Author Topic: Supernatural Nations you'd like to see.  (Read 20349 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Supernatural Nations you'd like to see.
« on: May 02, 2018, 02:24:31 AM »
Jim has done a good job of setting up several supernatural nations and figures from the Red Court, the Fae both Courts, Monoc Securities, The White Council, The Fomor.

Is their any nation or figure from myth and legend you'd like to see included in the Dresden verse?

For me personally I'd like to see what Drakul is capable of and whether or not he has a small army at his command.

I'd also like to see Peter Pan and Jack Frost as minor nobility in the Summer and Winter Courts respectively as personification of youth in both seasons.

Any other figures or nations anyone can think of?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Nations you'd like to see.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »
Peter Pan is close to Nico really lol. An Harry is totally Jack Frost to Kringles Old Man Winter.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
For nations or races, I'd love it if I was reading about the Fae and an allusion to the Nac Mac Feegle turned up. Curious to see Mr. Butcher's take on the Golem myth and Faust, and I'm hoping we learn more about the Rakshasa that's been mentioned.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Well, I'd like to get some actual details on the Fomor beyond being a bunch of dark exiles ruled by an empress. And the Black Court as an actual group, rather than just Mavra as an individual antagonist - I still think they're plotting a resurgence.

Also, of course the Jade Court, but that practically goes without saying.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 05:37:33 PM »
I'd like to see the Prime Evils of the world of Sanctuary, from Diablo I & II & LOD games.
  • Mephisto: Lord of Hatred
  • Diablo: Lord of Terror
  • Baal: Lord of Destruction
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:26:08 AM »
See, if Baal were to show up as a pagan entity, I'd just be sad that Harry is too out of the loop on modern TV to make any Stargate references.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:14:02 AM »
While there's no reason to believe it's the case, I'm intrigued with the idea of little d dragons being organized into clans that used to serve the big D Dragons.  Clans that are largely self-managed now that most of the big guys are gone or retired.

I'm also interested in seeing a society of creatures living amongst humans.  Other than the Wamps and Ramps, we haven't seen that many creatures trying to pass themselves off as human.  Something like the network of assassins, and their properties and such, in John Wick.  Only not just assassins.  Hotels that dispose of victims for their clientele; restaurants that meet certain supernatural nutritional requirements; an entire society of creatures not affiliated with the Courts or the Fomor or any other big faction.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:38:59 AM »
Golden Age Humans – The Golden Age is the only age that falls within the rule of Cronus. Created by the immortals who live on Olympus, these humans were said to live among the gods, and freely mingled with them. Peace and harmony prevailed during this age. Humans did not have to work to feed themselves, for the earth provided food in abundance. They lived to a very old age but with a youthful appearance and eventually died peacefully. Their spirits live on as "guardians" of mortals.

Meeting these guardians if they exist would be interesting.  There are different stages of humans in the Greek mythology:

Silver Age – The Silver Age and every age that follows fall within the rule of Cronus's successor and son, Zeus. Men in the Silver age lived for one hundred years under the dominion of their mothers. They lived only a short time as grown adults, and spent that time in strife with one another. During this Age men refused to worship the gods and Zeus destroyed them for their impiety. After death, humans of this age became "blessed spirits" of the underworld.

Bronze Age – Men of the Bronze Age were hardened and tough, as war was their purpose and passion. Zeus created these humans out of the ash tree. Their armor was forged of bronze, as were their homes, and tools. The men of this Age were undone by their own violent ways and left no named spirits; instead, they dwell in the "dank house of Hades". This Age came to an end with the flood of Deucalion.

Heroic Age – The Heroic Age is the one age that does not correspond with any metal. It is also the only age that improves upon the age it follows. It was the heroes of this Age who fought at Thebes and Troy. This race of humans died and went to Elysium.

Iron Age – Hesiod finds himself in the Iron Age. During this age humans live an existence of toil and misery. Children dishonor their parents, brother fights with brother and the social contract between guest and host (xenia) is forgotten. During this age might makes right, and bad men use lies to be thought good. At the height of this age, humans no longer feel shame or indignation at wrongdoing; babies will be born with gray hair and the gods will have completely forsaken humanity: "there will be no help against evil."

The Iron age humans sound as if Nemesis infected, or even possibly like Outsiders themselves.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Guardianw007

• Lurker
  • Gave up proof reading for Lent. In 1989.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Ooh, Ooh!  I wanna play, I wanna play!

The Council of Arcturus, a small nation about the size of a medium sized clan, living on their own sovereign territory, New Camelot (I'm thinking either a large-ish plot of land in the middle of either Canada or the Outback [miles and miles of miles and miles] or an unassuming island in an archipelago, like the Solomon Islands or the Seychelles).  Traditionally ruled by an oversight committee ("The knights") and head by a chairperson, The Lady of the Lake,("Lady") a title that was liberalized in the 80's to accommodate the first male recipient ("Lord") to collect enough political power to rule the council.

Politically, they are rabidly pro-human, and messianic to the nth degree, believing that one day the star will rise again and save the world from evil.  Until such time, theirs is to shine, the brightest light in the dark until this time.  Thus, seeing themselves as the true guardian's and protectors of mankind against all its predators, they get on imperfectly with the other pro-human factions, who they view as, at best, helpful amateurs including the White Council with whom they have an EPIC historic mistrust because of ancient blame for the absence of the star being shifted to Merlin (OG flavor).

Currently, strange rumors have begun to circulate in the clued in world of knights, seeming to be acting in ways contrary to humanities' interests, again allegedly because, "If humanity is to be saved, it must first be in some form of danger."
Aslan is not a tame lion.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
Asgard.....

