Author Topic: Peace Talks character death wag  (Read 8673 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Peace Talks character death wag
« on: April 21, 2018, 04:32:59 AM »
I was thinking that Mac might be the one "main" who dies.  We will finally learn who he is, and what he's about.  Harry will inherit his bar, and it's title as neutral territory...  It will be another power up for Dresden that isn't about personal power, but more about status.

I don't know if he's going to be the death that sets off everything, just that he may be one of the casualties.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks character death wag
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
Wasn't there a WOJ about Mac that the audience wouldn't find out who / what he really is until around the BAT?

Now, granted, we aren't trusting WOJ's 100% anymore, but that seems like an odd point to throw misinformation about.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
Wasn't there a WOJ about Mac that the audience wouldn't find out who / what he really is until around the BAT?

Now, granted, we aren't trusting WOJ's 100% anymore, but that seems like an odd point to throw misinformation about.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mac was a big part of the BAT.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Mac was a big part of the BAT.

Mac reconsidering being "out" when shit actually hits the fan:
https://i.imgur.com/nD2LWjO.gif

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
Im confident that McCoy will die, because I fully expect Harry will need the Blackstaff before it is over.  I dont know that it will happen in Peace Talks, but it would be a fitting time for it, and one hell of a pressure cooker. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
Do we know someone important to the main cast will die?  Or just assuming.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
Im confident that McCoy will die, because I fully expect Harry will need the Blackstaff before it is over.  I dont know that it will happen in Peace Talks, but it would be a fitting time for it, and one hell of a pressure cooker.

I agree with you, for reasons I've stated on more than one occasion.

Do we know someone important to the main cast will die?  Or just assuming.

One of the first things Jim said about Peace Talks was it will have a high degree of supernatural violence.  Which; if you think about it, is kind of an odd statement because all the Dresden Files books have some degree of supernatural nastiness in them.  You can go through it book by book; human hearts exploding out of chests, werewolves eviscerating people, vampires seducing and killing teenagers, Summer Knight only had one human victim, though he was murdered too, a curse that can cause a plague, more, nastier vampires enthralling and killing people, necromancers killing people at will and either stealing their bodies and wearing them like a suit of clothes, or using them to be part of a zombie army, and I could continue but you get the point. 

So I think we can safely assume that in Peace Talks there will be some deaths on the good guys side as well bad guys, and as we continue to get nearer to the end of the series the likelihood increases one or more those deaths won't just be anonymous wardens or Senior Council members we've barely met before.  For example, if Ancient Mai or Martha Liberty were to die in the next book; the death of one or both characters might be used to set up some interesting complications within the Council, but they wouldn't have much emotional impact for the readers, because we know so little of either character.

Other than Susan's death, the only other deaths that have hit close to home for Harry have been Kim Delaney's because his decision to withhold information from her may have contributed to her getting killed, and Detective Carmichael because he knew and respected him.  Harry also felt bad about Linda Randall getting killed in Storm Front because he recognized similar patterns in her life to his own.  However, again other than Susan, none of these people had a deep emotional connection to Harry.  Now we know Harry's mother was murdered and it's a strong possibility that his father was too, but Harry didn't go through the first hand experience of losing a family member to violence, these are just things he's learned long after the fact.  Finally, even though Susan's death was very traumatic for Harry, it didn't; at least in the short run, change the trajectory of Harry's life in any significant way, partly because Susan had been out of his life for years before the events in Changes.  Afterwards Harry was still going to get shot, become the Winter Knight and start doing jobs for Mab, even if Susan had lived.  Long term, of course, Harry has a daughter now.

So we are speculating someone close to Harry is likely to die in Peace Talks, but it seems like informed speculation to me; not just a WAG.  To get back to why Ebenezer makes a good candidate; his death has the potential to cause both immediate and long-term complications for Harry, and they would be dangerous ones to boot.     
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:51:22 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
I think we might lose the Merlin, and Harry will find out how much worse his life could be if Arthur Langtry isn't in the top spot.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
I am kinda hoping Lord Raith bites it.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:44:19 AM »
Dunno. Kinda like him like this. :P
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:32:41 AM »
has any one thought about what would happen if Thomas dies. we all ready know he has a child and him having a child would hit home the tragedy of his death .   
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:38:02 AM »
has any one thought about what would happen if Thomas dies. we all ready know he has a child and him having a child would hit home the tragedy of his death .

Skeptical he will die (based on Jim's writing style, and past books).  If he did die I'd think it would be in the BAT.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »
I am kinda hoping Lord Raith bites it.

I think is also possible and perhaps even probable.  I recall that Jim has said that it's known that Lara is running a puppet show, and that she is the de facto ruler of the White Court and House Raith, but everyone is playing along for now.  Though I don't think Jim has said why Lara's potential rivals would do this.  Maybe it has to do with their hatred of overt confrontation.  However, this means that should LR die suddenly, the leadership of the White Court would be up for grabs.  If there are other supernatural murder victims piling up, it could be the perfect cover to add one more to the pile.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
I think is also possible and perhaps even probable.  I recall that Jim has said that it's known that Lara is running a puppet show, and that she is the de facto ruler of the White Court and House Raith, but everyone is playing along for now.  Though I don't think Jim has said why Lara's potential rivals would do this.  Maybe it has to do with their hatred of overt confrontation.  However, this means that should LR die suddenly, the leadership of the White Court would be up for grabs.  If there are other supernatural murder victims piling up, it could be the perfect cover to add one more to the pile.     
It was also that, now that the King had already been reduced to a Puppet, they were hoping to be able to appropriate the strings.  Lara has apparently been too good at the job to let it happen. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »

It depends on what Jim thinks will hurt us most. If Thomas were to die, Harry would suffer. If Justine were to die, Thomas would be in utter anguish, and Harry would get contact suffering from losing a friend, and watching his brother go through hell. We don't really have all that close a connection to Justine as a character, so watching her suffer through Thomas's death wouldn't be all that awful for us; we'd mostly suffer from Harry's pain.

And point of order: Justine's pregnant, Thomas isn't a full dad just yet. Personally, I think the most suffering to be had will be watching Thomas and Justine try to hide their baby from the White Court for the rest of the series—maybe even going so far as to send the kid to live with Aunt Inari and Uncle Bobby.