Author Topic: A new, bigger pistol for Harry  (Read 6421 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
A new, bigger pistol for Harry
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
In Skin Game Harry used a S&W 500...  Well here is an even bigger, more powerful pistol...

magnum research bfr 45-70

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:12:46 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A new, bigger pistol for Harry
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »
Eh, if you need more gun, just go rifle.  Or at least rifle cartridge in a pistol form factor.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:14:51 PM »
I'm preferential to adding a stock to a pistol style weapon. Imagine that^^ with a stock snuggled into your armpit instead? Or better to me a nice 1911.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »
The best thing about a .45 is that they grand perfect aim.

Because when people talk about them, at no point is there the possibility of them missing the shot.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:51:39 PM »
.... I'm going to assume your making a very dry sarcastic remark there, as I've totally fired a .45
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
Hmmm. Harry is a bit lacking in imagination, he should've magicked himself a pocket sized rocket launcher with laser targeting. Ka-blowie.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:07:45 AM »
Eh, if you need more gun, just go rifle.  Or at least rifle cartridge in a pistol form factor.

the 45-70 is a rifle round.  People use it to kill big game, even Elephants.

Here is a cool demonstration video so you get a better idea of the scope of this gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpb-1EdAYoE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:13:36 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 04:22:13 AM »
I'm preferential to adding a stock to a pistol style weapon. Imagine that^^ with a stock snuggled into your armpit instead? Or better to me a nice 1911.

Well the reason I went to this revolver is because Harry has had a progression with his guns:

.44 magnum

All revolvers getting bigger, and more powerful.  Almost like Jim is giving us a scale for comparing earlier Harry to present day Harry  ;)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
.... I'm going to assume your making a very dry sarcastic remark there, as I've totally fired a .45
My point is that when people usually talk about the .45, and compare it with other cartridges, it's all about stopping power, and not once does the possibility of missing a shot come up.  Increased ammo capacity or ease of use, never a factor.  Bullets always go on target every time, and one is all you ever need.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
My point is that when people usually talk about the .45, and compare it with other cartridges, it's all about stopping power, and not once does the possibility of missing a shot come up.  Increased ammo capacity or ease of use, never a factor.  Bullets always go on target every time, and one is all you ever need.

It's a debate that will always be going on.  Some prefer stopping power, some prefer more ammo and less recoil.  Everyone has a bias.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »
With pistols being hard to aim, and use, I'd say more ammo. I like the fact that Harry can't aim well, can relate to that. I prefer rifles though; put the stock to your shoulder, line up the target and make it happen. For close and personal, bashing the target is the way to go, and its much more humiliating.
Wait, was that too CoD?

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
As a bit of a gun nut, I would recommend an FN Five-Seven for Harry.  Quite expensive for a pistol, but holds a "berjillion bullets" as well as having equal knockdown power to larger caliber's like .45s.  As a bonus, it also has considerable armor-penetration capabilities for those critters with tougher skins.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
Hmmm. Harry is a bit lacking in imagination, he should've magicked himself a pocket sized rocket launcher with laser targeting. Ka-blowie.
much too advanced and sensitive, the laser would never work and the launcher would probably blow up in his pocket with the first spell he casts.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
Fun, isn't it? :D

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:23 AM »
From what we saw in Skin Game I get the feeling no gun is big lethal enough for Harry to use effectively against his most dangerous foes.  He might be able to take out a fomor servitor or human flunky, or at least lay down some suppressing fire, but against major supernatural threats any gun Harry can carry isn't going to be much use.  Also, remember that Harry is still a bad shot.  In Cold Days he had to lay his winchester across a flat surface on the tugboat bridge in order to shoot people coming up the stairs from below.  So he couldn't have been firing from a distance of more than 20 ft and probably less than that, but it was the only way he could fire accurately. 

So Harry might be able to continue to use guns in duels against lower level threats.  He might even be able to shoot a wizard who is distracted and not putting up a shield, but as Harry faces larger threats guns are becoming secondary weapons for him to use.  They have specific but very limited uses.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx