Author Topic: I love you  (Read 6263 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
I love you
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »
Ok, we have fairly guessed that the pivotal choice in Grave Peril will be Harry not telling Susan "I love you" which will cause a splintered Mirror Mirror reality.  Harry will after having visited Mirror Mirror and somehow later form the conclusion that he hadn't told Susan "I love you".  Now, will he ever use this knowledge to tell Murphy "I love you."

The problem with these books written months to a year apart is we can't be certain Harry hasn't told Murphy "I love you."  So, will this "I love you" moment become important in the plot later with another person like Murphy, Mab...

I also posted this question because I don't believe Harry has yet to tell Murphy "I love you."

UPDATED:2/16/18
HARRY DID SAY "LOVE YOU, TOO" TO KARRIN:
Murphy turned to me. She reached up with both hands, put them on the sides of my head, and pulled me down a little. Then she kissed my forehead and my mouth, neither quickly nor with passion. Then she let me go and looked up at me, her eyes worried and calm. "You know that I love you, Harry. You're a good man. A good friend."
I gave her a lopsided smile. "Don't go all gushy on me, Murph."
She shook her head. "I'm serious. Don't get yourself killed. Kick whatsoever ass you need to in order to make that happen." She looked down. "My world would be a scarier place without you in it."
I chewed my lip for a second, feeling very awkward. Then I said, "I'd rather have you covering my back than anyone in the world, Karrin." I cleared my throat. "You might be the best friend I've ever had."
She blinked quickly several times and shook her head. "Okay. This is going somewhere awkward."
"Maybe we should take it from ‘whatsoever ass,' " I suggested.
She nodded. "Find him. Kick his ass."
"That is the plan," I confirmed. Then I bent down and kissed her forehead and her mouth, gently, and leaned my forehead against hers. "Love you, too," I whispered.(edited)
The "I love you" problem with Murphy has been averted :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:49:06 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: I love you
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
Something like that I don't expect to happen off screen. 

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
I agree, this will probably happen on screen, but I think the bigger question would be what are the implications stemming from him telling Murphy moving forward? Obviously he will be protected from the Wamps love mojo, but is there something more other than just drama?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
I agree, this will probably happen on screen, but I think the bigger question would be what are the implications stemming from him telling Murphy moving forward? Obviously he will be protected from the Wamps love mojo, but is there something more other than just drama?

He won't necessarily be protected from the Wampires.  As Thomas said, TRUE love is rare.  I think both Harry and Karrin have too much baggage to experience it again.  But who knows really.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
Ok, we have fairly guessed that the pivotal choice in Grave Peril will be Harry not telling Susan "I love you" which will cause a splintered Mirror Mirror reality.  Harry will after having visited Mirror Mirror and somehow later form the conclusion that he hadn't told Susan "I love you".  Now, will he ever use this knowledge to tell Murphy "I love you."

The problem with these books written months to a year apart is we can't be certain Harry hasn't told Murphy "I love you."  So, will this "I love you" moment become important in the plot later with another person like Murphy, Mab...

I also posted this question because I don't believe Harry has yet to tell Murphy "I love you."

Maybe..  Or deciding to leave the party with Susan, and leaving Michael to die, and one of the Swords to be destroyed.  Harry tossed the idea around in his head before he decided to back Michael.  He was given the choice.  Who is your guest?  Michael, or Susan?  If he chose Susan he could have walked right out.  He chose to stay, fight, and lose Susan (basically), and start a war.  Or he could have left with Susan, and a KoTC would have been slain, Excalibur destroyed, the Red Court war would have been postponed.. 

Personally at the moment I'm leaning towards Harry leaving with Susan. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:51:06 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
I should amend my comment.  I think we will see the first time Harry says "I love you."

It may however have happened before the start of the next book, but be shown in a flashback if it's at all relevant to the plot. 

