Author Topic: AI and Magic  (Read 6790 times)

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
AI and Magic
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:16:14 PM »
I doubt this will ever got touched upon, but I had an interesting thought. Suppose that, in the Dresdenverse, AI is created, and it becomes not just a really smart robot, but an actual synthetic lifeform. How would such a being interact with the magical world? Would being in simple proximity to a wizard threaten its existence? Or would the combination of life and technology negate the Murphyonic field due to personal arcane sovereignty, or something like that? Could an AI become a magic user?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: AI and Magic
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
I don't see why not.  Mab already classified computers as ferromancy, and the Murphyonic field only affects humans.  AI would be more like a SoI than a human.

But I do think it'd take true sentience, which we're still far off from.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
I doubt this will ever got touched upon, but I had an interesting thought. Suppose that, in the Dresdenverse, AI is created, and it becomes not just a really smart robot, but an actual synthetic lifeform. How would such a being interact with the magical world? Would being in simple proximity to a wizard threaten its existence? Or would the combination of life and technology negate the Murphyonic field due to personal arcane sovereignty, or something like that? Could an AI become a magic user?
In the DV I would strongly expect that any emergence of True AI would actually be some modernization of the Spirit of Intellect process, where'd they'd be creating a powerful enough "container" for intelligence that it would call a spirit from the NN.  Not entirely unlike how there are now real monsters based on modern toys. 

At that point: Yes, such an AI would be capable of magic, of interacting with technology, and anything else we've seen Bob do. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
I like that line of thought there Q,
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 02:35:54 PM »
But I do think it'd take true sentience, which we're still far off from.

Yeah. There's a lot of buzz about "machine learning" and "artificial intelligence algorithms," but neither one is AI as we think of it. Machine learning takes prior solutions and applies them to similar or congruent problems. Does the same thing with data; eyetracking software might gather enough data points to predict where your eyes will focus on specific portions of a UI, then an algorithm might spit out code that takes advantage of that data.

It's actually pretty close to how Luccio describes the Greek Pythia—predicting the future based on prior data. But regardless, it's not true AI. There's a big leap from gathering and regurgitating information to consciousness.

Interesting thought about a Spirit of Intellect. It's basically what happens in Age of Ultron.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
even if an AI acquired sentience, that wouldn't give it a spirit, without that, would it even be able to perceive much of magic?  outside of any physical manifestations of course.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
It comes down to 2 questions "Why do mortal humans have magic?", and "Can real sentient life forms be created via technology?"  The first question probably has an answer, the 2nd question is hotly debated in the real world and one I don't know if Jim would even bother to tackle unless Harry goes to the future.  The future of the Dresden Files appears to be the opposite of advancement and more about mass destruction of civilization...  So I don't think there will be advanced technology.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:10:02 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 03:37:43 AM »
even if an AI acquired sentience, that wouldn't give it a spirit, without that, would it even be able to perceive much of magic?  outside of any physical manifestations of course.
Dresdenverse magic has been presented as being beholden to the laws of physics.  If magic is an energy field, an AI might be able to figure out how to access it artificially.

Interesting thought about a Spirit of Intellect. It's basically what happens in Age of Ultron.
Ultron's a good example, but I'd say it'd likely be more like Vision.  There'd probably need to be a catalyst (magical version of the mind stone) to gain sentience, at least within the timeline of the series.  A SoI could be that catalyst, or a magical being that could create a SoI with a machine on the cusp of sentience.

Still, a long shot, and likely something we'd never see.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:43:17 AM »
It comes down to 2 questions "Why do mortal humans have magic?", and ...  The first question probably has an answer,
That answer is mostly yes.  Note that Butters, a Mortal, can energize a circle of his own volition.  Jim has also said that the main difference is that Wizards can perceive the forces they're manipulating, while Mortals lack those senses, so they'd be doing magic blind, deaf, and numb.  Plus the ability of Three Eye users to see magic.  And then the soulgaze which requires a Wizard to happen, but does go both ways.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »
It comes down to 2 questions "Why do mortal humans have magic?", and "Can real sentient life forms be created via technology?"  The first question probably has an answer, the 2nd question is hotly debated in the real world and one I don't know if Jim would even bother to tackle unless Harry goes to the future.  The future of the Dresden Files appears to be the opposite of advancement and more about mass destruction of civilization...  So I don't think there will be advanced technology.
Im not sure how #1 factors in, since there are tons of magic-using entities that are not humans, bob being the ideal example. 