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
Ooh, Ooh!  I wanna play, I wanna play!

The Council of Arcturus, a small nation about the size of a medium sized clan, living on their own sovereign territory, New Camelot (I'm thinking either a large-ish plot of land in the middle of either Canada or the Outback [miles and miles of miles and miles] or an unassuming island in an archipelago, like the Solomon Islands or the Seychelles).  Traditionally ruled by an oversight committee ("The knights") and head by a chairperson, The Lady of the Lake,("Lady") a title that was liberalized in the 80's to accommodate the first male recipient ("Lord") to collect enough political power to rule the council.

Politically, they are rabidly pro-human, and messianic to the nth degree, believing that one day the star will rise again and save the world from evil.  Until such time, theirs is to shine, the brightest light in the dark until this time.  Thus, seeing themselves as the true guardian's and protectors of mankind against all its predators, they get on imperfectly with the other pro-human factions, who they view as, at best, helpful amateurs including the White Council with whom they have an EPIC historic mistrust because of ancient blame for the absence of the star being shifted to Merlin (OG flavor).

Currently, strange rumors have begun to circulate in the clued in world of knights, seeming to be acting in ways contrary to humanities' interests, again allegedly because, "If humanity is to be saved, it must first be in some form of danger."

Might I recommend Brasil?  (No, that's not a typo)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil_(mythical_island)

It's more Irish than British/Arthurian (for that, you'd want Avalon, the isle of apples), but a mist-shrouded island that only appears for one day every seven years seems good for a secret society.  As long as they have ways of getting off and on the island (Ways?) the rest of the time.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
Something like the network of assassins, and their properties and such, in John Wick.  Only not just assassins.  Hotels that dispose of victims for their clientele; restaurants that meet certain supernatural nutritional requirements; an entire society of creatures not affiliated with the Courts or the Fomor or any other big faction.

I'd be very much down with this. One of the cable networks (HBO, Starz, or Showtime, can't remember) is producing a TV series called The Continental based on the John Wick universe. I've frequently commented that, for a movie series with a plot that essentially boils down to "Keanu Reeves shoots people in unlikely and interesting ways," the lore is ludicrously deep, and I'm pumped to see it continue beyond the movies.

Svartalves or one of the other neutral parties might be a good fit for this.

Offline Guardianw007

• Lurker
  • Gave up proof reading for Lent. In 1989.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:23:25 PM »
Might I recommend Brasil?  (No, that's not a typo)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil_(mythical_island)

It's more Irish than British/Arthurian (for that, you'd want Avalon, the isle of apples), but a mist-shrouded island that only appears for one day every seven years seems good for a secret society.  As long as they have ways of getting off and on the island (Ways?) the rest of the time.

Excellent!

The original Avalon was described as being a boat ride away, "Across a vast sea".  So Brasil would work, though I'd have them on a smaller island adjacent to where Brasil appears.

Really, the whole thing would simply be an excuse for Harry to refer to the current (Male) "Lady" as, a "Watery Tart" and/or a "moistened bint" (to the laughter of no one save, possibly, Martinez who falls out of his chair with suppressed laughter) just before we saw the violence inherent in the system.
Aslan is not a tame lion.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
I'd be very much down with this. One of the cable networks (HBO, Starz, or Showtime, can't remember) is producing a TV series called The Continental based on the John Wick universe. I've frequently commented that, for a movie series with a plot that essentially boils down to "Keanu Reeves shoots people in unlikely and interesting ways," the lore is ludicrously deep, and I'm pumped to see it continue beyond the movies.

Svartalves or one of the other neutral parties might be a good fit for this.
Nah, the Svartalves are their own "Faction".  Their own "Court".  I'm talking about the existence of unfactioned creatures.  Creatures that aren't unique, but of small enough number that they're not a "Power" in their own right.  They're not subservient to the Sidhe, or the Fomor, or anyone else.  They'd be the equivalent of the "Wild Fae", only they're really not beholden to anyone.  The Wild Fae still have to choose sides at times.  I'm proposing a society that says "No" to the wars between the Sidhe and the Fomor and the Vamps and everything else. 

Now, the Svartalves and other Courts could obviously be part of, and involved with, the supernatural community.  But it wouldn't be dependent on any one group.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 06:44:50 PM »
Excellent!

The original Avalon was described as being a boat ride away, "Across a vast sea".  So Brasil would work, though I'd have them on a smaller island adjacent to where Brasil appears.

Really, the whole thing would simply be an excuse for Harry to refer to the current (Male) "Lady" as, a "Watery Tart" and/or a "moistened bint" (to the laughter of no one save, possibly, Martinez who falls out of his chair with suppressed laughter) just before we saw the violence inherent in the system.
I could see where there'd be a "Lady Robert" and Harry would ask how that's supposed to work, and Molly would whisper something about not assuming genders, and Harry would say something embarrassing (as us Gen-Xers do about such things), and then things would fall apart.   ;D

As long as Bob was there so he could recount the story later.
 Bob: "And then Harry punched the Lady in the face."
 Murphy: "Dresden!"
 Harry: "It wasn't like that!  It wasn't a woman!"
 Murphy: "The Lady wasn't a woman?"
 Harry: "Not a real woman."
 <offended stares all around>
 Harry: "No, I don't mean-- he could be a woman if he-- I mean--"
 Toe-moss: "Harr-eee.  How could you?!"
 Harry: "Don't you start!"
 Murphy: "So much for that chivalrous streak."
 Harry: "He looked like a man!"
 Molly: "Alright, Ms. Swan, let it go."