Author Topic: SPOILERS: Book 18 title announced at Lexington book signing  (Read 12049 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILERS: Book 18 title announced at Lexington book signing
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
I think "Body Slam" suggests cause of death for the diety-victim whose murder that Harry has to solve.

Maybe...  Skin Game to me is talking about Goodman Grey tricking Nicodemus.  Does it mean that to other people? 

one of the definitions for slam is prison...  Body prison could have a meaning I'd think.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:36 AM »
Dual meaning to the title perhaps? Maybe the environment where the gods wrestle is like a prison of sorts? And we are dealing with an outcast of gods?

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
Maybe...  Skin Game to me is talking about Goodman Grey tricking Nicodemus.  Does it mean that to other people? 

one of the definitions for slam is prison...  Body prison could have a meaning I'd think.
  I can't ever think of a time I've ever heard "slam" refer to prison.  "Slammer", on the other hand...
  Whatever the case, I'm sure that whatever the secret meaning to the title is will be so specific that every theory we make will be completely wrong.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »
Dual meaning to the title perhaps? Maybe the environment where the gods wrestle is like a prison of sorts? And we are dealing with an outcast of gods?
Oooh, Mayhaps they are stuck being embodied by weakling wrestlers just to survive in reality, a Body Slam :o
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
  I can't ever think of a time I've ever heard "slam" refer to prison.  "Slammer", on the other hand...
  Whatever the case, I'm sure that whatever the secret meaning to the title is will be so specific that every theory we make will be completely wrong.
If heard it as "Tossed in the Slam" before, similar in usage to "in lockup" or "the Pen".  It's definitely a slang term, not sure if its regional or anything more specific
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
If heard it as "Tossed in the Slam" before, similar in usage to "in lockup" or "the Pen".  It's definitely a slang term, not sure if its regional or anything more specific
+1 ..  heard it in a couple of movies as well.
Oooh, Mayhaps they are stuck being embodied by weakling wrestlers just to survive in reality, a Body Slam :o
Damn, but that's quite an imagination you have :P
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
The turnaround time for his "finished" to "published" is apparently 6 months. For other authors, it's actually a year.

3 months is supposedly possible, but probably unlikely when the publisher already has a release for him this year.  Whereas if he were to finish by September 1st, we'd be looking at a March release next year.  That'd probably be better for their accounting books. 

Not that I know enough about the industry to know if that's accurate or not.

A lot of the publishers I used to work with liked Q1 releases. A lot of people get Amazon gift cards over the holidays (especially if they participate in office gift-giving), and there's not much you can get for $20 aside from a new book.

That said, this was back in the days when Kindles and Nooks and iPads and other tablets were all Shiny New Things, so maybe it made more business sense ten years ago. I remember Christmas morning was a particularly strong sales day for ebooks; people would unwrap their Kindle or whatever, and immediately look for something to read on it. Since it was still newish technology, most of them were trying ebooks for the first time, not porting over an existing library.

Anywho, I wouldn't discount the possibility of a Q4 release. Peace Talks is going to perform well for them pretty much whenever they release it, so it honestly depends on their performance over the summer (where you get the Nicholas Sparks-type releases usually, as they're strong beach books) and whether or not Jim can finish it in time. He's established himself well enough that he has some Protection from Editors (his name is almost as big as the title on the cover of Skin Game, and IS bigger on The Aeronaut's Windlass, which is the typical barometer for how much control the writer has over his story), so I don't think there will be many developmental rewrites.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »

For what it's worth, a "skin game" refers to a rigged game, a con, a swindle, a trick—precisely what Dresden pulls off. Harry's con was built around Goodman Grey, so it makes sense to me.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »
I like Body Slam for the title. Lots of double meanings he could work in should he choose to.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
  I see.  Only ever heard "tossed in the slammer" myself.
  If that's the case, then this might be the book where Harry first imprisons someone/thing on Demonreach.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
  If that's the case, then this might be the book where Harry first imprisons someone/thing on Demonreach.
Even worse:  First time Harry lets something, or even just something's physical body, OUT... :o
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »

I like the thought of Harry imprisoning whatever he catches during the murder mystery at the wrestling circuit. Good chance to show that process before the BAT.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 12:11:18 AM »
I like the thought of Harry imprisoning whatever he catches during the murder mystery at the wrestling circuit. Good chance to show that process before the BAT.
  Exactly.  It has to happen sometime, right?  Jim can't just have Harry be the Warden and never put something in the lockup.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
  Exactly.  It has to happen sometime, right?  Jim can't just have Harry be the Warden and never put something in the lockup.
Nobody ever said he had to be a /good/ Warden :P 

Im still thinking that he starts a Parole program.  The Brit first, then maybe a heavily leashed naagloshii
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
(As far as Mirror, Mirror and losing the Winter Knight gig goes, I figure it's possible that jumping to a universe where there's already a Winter Knight (who I don't expect to be MirrorHarry) might mess with the Mantle—like, it tries to be in two places at once, and the power instead reverts to the constant from the Mirrorverse, or returns to MirrorMab. Either that, or simply being cut off from Prime Winter is enough to free the Mantle, returning it to Prime Mab as Harry gets sucked through. Or, you know, he just finds a good place to get rid of it on Halloween.)

That...has some interesting implications. I agree that the parallel universe will likely mess with Harry's mantled state. Maybe while over there, like you say, he'll be cut from Winter and unable to access its benefits. It might even cripple him again. But unless something really weird happens, I think the agreement he had with Prime Mab (which would be an absolutely terrifying transformer) would not be broken just be moving from one universe to another.