Regarding #2, In terms of the DV, how do you define Created?  Would creating a technological container for a Spirit count, or would you want a more ground-up genesis on the scale of like the Dragons creating the dragons?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
Dresdenverse magic has been presented as being beholden to the laws of physics.  If magic is an energy field, an AI might be able to figure out how to access it artificially.

Ultron's a good example, but I'd say it'd likely be more like Vision.  There'd probably need to be a catalyst (magical version of the mind stone) to gain sentience, at least within the timeline of the series.  A SoI could be that catalyst, or a magical being that could create a SoI with a machine on the cusp of sentience.

Still, a long shot, and likely something we'd never see.
After reading Day One, Im not actually sure about that.  It features a monster that is based on an 80's toy, and Harry said the cumulative emotions surrounding the toy line (thanks largely to the intensity of Children's emotions) might have been enough to either Create a new Spirit or Call one that existed and needed a connection to the Human World to stay there.   If that's enough without any direct catalyst or conscious Intent, the group striving to create an actual "Question what is Alive" AI could well do it, and if not the global fallout if they announced Success could likely pull it off after the fact (though that /would/ require conscious intent I suppose)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Follow up: What kind of Will (or lack thereof) would a magical AI have?

Non-mortal magical entities are typically described as not having Free Will. Bob, for example, needs to be compelled by a master in order to act toward an objective. Thus, a Spirit of Intellect based AI would seemingly not be able to do squat without a master/host. However, computers don't necessarily work that way. Turn on a roomba, and it will clean a floor of its own volition. That's all it will do, and it can't respond to changing circumstances well, but apart from being turned on, it doesn't require commands. Would a magical AI be similar? It wouldn't have Free Will in the sense that mortals do, but it would be able to act of its own Limited Will provided all actions taken were based on a programmed imperative.

Again, I realize this is extremely unlikely to come up, but I find the speculation in this thread interesting.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Follow up: What kind of Will (or lack thereof) would a magical AI have?
Same as any other sentient, non-mortal creature.  It would not be able to act outside of its fundamental design and/or purpose without outside intervention, and would have a stable Name, but would still be as Sentient as the Fae.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
I should've been more specific; I did mean Vision in Age of Ultron. Pretty much exactly how I see something like this going; a Spirit of Intellect is transmuted into something grander than itself. Sufficiently advanced magic becoming indistinguishable from technology. :)

As far as whether or not an AI could use magic, I'd mention Ivy (cautiously). I don't know if Ivy was born a wizard, if her mantle grants her access to magic, or if she simply knows so much that she is able to use magic without any innate sensitivity to it. If it's the third option, then I'd hazard a guess that a sufficiently knowledgeable AI could pull something off if it attained sentience, consciousness, and a measure of free will.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
I should've been more specific; I did mean Vision in Age of Ultron. Pretty much exactly how I see something like this going; a Spirit of Intellect is transmuted into something grander than itself. Sufficiently advanced magic becoming indistinguishable from technology. :)

As far as whether or not an AI could use magic, I'd mention Ivy (cautiously). I don't know if Ivy was born a wizard, if her mantle grants her access to magic, or if she simply knows so much that she is able to use magic without any innate sensitivity to it. If it's the third option, then I'd hazard a guess that a sufficiently knowledgeable AI could pull something off if it attained sentience, consciousness, and a measure of free will.
Regarding Ivy, as I understand things even if the Archive didnt innately grant Magic on it's own, Ivy was born to a actively magic-using lineage going back most of Human History, so I think it is all but inevitable that said Bloodline would have developed/mutated Magical capabilities through chronic exposure. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/