Author Topic: Could Jim use current movies to influence books?  (Read 5278 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Jim use current movies to influence books?
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »
I was just thinking that Odin, Thor, Loki are getting all kinds of fans (like pro wrestling fans) more recently.  Millions of people watching the movies, buying comic books, figurines ect..  I was wondering if any of you think Jim will play off of this reality and actually show in the books that these characters have obtained recent power boosts since they haven't had a whole lot of hero worship for a long time but now may actually be getting more than ever before (millions of children, and adult fans).

Heck he could even write in that they are involved with these movies, and comic books in that perhaps they were early investors to help get it moving.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Could Jim use current movies to influence books?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
Because of the copyright issues involved I wouldn't expect more than a passing or offhand mention of some Norse deities gaining power because of recent movies.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:15:43 PM »
Because of the copyright issues involved I wouldn't expect more than a passing or offhand mention of some Norse deities gaining power because of recent movies.

Yeah...  But I mean he's mentioned Star Wars, Burger King, Coke, Walmart....  So it's not like you cannot mention things.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
He spent half of Ghost Story comparing his ghost powers to the X-Men and in the RPG, Harry suggests "It's Clobbering Time!" as a stunt name.

I don't think mentioning Marvel stuff is a problem.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »
Dang.  Vadderung had this planned.  He is reaching into our world to play things in his favor in the dresdenverse so that he has more oomph in time for the BAT.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:54:41 AM »
Dang.  Vadderung had this planned.  He is reaching into our world to play things in his favor in the dresdenverse so that he has more oomph in time for the BAT.

Ha ha..  He will put on his Jim Butcher Mantle, return to this reality and ensure the victory in that reality.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
He spent half of Ghost Story comparing his ghost powers to the X-Men and in the RPG, Harry suggests "It's Clobbering Time!" as a stunt name.

I don't think mentioning Marvel stuff is a problem.
Especially in the case of aknowledging the movies as in-world works of fiction like his Spiderman references.  It might be different if he wanted to do an actual crossover, but just having the MCU also exist as a movie franchise wouldnt run afoul of any real copyright.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
Yeah, that falls under Fair Use—taking how a certain movie has impacted society and shaped their concept of specific deities wouldn't get Jim into any trouble. I don't think Thor, Odin, and Loki would become anything like their movie counterparts, though; Hades didn't turn into a total jerkwad because of the Kevin Sorbo series or the Disney rendition, for example. But it would be interesting to see if they got power upgrades because so many people are thinking about them, similarly to Mab gaining power by funding the Brothers Grimm and good ol' Walt.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
Yeah, that falls under Fair Use—taking how a certain movie has impacted society and shaped their concept of specific deities wouldn't get Jim into any trouble. I don't think Thor, Odin, and Loki would become anything like their movie counterparts, though; Hades didn't turn into a total jerkwad because of the Kevin Sorbo series or the Disney rendition, for example.
Ya, if Santa can still carry a sword, I figure it takes a lot longer for those sorts of Myth-drift perceptions to actually change the subject.  For that matter, the popular opinion is still capable of simply getting it Wrong, as was the case with Goblins.  Also Id expect them to have to /accept/ the change to some extent, or else the transient changes would be weaponized more often.  Imagine the Erlking waking up one day to discover that he's developed a sudden attraction to singing and cod-pieces...

But it would be interesting to see if they got power upgrades because so many people are thinking about them, similarly to Mab gaining power by funding the Brothers Grimm and good ol' Walt.
That's the thing though, we dont really know that she got all that much /power/ increase, all we really know is that she's is a lot less likely to be consigned to Oblivion now.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »
That's the thing though, we dont really know that she got all that much /power/ increase, all we really know is that she's is a lot less likely to be consigned to Oblivion now.

Do we know that worship/knowledge is tied to power level in the DV?  I know in the Iron Druid Cornicles that it is implicitly stated several times.  But in the DV all that I recall is that if you are forgotten from the minds you cease to exist. 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
Do we know that worship/knowledge is tied to power level in the DV?  I know in the Iron Druid Cornicles that it is implicitly stated several times.  But in the DV all that I recall is that if you are forgotten from the minds you cease to exist.
Kinda?  As far as I know we've never had any direct confirmation of a Power Increase, but we do know that NeverNever Entities require a tether to mortal consciousness, such that if they are forgotten completely they cannot interact with reality any more and are said to be "consigned to Oblivion" (though there is debate what all that means).  That being said in Day One it was confirmed that enough Belief can create new beings, though it also says that more often an existing being will alter itself to fit the new myth/shape and piggy-back it.

My read of it, particularly the couple times Bob has touched on it, is that the Belief affects the Connection to the Mortal Word, which in turn limits how much of their Power they can Leverage.  It wont in itself Create Power from nothing, though it could gather up old/lost power that resonates enough which would more or less look like the same thing (Conservation of Energy notwithstanding).  More often it would attract a Powerful Being to what is essentially an unused and unclaimed Tether.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »

Well if the Greek gods are getting powered because they have taken on rolls a professional wrestlers, I would suspect my theory to work...  Unless the power is directed towards the actor's themselves, and because they are vanilla mortals get nothing from it.  On the other hand apparently even knowing the names of Old Gods, gives them an anchor here (the Oblivion war is trying to eliminate their Names)...  So I'd think that the knowledge of Zeus or Thor combined with people being fans of the idea of them would grant power.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Well if the Greek gods are getting powered because they have taken on rolls a professional wrestlers, I would suspect my theory to work...  Unless the power is directed towards the actor's themselves, and because they are vanilla mortals get nothing from it.  On the other hand apparently even knowing the names of Old Gods, gives them an anchor here (the Oblivion war is trying to eliminate their Names)...  So I'd think that the knowledge of Zeus or Thor combined with people being fans of the idea of them would grant power.
Part of the issue, or at least an aspect of the mechanic, would have to be how Unified the (new) image of the entity actually is.  In the case of Thor, there is the Comic version, the Movie Version (which it's most rabid zealots will insists is different), as well as all the various non-Marvel versions (DC Comics, Percy Jackson, Iron Druid, American Gods, etc etc etc).  I think for the popular Thor Image to take over it would need a generation or two for it to settle out to a single unified image; again looking at Santa as the example. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
again looking at Santa as the example.

Interesting side note: Kringle might be the only Fae able to actually give gifts without getting something in exchange.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
That or he values the reaction of the recipient of the gift as in part valuable as the gift, or what will potentially occur as a result of the gift being given as also valuable in part.

Kringle gives Harry gifts and tells Harry to consider it payment for Demonreach, etc...
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html