Author Topic: What do you think something has to have to be Urban Fantasy?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What do you think something has to have to be Urban Fantasy?
« on: November 22, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
I'm just curious, what do you all think are the things that something has to touch on to be urban fantasy?

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think something has to have to be Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
Ingredient 1: a modern city. Modern as in: industrial age. Technology rules. The city is filled with normal people living normal lives.

Ingredient 2: something supernatural lives in the city, usually unbeknownst by the majority of the people.

Everything else is optional.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
Ingredient 1: a modern city. Modern as in: industrial age. Technology rules. The city is filled with normal people living normal lives.
Ingredient 2: something supernatural lives in the city, usually unbeknownst by the majority of the people.

I disagree on the first count, definitely.

Walter Jon Williams' Metropolitan and City on Fire are set in a planet-covering city behind a mysterious Shield where magic arises naturally from the arrangements of buildings, in a feng shui sort of way, and is tapped and provided as a utility like electricity.  I think of that as urban fantasy, as being probably as urban as it's possible for fantasy to get, but it's not remotely modern, and the lives of the normal people there are not normal by our standards. 

Also, arguably, Perdido Street Station. Fantasy world of a sort, but very very urban, and it includes steampunky robots and demons and peculiar Lovecraft-like aliens with wild abandon.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
I disagree on the first count, definitely.

Walter Jon Williams' Metropolitan and City on Fire are set in a planet-covering city behind a mysterious Shield where magic arises naturally from the arrangements of buildings, in a feng shui sort of way, and is tapped and provided as a utility like electricity.  I think of that as urban fantasy, as being probably as urban as it's possible for fantasy to get, but it's not remotely modern, and the lives of the normal people there are not normal by our standards. 
I'd actually call that Sci-fi, rather than Urban Fantasy.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »
I'd actually call that Sci-fi, rather than Urban Fantasy.

Of arguments of definition of that particular line, there is no end.  I think of these books as fantasy because a) it's clearly magic, not some advanced science being treated as magic, and b) the author talks about them as fantasy.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:37:55 PM »
I believe Qualapec didn't ask for any sort of genre definition but what each of us thinks of as necessary ingredients to an Urban fantasy setting.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:50:24 PM »
Of arguments of definition of that particular line, there is no end.  I think of these books as fantasy because a) it's clearly magic, not some advanced science being treated as magic, and b) the author talks about them as fantasy.
DUde, this is one of those things where we have different opinions.
I havent' read the material in question, but from your description, it sounds like magic is scientifically approached, from a high tech sophisticated society. I consider that sci fi.
Please note, it's just my opinion.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
Take a helping of Fiction and add a dash of fantasy/supernatural and viola

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 02:13:06 AM »
You might as well ask the difference between scifi and fantasy.  You're going to get many different answers.

To boil it down to basics, Urban Fantasy has an urban and a fantasy element in it.

In my opinion, it's any kind of fantasy in a modern setting.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 07:02:25 AM »
Yeah, I think the presence of technology is essential.  Without it, you have a classic fantasy set in a city.  The Hawk and Fisher books by Simon Green, and Cook's series about the private investigator that I can't currently think of the name of.  They are gritty storis set in an urban setting, but they are not really urban fantasy.

It does not have to be modern day tech, however.  Lillity Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series is an Urban fantasy set in the future.

Just my 2 bits worth.
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.