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
Maybe..  Or deciding to leave the party with Susan, and leaving Michael to die, and one of the Swords to be destroyed.  Harry tossed the idea around in his head before he decided to back Michael.  He was given the choice.  Who is your guest?  Michael, or Susan?  If he chose Susan he could have walked right out.  He chose to stay, fight, and lose Susan (basically), and start a war.  Or he could have left with Susan, and a KoTC would have been slain, Excalibur destroyed, the Red Court war would have been postponed.. 

Personally at the moment I'm leaning towards Harry leaving with Susan.

This choice seems like a good one to me, but it doesn't happen near the end of the book; and Jim stated the choice Harry made happened near the end of Grave Peril.  So, if you think that Harry saying "I love you" to Susan is too easy; or actually it wasn't a choice at all, it was a spontaneous utterance that Harry didn't think about or weigh the consequences of saying something else, there is one other choice Harry made that happens much nearer to the end of the book.  Harry could have killed Thomas; or actually I think Michael would have done it, when Thomas was trying to get Harry's help.  In fact, Michael was pushing pretty hard for the "let's have done with it and just kill the vampire" option.  For a moment it looked like Harry might go along with that option.

Think of the ramifications of making that choice.  It would have poisoned Harry's friendship with Michael, but only after Harry discovered the truth of what he had done. Thomas had information on where Susan and Justine had been taken.  So without that knowledge to go on Susan would have been turned and Justine would have died.  Harry would have realized he had made a mistake; and I think Michael too, if they had killed Thomas and then found out he had brought Amorachius to them.  In this scenario it would have taken some time for Harry to learn the truth.  The other possibility is having no real clues to go on Harry would have tried the break-in to Bianca's place anyway.  He would have ended up in same cell but while talking to Justine he would have told her that Thomas was dead and she would have told Harry that Thomas was his brother.  Now in this scenario Harry is still dealing with an infected Susan about go full vamp on him.  I'm not sure how this plays out.  Also, Harry still had to get his mojo back from Kravos' shade and he needed Susan help to pull it off.

Those issues aside, I think this alternative choice pushes Harry to the darkside as much or more than any other he could have made.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
This choice seems like a good one to me, but it doesn't happen near the end of the book; and Jim stated the choice Harry made happened near the end of Grave Peril.  So, if you think that Harry saying "I love you" to Susan is too easy; or actually it wasn't a choice at all, it was a spontaneous utterance that Harry didn't think about or weigh the consequences of saying something else, there is one other choice Harry made that happens much nearer to the end of the book.  Harry could have killed Thomas; or actually I think Michael would have done it, when Thomas was trying to get Harry's help.  In fact, Michael was pushing pretty hard for the "let's have done with it and just kill the vampire" option.  For a moment it looked like Harry might go along with that option.

Think of the ramifications of making that choice.  It would have poisoned Harry's friendship with Michael, but only after Harry discovered the truth of what he had done. Thomas had information on where Susan and Justine had been taken.  So without that knowledge to go on Susan would have been turned and Justine would have died.  Harry would have realized he had made a mistake; and I think Michael too, if they had killed Thomas and then found out he had brought Amorachius to them.  In this scenario it would have taken some time for Harry to learn the truth.  The other possibility is having no real clues to go on Harry would have tried the break-in to Bianca's place anyway.  He would have ended up in same cell but while talking to Justine he would have told her that Thomas was dead and she would have told Harry that Thomas was his brother.  Now in this scenario Harry is still dealing with an infected Susan about go full vamp on him.  I'm not sure how this plays out.  Also, Harry still had to get his mojo back from Kravos' shade and he needed Susan help to pull it off.

Those issues aside, I think this alternative choice pushes Harry to the darkside as much or more than any other he could have made.

I see there being 2 big decisions.  The one of leaving with Susan, or saying "I love you".  The "I love you" was foreshadowed earlier in the book with Michael, and Harry's conversation.  So it's a good bet that's the choice.  Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Jim had some different Choices like that in the book (even killing Thomas as you said), with the idea that he'd have a few different avenues to go based on how he felt, and then made the final decision later on which alternate reality story he wanted to go with.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:22:54 AM »
Even if the I love you isn't the single choice, it still plays a large part of the background of grave peril.

