Author Topic: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing  (Read 15914 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
  It's entirely possible I was reading too much into it, granted.  And perhaps scorn isn't the right word; maybe defiance?  He was very measured and polite on the surface, but to me this seemed like a very pointed question (to my ears, the lady might as well have thrown the glove down) and Jim responded with just as much, but much more effectively veiled sass.  "I don't try to inject my politics into my writing, and I don't like it when people do that".  That's how I remember his words (paraphrased, of course), and at some point I could swear I saw him squinting back at her with something like annoyance.  That final look he gave the crowd when he was done, that shrugging "so yeah, wadda ya gonna do" face really sealed it for me.
  Again, I might be projecting; I hate it when people inject politics and social commentary into stories for its own sake, especially when it detracts from the narrative.  Hearing Jim say what he did tickled me to no end.  If I catch the video and it turns out not to have gone down how I remember it, I'll be sure to amend my statement.
I'd agree that he was gently insisting that he'll continue to build his world in the way he always has, and wants to, rather than twisting its entertainment purpose into a political agenda.  I just didn't pick up on any vehemence for her or her idea.

I guess if I had to describe it , it was more like Michael sitting back and calming stating that others could do as they like, but he was going to do what he felt was right.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »
He didn't come across as scornful to me, nor did he seem to be glaring.  I thought it was pretty polite rebuff to the question.  But everyone interpets things differently.

Garrett filmed the session, so it should be posted soon.
It's on youtube. I searched "Jim Butcher Maclean" and there is another one recent one from Texas. Buutcher said something that he writes to entertain and not to preach. Thinking of a character in relation to diversity is not something he seems to consider. The questioner DID seem to have a little disdain for how some of the female characters are visualized.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 01:37:08 AM »
I'd agree that he was gently insisting that he'll continue to build his world in the way he always has, and wants to, rather than twisting its entertainment purpose into a political agenda.  I just didn't pick up on any vehemence for her or her idea.

I guess if I had to describe it , it was more like Michael sitting back and calming stating that others could do as they like, but he was going to do what he felt was right.
  So I saw a video of the Q&A; it was with an extremely old camera, blurry beyond belief, so I can't really tell if his expression is accurate to what I remember.  If the glare is there, I think it's when he says "I'm planning on writing the story I want to write, and the story that appeals to me and the story that I think will sell well."  I still feel like I can hear a hint of "shove off" in his final statement of "You should never preach harder than you can entertain, and uh... I don't like preaching."
  So yeah, definitely not scorn- but I still feel like he was putting out "bite me" vibes.  Less passive to my mind than Michael, but not so confrontational as I originally remember.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 02:54:37 AM »
It's on youtube. I searched "Jim Butcher Maclean" and there is another one recent one from Texas. Buutcher said something that he writes to entertain and not to preach. Thinking of a character in relation to diversity is not something he seems to consider. The questioner DID seem to have a little disdain for how some of the female characters are visualized.
There was likely some passion in her voice on the subject.  She herself wasn't what you'd call the "Dresdenverse Standard" of tall willowy blonde.  She was likely speaking from a personal interest in seeing others like herself portrayed (honestly, she was very close to what I've always pictured Charity as, only younger) which is a common subject these days.  Representation is incredible for those that don't normally have it. 

