Author Topic: *Spoilers* Bigfoot On Campus  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
*Spoilers* Bigfoot On Campus
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:18:55 PM »
Hi all, just finished reading Bigfoot on Campus in Brief Cases (only that far in, please no spoilers for any of the other stories!). The anthology it was originally published in was a nightmare to get hold of in the UK so I never read it until now. I'm sure this will have been discussed but can't find anything using the search function.

SPOILERS FOR BIGFOOT ON CAMPUS AHEAD

Why wasn't Connie's Hunger killed the first time she and Irwin were *ahem* intimate? It's been a while since I read Blood Rites but wasn't it outright stated that if a Wamp-to-be had sex with the person they were truly in love with, it would kill their Hunger before it ever fed? Harry certainly believed that the two of them were in love. Is it just an error, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:20:54 PM by Darkest-Before-Dawn »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* Bigfoot On Campus
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
Hi all, just finished reading Bigfoot on Campus in Brief Cases (only that far in, please no spoilers for any of the other stories!). The anthology it was originally published in was a nightmare to get hold of in the UK so I never read it until now. I'm sure this will have been discussed but can't find anything using the search function.

SPOILERS FOR BIGFOOT ON CAMPUS AHEAD

Why wasn't Connie's Hunger killed the first time she and Irwin were *ahem* intimate? It's been a while since I read Blood Rites but wasn't it outright stated that if a Wamp-to-be had sex with the person they were truly in love with, it would kill their Hunger before it ever fed? Harry certainly believed that the two of them were in love. Is it just an error, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

They might not have been in love.  Also it may need to be a vanilla mortal required to kill the demon. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
There was a WOJ that the first time they were just hyper-horney teenagers drunk at a party.  Love came later, but her Hunger had already had it's first feed by then.  Cant seem to find it atm, I thought it was in the index.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »
I think Quantus nailed the answer.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
There was a WOJ that the first time they were just hyper-horney teenagers drunk at a party.  Love came later, but her Hunger had already had it's first feed by then.  Cant seem to find it atm, I thought it was in the index.

Ah I see, thanks for that! I remembered it being discussed at the time it originally came out but likewise couldn't find anything when I did some digging.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »

It must have been only a nibble because if I remember right for the Hunger demon to be fully engaged the feeding has to be until death....   I believe that's how Papa Raith entrapped Thomas, it's been so long since I read the book, but didn't he get Thomas drunk and out of control then into bed with some poor young woman?  Who Thomas promptly had sex with and fed on until her death?  From then on the Hunger was fully engaged...  If true love happens before the first kill the Hunger is burnt out.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
It must have been only a nibble because if I remember right for the Hunger demon to be fully engaged the feeding has to be until death....   I believe that's how Papa Raith entrapped Thomas, it's been so long since I read the book, but didn't he get Thomas drunk and out of control then into bed with some poor young woman?  Who Thomas promptly had sex with and fed on until her death?  From then on the Hunger was fully engaged...  If true love happens before the first kill the Hunger is burnt out.
Nah, you have it right.  The catch here was Pounder:  as a half Forrest-Person (that seems an awkward term), he has a ridiculously huge amount of Chi.  It was the reason he was being targeted in at least two of the stories.  In Bigfoot on Campus it let him survive their first meeting (which iirc her father had arranged and maybe even "pushed" with the expectation that he'd die.   Basically he was too big of a meal for Hunger to actually finish off, which is the only reason he was able to survive.  Arguably makes them a good fit too, since he's not in much danger from her even if she looses control. 

And if it comes to it, his dad is, like, the biggest turn-off...    ;D 8) ::)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
And if it comes to it, his dad is, like, the biggest turn-off...    ;D 8) ::)
Heh.
It has nothing to do with how huge a bite her Hunger takes, the act of death itself is needed to make her a full vampire. Much like the late Red Court, I'd guess. She'll remain a minor league succubus till she kills somebody while feeding, as her hunger has already been roused. She'll never be fully human.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Heh.
It has nothing to do with how huge a bite her Hunger takes, the act of death itself is needed to make her a full vampire. Much like the late Red Court, I'd guess. She'll remain a minor league succubus till she kills somebody while feeding, as her hunger has already been roused. She'll never be fully human.
I didnt think that was theory, pretty sure it was the actual explanation given in Bigfoot on Campus.  I dont have my copy with me though, Ill check when I can.

EDIT:  Oh, right, I can buy Brief Cases now!  Yup, there's a whole big conversation in there about how the actual Death is not a metaphysical requirement, rather it is a "character building" initiation that is a tradition of the Wraith family. 

It makes sense if you think about it: the whites are not like the Reds that are actually Loosing their Souls which requires them to fully Choose it (in a Free Will sense).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:49:34 AM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline ntribley

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:04:59 AM »
The question I had after reading it was, why hasn't the love they have for each other now caused problems? It certainly did for Thomas and Justine, and how it protected Harry from Lara. To say they don't have real love yet doesn't sound right. Pounder nearly pounded Connie's Dad to death because he was hurting her. Certainly a more obvious sign of love than what Inari and Bobby had going for them.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
The question I had after reading it was, why hasn't the love they have for each other now caused problems? It certainly did for Thomas and Justine, and how it protected Harry from Lara. To say they don't have real love yet doesn't sound right. Pounder nearly pounded Connie's Dad to death because he was hurting her. Certainly a more obvious sign of love than what Inari and Bobby had going for them.

That's a good point.  I wonder if him not being fully human means he does not get loves full protection. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »

Wasn't willingness to self-sacrifice for the other part of it? I haven't read BR in a while, but I think Bobby blocked Inari from getting shot.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
Snark-Knight has it: it was the element of mutual Self-Sacrifice with Thomas and Justine (her willing to die for him, him willing to deny himself and die for her).  They'd been together fairly often in all the many years living up to that night, with no issues, and Id wager that their Love had been growing for most of that. 

Bloody hell, another WOJ I cant actually find now that I need it....
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
  Could be that because she never killed (and thus her Hunger has never learned to kill) that love has no need to protect Irwin from her.  The Hunger took all it could, and its prey was back up the next day ready for more.  That's gotta change your perspective.  We've never seen anything like this before or since, so it may well be a unique case.