Early on Michael was wanting, stressing importance for Harry to say that to Susan.  And we learn that when Harry did do so, he broke leas binding on Susan's memories.

We learn early on the power of those three words.  I think there will be a replay but to save mab from the mantle, or something similar.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:27:03 AM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
Even if the I love you isn't the single choice, it still plays a large part of the background of grave peril.

Early on Michael was wanting, stressing importance for Harry to say that to Susan.  And we learn that when Harry did do so, he broke leas binding on Susan's memories.

We learn early on the power of those three words.  I think there will be a replay but to save mab from the mantle, or something similar.

You know it also may give a glimpse into something else.  Love may not just be a weakness of the White Court, the Winter Court may hold a similar weakness.  Of course it could also be that love is very powerful, period.  But Winter doesn't have much room for love, the emotion may be a way for Harry to separate himself from the Mantle when he wants to be himself for a time, like when Vadderung isn't Santa Clause.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »
You know it also may give a glimpse into something else.  Love may not just be a weakness of the White Court, the Winter Court may hold a similar weakness.  Of course it could also be that love is very powerful, period.  But Winter doesn't have much room for love, the emotion may be a way for Harry to separate himself from the Mantle when he wants to be himself for a time, like when Voadderung isn't Santa Clause.

Not a bad idea.  It's probably not as simple as saying "I love you" (and the whole true love thing), but it might be a part of what could Harry free from Winter.  Mab being such a lawyer, I imagine some negotiations or Winter Law might play a part.  Isn't it convenient; for Mab that is, that Harry hasn't been given any knowledge of Winter Law.  Mab could have the laws printed for Harry to learn, but she prefers that Harry just run into them from time to time.  If knowledge is power then Mab is making sure that Harry has only enough power to do her dirty work and no more.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »
I see there being 2 big decisions.  The one of leaving with Susan, or saying "I love you".  The "I love you" was foreshadowed earlier in the book with Michael, and Harry's conversation.  So it's a good bet that's the choice.
Yea i'm betting the whole thing culminates in the "i love her" but starts with Micheal pushing him to admit it to begin with.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Jim had some different Choices like that in the book (even killing Thomas as you said), with the idea that he'd have a few different avenues to go based on how he felt, and then made the final decision later on which alternate reality story he wanted to go with.
I bet we'll see more than one of those choices.

*Harry choosing to save Charity always struck me as a big point(despite being firmly in the middle) because it directly effected the Naming of their unborn son/his birth. What if he wasn't born or not born a 'Harry'? In a verse were names matter...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
Isn't it convenient; for Mab that is, that Harry hasn't been given any knowledge of Winter Law.  Mab could have the laws printed for Harry to learn, but she prefers that Harry just run into them from time to time.  If knowledge is power then Mab is making sure that Harry has only enough power to do her dirty work and no more.

I agree she is keeping him in the dark to further her own causes, but I also think that if Harry bothered there is an understanding of winter law built in to his Mantle.  I remember a scene with Toot where they were talking about the law and too was talking about how does Harry not know, that it is instinctual for winter fae.  I know Harry isn't a winter Fae, but his mantle makes him mostly Winter Fae when he uses it. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
I think if Harry heavily drew upon and merged more fully with the mantle he'd get get access to the winter laws.  He still would have free will but he needs to get over the fear of the mantle and have faith in himself.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
I think if Harry heavily drew upon and merged more fully with the mantle he'd get get access to the winter laws.  He still would have free will but he needs to get over the fear of the mantle and have faith in himself.
Im pretty sure we saw exactly that happening at the end of CD, and there werre bigger problems with it than just a lack of faith or fear of the Mantle; it nearly very drove him savagely insane.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain