Author Topic: Could Maggie have taken up a Coin?  (Read 20862 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Maggie have taken up a Coin?
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
"Your mother was a most direct and willful woman. Her loss was a great sadness to all of us." - Chauncy

Chauncy also stated that the she slipped from the dark prince's grasp....  So it begs the question, did she like Harry take up a Coin at one point?  It in my opinion also reinforces the theory that Malcolm at one point may have taken up a Sword. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Could Maggie have taken up a Coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
When this was brought up before and nic chose lasciel for Harry, I and others wondered if Maggie Sr had worn lasciel.

It has been argued that Malcolm was a knight of the cross.

One crazy wag of mine has Harry descending from nic via Malcolm.  I even proposed that Malcolm is a redeemed, 2nd chanced nic.  So in my theory, Malcolm would be both denarian and knight of the cross.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:19:54 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
The same reasons I doubt she had a Mantle make me doubt she had a Coin.  I don't think she would have taken power at the cost of giving someone else that kind of control over her.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
I think if Malcolm was a KotC, he was one of the one-shots.  I proposed this theory before:  Maggie is hiding out, working for Malcolm.  She is found and attacked by creatures, either outsiders or denarians or both.  The Knights show up, including the wielder of Amoracchius before Micheal.  During the battle, Amoracchius is separated from it's wielder.  Malcolm, being in love with Maggie, is able to take up the Sword.

Maggie, knowing the nature of the Sword, realizes that Malcolm truly loves her and falls in love with him.  This could have burned out any influence over her, even from a shade of Lasciel.  After, the Knights take Amoracchius and Malcolm and Maggie go back into hiding.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
As an addendum to the WAG's, I wouldn't mind finding out that Harry descends from Nic and Tessa :)

Talking about one screwball family tree.  It would also make Nic and the Fallen extra involved in matters behind the scenes in Changes.  We did see all three Swords come out for that show.  There may have been Fallen coins that came out too but not against the Swords, against the RCV.

Adding to this speculation, I wonder if there were any Fallen involved in the Grey Council.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:11:49 PM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »
The same reasons I doubt she had a Mantle make me doubt she had a Coin.  I don't think she would have taken power at the cost of giving someone else that kind of control over her.

Like having sex with a White Court vampire?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Like having sex with a White Court vampire?
That is fair.  I'd think that she might think she's got enough strength of will to resist a Wampire, but that same thing applies for having a Coin.  Especially with Nic to serve as an example.

I still doubt it, but the control thing seems less of an argument than I originally figured.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:13 AM »
That is fair.  I'd think that she might think she's got enough strength of will to resist a Wampire, but that same thing applies for having a Coin.  Especially with Nic to serve as an example.

I still doubt it, but the control thing seems less of an argument than I originally figured.

I actually agree with you on her not giving up her freedom easily.  It does seem though that for wizards who get in the mix of things they find themselves in situations where their choices are limited.  So I could see her (like Harry) getting into a situation where she gives up freedom in exchange for some kind of power because she feels she has no other options (even if there are)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:56 AM »
I mean it could be just me but:

"It is relevant," Lasciel said, "because of the circumstances of your birth - because of why you were born, Harry. Your mother found the strength to escape Lord Raith for a reason."

This sounds to me like she's speaking about someone she knew personally.

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 02:21:40 PM »
  It does seem possible Margaret LeFae was a holder of Lasciel's coin.  There are two things that are against that idea though.
  Neither Nicodemus nor Lasciel ever told Harry his mother was a previous holder.  Why not?  It would have been a strong argument to persuade Harry to try it as well.
  The other thing is, with Lasciel's help, Margaret should not have been vulnerable to Lord Raith.  Lasciel should have been able to block the sex whammy thing for her.

APG

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
It could be that to more fully use Lasciel to protect her, she'd further lose herself.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
  It does seem possible Margaret LeFae was a holder of Lasciel's coin.  There are two things that are against that idea though.
  Neither Nicodemus nor Lasciel ever told Harry his mother was a previous holder.  Why not?  It would have been a strong argument to persuade Harry to try it as well.
  The other thing is, with Lasciel's help, Margaret should not have been vulnerable to Lord Raith.  Lasciel should have been able to block the sex whammy thing for her.

APG

She could have taken up the coin after leaving PR, in order to block the whammy.  Nic wouldn't necessarily know.  Lasciel could have been conspiring with Maggie against Nic, and thus keeps this knowledge from him.  Not telling Harry for fear that he would spill it to Nic and blow the plot.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
The timing for Maggie to get the coin after leaving Raith isn't impossible, but is very unlikely.  She met Malcolm shortly after leaving Raith, and had Harry shortly after that.  And I can't imagine her having a coin while carrying Harry.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
I'd say it's probably a given that Nicodemus offered her a coin, and Maggie was apparently short-sighted enough to have taken one.

Could it have been Lasciel? I'm not sure. I feel like Nicodemus would have mentioned so to taunt Dresden with the fact. But then in her final scene Lasciel does say she knows some of what Harry's mother was up to.

What makes you so certain this is the case?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »

APG

Well at this point Maggie had met Harry's father, and had changed.  If the theory that he was a KoTC, or even if he wasn't.  If she really loved him, and it sounds like she did, she'd have probably given up the Coin.

If it was Lasciel it makes even more sense why she chose Harry.  I believe (and could be wrong) that Lasciel requested Harry, and Nicodemus found it curious.  How better to get back at the woman who refused her than to ensnare her son.