Author Topic: Zoo Day spoilers  (Read 21505 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Zoo Day spoilers
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:15:48 AM »
I liked it. Felt like a family adventure.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Zoo Day spoilers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:25:11 AM »
I want my short story
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
now I understand what Jim butcher meant when he said that mouse knew more the anyone else about what was going on. also harry need a new apprentice I think it would be cool if Austin was the apprentice it would give Maggie some one to have her first crush on and make harry a grumpy old wizard.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »

Just woke up, where are the spoilers

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
IT was a Nice story, well structured, but I had hoped for something bigger because I already read all the other stories in the compilation.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Aegnoralkarin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:57 PM »
Maggie's section was heartbreaking and hopeful all at once. Girl has had it rough.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:38:01 AM »
Inwant to know how Murphynis doing. 
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:21:36 AM »
So if Maggie's shoes were light-ups, how did it get completely dark in the basement?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »
I almost feel like Maggie/Mouse's sections were a pilot for the planned Maggie spinoff, which I wouldn't be against seeing more of! Maggie's POV does a great job making her a nuanced character and, even without her bad memories, her age lets her interact with things Harry can't. Which is a nice callback to the boogeyman story.

I think one of the most interesting things about ZD too is Jim's author's note about it, especially his acknowledgment Harry's life has to change with the fact he's a dad even if it means losing some of his audience. One of my concerns with Changes was if Maggie was just going to disappear from the series until dramatically convenient since it would've made her and Harry's relationship to her feel more like a cheap plot device. However, ZD's gone a long ways in helping assuage those concerns.

Plus, it actually gives me hope Harry might live a long while, considering how much of Maggie's fears are rooted in people dying or disappearing.

Offline datalaughing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 12:31:52 PM »
I have to say, I really love the multi-layered nature of this story, with how the perspectives build on each other. Really amazing bit of writing, imo. Loved it, and it just made me want that Maggie/Mouse spinoff more than ever.

Offline Vanderboom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
ZD was such a sweet story, but now it has made me curious about the rest of Mouse's litter. Also: I'm curious as to how Thomas will interact with Maggie.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
I'd like to hear more about Austin.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
I have a feeling that Austin is not a throw away character.   I am betting that he ends up being  Harrys new apprentice.  The act of letting his daughter interact with Austin is important. I also wonder about mousse interaction with Austin and mouse's interaction with harry and molly. I find it very revealing that mouse went to work at getting rid of the effects of black magic on Austin's soul . this has me wondering if mouse was  the reason that harry did not fall to lashie'ls coin. did mouse aid in the repair of molly's soul so that she did not become  warlock . 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:24 AM »
I thought Zoo Day was a great story!
Maggie and Mouse was a good combo. Was Maggie using a variation of the Sight to identify what was in those kids? Is that why she is so jumpy because she is seeing something that others don't see?
The confrontation between Mouse and "Nega-Mouse" was informative and interesting. Mouse is definitely a canine Harry but with better sense.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline soundsofsilence

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »
Was Maggie using a variation of the Sight to identify what was in those kids? Is that why she is so jumpy because she is seeing something that others don't see?

I got the sense that that wasn't a "magical power" thing, it was a "being a kid" thing. The story wasn't totally clear, but it seemed to be indicating that haunts and creeps and baglers and underhides and whatnot were things that all kids could see and had to deal with, but forgot about as they grew up. Then again, maybe not, because the kids Maggie rescued didn't seem to know what was going on. Still, ZD talked about how each of the Carpenter kids also once knew about them then forgot as they got older, and apparently there's a "Book." Maggie is the first adolescent voice we've heard from in any story so far, so it would make sense that we haven't heard of them before. Although I immediately thought of Ivy, and I wonder how her knowledge of them would work with the Archive?

I loved this short story, it might be my favorite. Maggie's character is awesome, and now I really want that Maggie/Mouse series.
A dark chase requires a silent hound.