomas at full strength would barely keep up

So if Thomas a vampire with super powers would have difficulty keeping up with the dangers Harry will be facing then I don't think Murphy, a vanilla mortal with a limp will be able to. 

I made a critical error in tangling Murphy's ability to fight upcoming threats with her, and Harry working out romantically.  That was an error on my part.  However when it does come to Murphy standing by Harry and fighting enemies I do stand by my belief that she won't be able to keep up realistically.  Here is why I believe this. 

Since Storm Front the dangers Harry faces have grown.  For Harry to survive Jim has given him steady power ups.  His magical skills grew, he obtained Soulfire, knowledge from the Book of Kemmler, becoming Warden, and the Winter Knight Mantle ect.  Murphy on the other hand as of Skin Game hasn't only not had a power up, she's received power downs.  She no longer has the police department at her disposal, she is no longer a Knight of the Cross, and now she has a knee injury and isn't expected to get all her mobility back.  Why would she be expected to survive the upcoming battles?  It's not against ghouls, and vampires anymore.  Now we're moving into the realm of gods, Walkers, the Fomor...  If Harry required power ups to survive, why would Murphy be expected to survive with none?

Now maybe she will get a power up.  Get a Sword back, die and become a Valkyrie, become Mab, a gun that shoots enchanted bullets, or Jim will decide she will survive without a power up.  That's why this is a WAG, not a declaration I know what's going to happen. 

Another reason I thought Murphy may be leaving the combat scene is this.  When Michael was shot up, someone asked Jim about it.  He responded that this was Michael's happy ending.  Most Knights do not survive.  So in Skin Game we have Michael mostly recovered, and walking with only a cane....  Well now what has happened?  Murphy, a Knight of the Cross has transferred ownership to Butters, she is still alive but will probably have a limp of some kind, just like Michael.  Not only that but now she has a small fortune in diamonds.  To me that kind of sounds like the opening for her happy ending.  The ability to walk away from that dangerous life she's been living for so long.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »
Murphy, by Mika Blackfield

That may be the best image of Murphy I've ever seen, or at least the one closest to what I picture in my own mind when she's in the story!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 04:58:46 AM »

The shipping name is Murden.  Jim got this idea from Tides of Numenera.  The Murden are avian humanoids.  Winged humanoids...  Pixies, elves, or Sidhe....

Murphy, Dresden are Murden who are Sidhe by another name...  Mab, and her King.

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 05:09:33 AM »
Why would her name be? Murphy has no reason to be mentioned in Jury Duty or Zoo Day. Hell, Harry doesn't mention Thomas or Molly, iirc. Clearly, that means Harry's no longer keeping in contact with them. Likewise, Harry doesn't mention Butters despite Butters calling him right before the short story so whoops, guess their relationship is close to falling apart.

Likewise, Harry didn't mention Maggie in Jury Duty. Clearly he kept no contact or thought of her until Zoo Day.

I didn't say any of that, just think it odd that she wasn't mentioned.  Perhaps Maggie wasn't mentioned by name, but Harry moving into Molly's old place said he was starting a new life, as in making a home for Maggie..  The zoo would have been a perfect place to bring Murphy along, for a lot of reasons especially if he had plans to make her a big part of his life along with her.. 
Another reason I thought Murphy may be leaving the combat scene is this.  When Michael was shot up, someone asked Jim about it.  He responded that this was Michael's happy ending.  Most Knights do not survive.  So in Skin Game we have Michael mostly recovered, and walking with only a cane....  Well now what has happened?  Murphy, a Knight of the Cross has transferred ownership to Butters, she is still alive but will probably have a limp of some kind, just like Michael.  Not only that but now she has a small fortune in diamonds.  To me that kind of sounds like the opening for her happy ending.  The ability to walk away from that dangerous life she's been living for so long.

Apples to oranges,  a happy ending for a guy who already had a very happy family life made happier by him no longer going into danger and putting his life on the line...  Michael was very happy with that as well as his family...  Sorry, but I doubt that Murphy would see that as a happy ending for herself...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 05:25:33 AM »
Apples to oranges,  a happy ending for a guy who already had a very happy family life made happier by him no longer going into danger and putting his life on the line...  Michael was very happy with that as well as his family...  Sorry, but I doubt that Murphy would see that as a happy ending for herself...

On the television show Supernatural the character Dean Winchester, a hunter said "I know how my story ends.  At the edge of a blade or the end of a gun".  Murphy is an intelligent woman.  She has to see how things are getting more dangerous, and that her chances of survival get lower the longer she fights.  Maybe she is like Dean and is fine with it.  On the other hand maybe she'd like to pass the torch so to speak so she can live some kind of peaceful life outside of combat.

I'm not saying her story ends and she isn't involved.  She could work alongside Marcone, with the Paranet, or something like that.  I'm talking about a life that isn't about fighting on the front lines like Harry, and more of fighting more like Marcone fights, less exposed in most situations.