But I think both sides were respectful.  She seemed disappointed in his response, but that's her right, as is his desire to tell his story as he sees it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 04:27:47 AM »
I was really irritated reading this thread and felt very sorry for the girl. Griff, I love you  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:57 AM »
I was really irritated reading this thread and felt very sorry for the girl. Griff, I love you  :)
  The question felt too charged to me to earn anything but a charged response.  Again, I might be projecting; maybe Jim really was being genuinely polite, with no sass returned, and I was just personally annoyed with the question and read too much into it.  I've heard and read too many criticisms of Jim's stuff because of his portrayal of women to do anything but cringe slightly when she started asking.  Either way, it's difficult for me to feel much pity for her.  That's the kind of question you can't really ask an entertainer without expecting someone to disagree with you.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 05:11:24 AM »
Well, I think it's a valid question. Of course Jin is free to write whatever he wants, but the question is valid.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
Well, I think it's a valid question. Of course Jin is free to write whatever he wants, but the question is valid.
  Fair enough.  It's possible that she wasn't aware of the previous criticisms.  I still feel like her tone of voice indicated a level of accusation, but that could just be my interpretation.  Actually, has Jim ever touched on the subject before?  I can't seem to recall him mentioning it in any Q&As I've seen, or in any AMAs or posts in general. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 05:24:08 AM »
I know he has discussed diversity issues before (a criticism I found unfair). I don't remember anything specifically about women.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
I know he has discussed diversity issues before (a criticism I found unfair). I don't remember anything specifically about women.
  You wouldn't happen to know where those are, would you?  I'd like to be able to listen to/read them, to get a better idea of his stance and whether I interpreted too much from the signing.  It's a problem I've had in the past, and refining my interpretations of conversational undertones is an ongoing process for me.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »
I am sorry, not idea  :'(. I don't really watch the videos because I don't understand them (English is not my language, and I can read pretty well but I struggle with listening). I read some transcriptions but I seldom pay attention to when or where they happened.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:09 AM »
I am sorry, not idea  :'(. I don't really watch the videos because I don't understand them (English is not my language, and I can read pretty well but I struggle with listening). I read some transcriptions but I seldom pay attention to when or where they happened.
  Gotcha.  I'm like that with french; I grew up in french immersion, spoke and understood it perfectly, and then 16 years passed after elementary school and I can maybe read chunks of it now.  On a good day.  Still can't type it, though. 
His technical purpose is being able to violate free will as a mortal himself(also maybe creating insulation from Mab being mortal) They use him to do anything they see needed they cannot directly do themselves. I'm sure there's even more to it, But what they've used him for is to effect their Will on reality by proxy of a Willful Cat's paw.
  I also missed this.  Possibly true, but even Fix said the Winter Knight's job is to kill for Mab, and I would think that he's pretty clued in.  Maybe he's biased, sure, but I doubt he'd lie to Harry about something so important unless he was forced to.  And yeah, obviously the Knight's job covers more than just killing- being loaned out as muscle, for example.  But I can't help but feel it's the most important or prominent role he plays in Winter.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
For the record, I didn't know it was about body types; my point about introducing diversity into a story for diversity's sake alone usually being a bad idea related to many writers trying to do it (with good intentions) and winding up writing offensive stereotypes.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
Possibly true, but even Fix said the Winter Knight's job is to kill for Mab, and I would think that he's pretty clued in.  Maybe he's biased, sure, but I doubt he'd lie to Harry about something so important unless he was forced to.  And yeah, obviously the Knight's job covers more than just killing- being loaned out as muscle, for example.  But I can't help but feel it's the most important or prominent role he plays in Winter.

Fix's understanding possibly comes from a more recent interpretation of the WK's actions and his own dislike of the previous Knight. That knight seemed to be more directly answerable to Maeve and perhaps limited by her vision/wants/goals. Harry on the other hand is more directly tied to Mab and should have a purpose that reflects her greater understanding and plans (IMO).

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
Also Ive seen nothing to indicate that Fix OR Lily got much in the way of open access to Summer's information, any more than Harry has.  He's still just a paper cup to the court, and he has officially outlived the Lady that he was hired by.  I strongly suspect they were both being neglected by the wider court in step with Titania, so I doubt they've been schooled to heavily in the subtle shadings of the courts (Unless Eldest Gruff made the effort). 

Beyond that, we dont know how long it has been since they've had a Knight that was actually Good at much besides Killing.  And more than 100 years ago, there's not really much else you'd expect from somebody with the title of Knight.  The ones we know of have mostly been of the murderous sort, but then for all we know Maeve has been in charge of the hiring for all that time. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain