Author Topic: Could Maggie have taken up a Coin?  (Read 20950 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Could Maggie have taken up a Coin?
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »
Given Raith's protection from magic, and the fact that her death curse is apparently anchored to her children, I imagine it was more complicated than Cassius' curse, which wasn't very potent and only marginally effective, given that Harry had both Mab (the presumed whisperer) and Bonnie with him when he died.

Well, kind of what I was thinking was that using a birth to power some kind of spell was required for the Raith deal. We assume it was her death curse, but what if she used Harry's birth to anchor this reverse-bloodline-curse that she leveled against Papa Raith? I've even toyed with the idea that the thing was anchored at both ends; as long as the curse was in effect (i.e., Raith is still alive and hungry), Harry and Thomas (and by extension, Maggie and Ebenezer) were offered some kind of protection. It could have been what kept Harry hidden from Raith all those years; the old King would certainly have wanted Harry dead as soon as he realized what was done to him, rather than wait, you know, thirty-something years.

As for the Coin, I don't know about Lasciel. She knew something about her and what took place with the White Court, but we don't know that she knows anything more than the rest of the Nickelheads Nicodemus keeps with him—Nic mentions that he knew and respected Margaret in Death Masks over his creepy-calm torture breakfast. Namshiel is interesting, and I got the feeling that Thorny goes through hosts relatively quickly, considering that he's never seen outside his shapeshifted form. I don't think that Margaret would have accepted a Coin from something that was so dominating, however. Lasciel is a better fit for her personality.

Against that, however, I absolutely believe that Lasciel would have started talking smack about Harry's mom in Hades's Vault, though. She wouldn't have been able to help herself, and nothing would have cut Harry more than this exchange:

"No one's ever turned me down before, Harry. Not once. Not even your mother."

I'd imagine Harry would have gone into a miniature mental tailspin from that, and Lasciel would've wanted to twist the knife—so would Ascher.

Rosanna is a possibility; even the Poor Demon Girl act would have been compatible with what we know about Margaret's personality (as in, I could see Margaret pulling it off).

Still, Namshiel's possible infection makes him a strong candidate; I believe Margaret's overriding goal for a long time was stopping the Outsiders, and putting a Denarian in the line of fire of Nemesis is too tantalizing to ignore for me. I just don't think I could reconcile that with Margaret's personality.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 04:06:18 PM »
Lord Raith may not have known that Harry existed for a while. He probably didn't know about Maggie Sr.'s marriage -- if he had known that much about her, he probably would've been able to get to her sooner.

And he may not have known the exact mechanics of the curse against him. It's not like it would've popped up with an infobox detailing what's keeping it on him -- just, one day after he killed Maggie Sr., he couldn't feed. He might have guessed/presumed it was her death curse, but even if he did know it was anchored to her bloodline, he would've thought of Thomas first -- and given he didn't start trying to kill him when he was five, he apparently didn't know this for a while.

Long enough to have completely lost track of Harry and Malcolm Dresden, if he even knew about them in the first place. Hell, if he was aware of Malcolm Dresden, he's probably the type who would've tried to kill him immediately for the crime of taking a woman that Raith believed was his.

So to my mind, evidence points to Raith simply not knowing the nature of the curse against him or Harry's existence until much later in life.

So I don't think any protection was necessary. Ebenezer certainly didn't need it, and Harry was plenty protected by being Harry Dresden and not Harry McCoy.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Lord Raith may not have known that Harry existed for a while. He probably didn't know about Maggie Sr.'s marriage -- if he had known that much about her, he probably would've been able to get to her sooner.

And he may not have known the exact mechanics of the curse against him. It's not like it would've popped up with an infobox detailing what's keeping it on him -- just, one day after he killed Maggie Sr., he couldn't feed. He might have guessed/presumed it was her death curse, but even if he did know it was anchored to her bloodline, he would've thought of Thomas first -- and given he didn't start trying to kill him when he was five, he apparently didn't know this for a while.

Long enough to have completely lost track of Harry and Malcolm Dresden, if he even knew about them in the first place. Hell, if he was aware of Malcolm Dresden, he's probably the type who would've tried to kill him immediately for the crime of taking a woman that Raith believed was his.

So to my mind, evidence points to Raith simply not knowing the nature of the curse against him or Harry's existence until much later in life.

So I don't think any protection was necessary. Ebenezer certainly didn't need it, and Harry was plenty protected by being Harry Dresden and not Harry McCoy.

True enough; my thinking was that Harry was in The System for years, and Raith was smart enough to figure things out. It may have taken a while, but it's not like Harry was hidden. There was definitely some kind of paper trail. Raith must've realized what Margaret did to him eventually.

Regardless, I went back and read the WOJ on death curses, and he does specify that what Margaret did to Raith was a death curse, so the point is moot.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »

Maggie getting hit with the curse while she was in labor with Harry seems pretty unlikely that Raith wasn't aware of her pregnancy...  What are the odds the curse would hit right at that time? 

