Author Topic: Is Mac God?  (Read 13259 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mac God?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 02:24:28 PM »
While I still disagree entirely with your premise (that this universe is caused by the second Pattern) I will admit that in an infinite enough universe (as in Amber) it's possible for there to be a Pattern out there.  Though I don't think it's THE Pattern, because that is counter to the cosmology of the Dresden Files as we know it.  You can only have one real true origin of everything.

That said, in the interest of fairness, I'd point out that Zelazny did insert himself into the Chronicles of Amber as a minor character.  (The guard on the way to the Pattern chamber.)

That said, I disagree with the idea of a truly infinite multiverse that may have Spider-Man or whatnot in it.  But that is because it seems to me that new universes are caused by a free will Choice made by a person, and no Choice a person can make is going to alter the rules of reality enough to make a radioactive spider give someone superpowers and not just make them very sick. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
That said, in the interest of fairness, I'd point out that Zelazny did insert himself into the Chronicles of Amber as a minor character.  (The guard on the way to the Pattern chamber.)

YAY. You did read it.  He was also writing his own book.  This would be another Zelazny like thing to do, Jim writing himself into the story. :)

Though it isn't unique to him of course.

Another thing that can be fitted with the Amber story is the other destroyed Patterns Merlin finds out exists. He is able to restore one of them, but I think there were like 8 of them.  This could be similar to how many Universes that ended up destroyed by Outsiders, that Uriel ended up pulling the plug on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:41:20 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
YAY. You did read it.  He was also writing his own book.  This would be another Zelazny like thing to do, Jim writing himself into the story. :)

Though it isn't unique to him of course.

The biggest example I can think of was Stephen King writing himself a big role in the Dark Tower series.  From my understanding with fans it was hit or miss.  Me personally, I loved it.  I thought it was well done and it worked so well to tie this story to him as his magnus opus. 

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
The biggest example I can think of was Stephen King writing himself a big role in the Dark Tower series.  From my understanding with fans it was hit or miss.  Me personally, I loved it.  I thought it was well done and it worked so well to tie this story to him as his magnus opus.

His main appearances were acceptable, but the Id/Ego/Superego Stephen King Triplets was a bridge too far.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
yes I agree with that.  It was a stretch. 

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
Ooh, how about this instead, Mac is Robert zelazny, or Jim Butcher for that matter.  Either fits the same role, they each are creating a multiverse and so are Gods of it.  And again, in the case of Jim Butcher, having Mac be one of Jim's playing characters could fit the same role too.

Hmm. I could see him pulling an Alfred Hitchcock/Peter Jackson and making himself appear as a cameo. Not sure where, though. Mac doesn't seem enough like what little I know about Mr. Butcher. I would imagine someone snarkier, and more into either a martial art or a game-type pastime.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Hey. 

What about “Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!”

Jim and his friends are playing a LARP within Dresdenverse.

We do have a WOJ that says if Harry ever met Jim, Harry would punch Jim.  So maybe Harry will end up punching Darth Bathrobe. :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:40:33 PM by raidem »

Offline Graves

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
agatha christie wrote a parody of herself in the Hercule Poroit  serries, Ariadne Oliver. it's a comic character she inflicted on her hero.

is mac A god, maybe. is he THE God? nope.
Five words only: We are kids next door!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
I never argued Mac is God in the sense of say Father of Jesus.  It was more along the lines of God of a fictional metaverse.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
I never argued Mac is God in the sense of say Father of Jesus.  It was more along the lines of God of a fictional metaverse.
So God as in the actual Creator entity, just not necessarily related to the in-world Abrahamic religions and/or the Angelic Team
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
Yeah.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
I just had this thought in another thread, Mac could be a corwin like character who walked a pattern which either created a new universe or opened a way to it.  In the case of opening a way rather than creating the universe, Mac can be not God but some entity that allowed travel between multiverse/universes.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I just had this thought in another thread, Mac could be a corwin like character who walked a pattern which either created a new universe or opened a way to it.  In the case of opening a way rather than creating the universe, Mac can be not God but some entity that allowed travel between multiverse/universes.

Maybe....  Watcher could be some sort of Mantle/Celestial Being that monitors realities, and the travel between them.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
It would explain why Mac is a being that HWWBefore took note of.  It would/could also explain why Mac has so many Mirrors in his Bar.  He is also keeping tabs on things elsewhere.  It goes along with my WAG that Mac's Bar isn't just a place in one reality but that it has some significance across realities.  It exists as some multiversal Pub in some respects.  I mentioned before the changing sign at his bar noting ACCORDED NEUTRAL TERRITORY vs ACCORDED NEUTRAL GROUND vs ...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:41:31 PM by raidem »