Personally I'm wondering if he wasn't actually the one behind it, and it's just been assumed the entire time he was.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
Maggie getting hit with the curse while she was in labor with Harry seems pretty unlikely that Raith wasn't aware of her pregnancy...  What are the odds the curse would hit right at that time? 

Personally I'm wondering if he wasn't actually the one behind it, and it's just been assumed the entire time he was.
That is a sticky point, yeah. Though there are ways he could have found out that she was pregnant without knowing the details. And he may have assumed the child had died, too.

Off the top of my head...
He could've been looking for her the whole time, but she was shielding herself until labor forced her to let her guard down.
He could've had his supernatural contacts on the look out for when she emerged and was vulnerable, and got the tip off right as it was happening.
He might have only gotten in touch with HWWB recently, and the timing of the birth was a coincidence or influenced by HWWB.
He might have just let fly with the spell without having any idea where she was or what she was doing, and the stress of getting hit with the spell induced the labor.

Because I think we can agree that if Lord Raith had known about Harry at that point, he would have taken a shot at him unless something was stopping him; either, as you suggest, Maggie Sr. did something to that effect (the deal with Lea, though, is more likely to account for such a thing, I think); or Lord Raith simply didn't know Harry was out there as a target.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
That is a sticky point, yeah. Though there are ways he could have found out that she was pregnant without knowing the details. And he may have assumed the child had died, too.

Off the top of my head...
He could've been looking for her the whole time, but she was shielding herself until labor forced her to let her guard down.
He could've had his supernatural contacts on the look out for when she emerged and was vulnerable, and got the tip off right as it was happening.
He might have only gotten in touch with HWWB recently, and the timing of the birth was a coincidence or influenced by HWWB.
He might have just let fly with the spell without having any idea where she was or what she was doing, and the stress of getting hit with the spell induced the labor.

Because I think we can agree that if Lord Raith had known about Harry at that point, he would have taken a shot at him unless something was stopping him; either, as you suggest, Maggie Sr. did something to that effect (the deal with Lea, though, is more likely to account for such a thing, I think); or Lord Raith simply didn't know Harry was out there as a target.

My guess for why he didn't go after Harry was because he believed Harry was dead (people behind the scenes made sure of this), or Lea made it clear to him that Harry was under her protection and he isn't as immune to her if she decides to kill him. 

Another possible thing could be that Raith was so freaked out by not being able to feed, he didn't give a crap about Harry being alive, or dead.  He was too distracted by his own problem.  He wouldn't have known the spell was anchored to her sons or Thomas would have been killed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:30:19 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »

Ideas for Maggie in her Coin battle form :-D

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
Those are some interesting images.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »

Ideas for Maggie in her Coin battle form :-D
I think Margaret would go for more of a human look.  I don't see her going demonic.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
I think Margaret would go for more of a human look.  I don't see her going demonic.

Good call.  Do the people have a choice with appearance when they have the Coin?  What was Maggie's magical specialty?

Fire?

Being in touch with the nevernever?

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 06:12:26 PM »
  In Blood Rites Lord Raith tells Harry he heard the conversation between Harry and Thomas in the portrait room.
  He did not know Harry was Thomas' brother before that.  So, I don't think he realized Harry is the son of Margaret LeFay.  Many do know that, but it is a detail Lord Raith might have missed.

APG

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »
  In Blood Rites Lord Raith tells Harry he heard the conversation between Harry and Thomas in the portrait room.
  He did not know Harry was Thomas' brother before that.  So, I don't think he realized Harry is the son of Margaret LeFay.  Many do know that, but it is a detail Lord Raith might have missed.

APG

Fair enough. I usually start my re-reads Dead Beat, and wind up skipping over Blood Rites (least favorite in the series), so my memory of it isn't as clear as I'd like it to be.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »

APG

Because Lord Raith is apparently an idiot.

Like really dude? It's very much public knowledge. It was at his trial. Nick knows, as do random low-level demons. Thomas knew for years at this point.

And yet you, Mr Super-Vamp leader of the White Court, only just realized?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:50 PM »
Because Lord Raith is apparently an idiot.

Like really dude? It's very much public knowledge. It was at his trial. Nick knows, as do random low-level demons. Thomas knew for years at this point.

And yet you, Mr Super-Vamp leader of the White Court, only just realized?
Repeat after me: The characters do not have access to the information we do. Just because a character doesn't have access to all 15 books and WOJ does not make them an idiot.

It's never been "public knowledge." What makes you think that White Council trials are public? They don't exactly put a notice in the local paper.

Even if it was knowledge among the wizards, what's the big thing wizards are known for? Not sharing what they know.

Nick knew Maggie personally, and, unlike Lord Raith, did have a frame of reference for how family works. It's a plot point in Changes that Lord Raith didn't even catch on that Maggie and Ebenezer were related, remember.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:25:36 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 01:28:24 AM »
If Thomas knew -before he'd even met Harry at that- then obviously the information was out there readily available. Lord Raith just didn't care enough to find out.

Also, Raith totally knew how family works. He deliberately instilled a sense of family loyalty in his children to make them less likely to rebel against him, remember?