Author Topic: Harry Is Growing Up  (Read 4598 times)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Harry Is Growing Up
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
I was talking with a friend about the Dresden Files books.  He commented that Harry has done a complete 180 on the wardens.  At first he hated and feared them.  He resented the hell out of being conscripted into them.  Now, he noted, Harry seems to have embraced the role.

I told him it's because Harry grew up.  At first he was like our real world young people (we call them millennials today, but they have been part of every generation) feeling resentment that the world isn't the way they think it should be.  But as Harry has grown, he has learned and come to understand better why the council does things the way it does, why the wardens are like they are, and why Morgan treated him like he did.  And by understanding, he can become partner to it because he can see the necessity of it.

My question:  what other ways has Harry 'grown up' during the series?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Is Growing Up
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
Free Will.  He respects other's Right to make their own decisions, specifically Informed Decisions, and understands that if he respects them he has to respect their Choices even if he disagrees with them, or fears for them.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
Free Will.  He respects other's Right to make their own decisions, specifically Informed Decisions, and understands that if he respects them he has to respect their Choices even if he disagrees with them, or fears for them.

Springboarding of Quantus a bit. I think the Right to Informed Consent/Decisions is a huge sign of growth. Harry started the series with not sharing anything with others out of fear of causing more damage. He gradually opened up to Murphy and the Alphas as he recognized that not knowing was actually dangerous to them and in a sense sabotaging their free will. In Changes he chose to lay everything on the table with Molly instead of protecting her so that she could make an informed choice.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
Springboarding of Quantus a bit. I think the Right to Informed Consent/Decisions is a huge sign of growth. Harry started the series with not sharing anything with others out of fear of causing more damage. He gradually opened up to Murphy and the Alphas as he recognized that not knowing was actually dangerous to them and in a sense sabotaging their free will. In Changes he chose to lay everything on the table with Molly instead of protecting her so that she could make an informed choice.
The death of Kim Delaney was a big turning point for him on this, I suspect.  Though it was also a series of punches: Kim, then Murphy (Nightmare), then Susan, then Shiro.  All of these were instances where somebody (usually him) kept secrets from others "for their own good" and it ended up screwing things over even worse than they'd feared.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
I would say being a father will also have a great "Growing up" effect on Harry.

He'd already sort of gotten a taste of this through his teaching of Molly.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
How old is he supposed to be now? Forties?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
Early 40s. He was 25 during Storm Front.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
The death of Kim Delaney was a big turning point for him on this, I suspect.  Though it was also a series of punches: Kim, then Murphy (Nightmare), then Susan, then Shiro.  All of these were instances where somebody (usually him) kept secrets from others "for their own good" and it ended up screwing things over even worse than they'd feared.

The thing is, sometimes that backfires too.  There are times when people really are better off not knowing, and times when they need to know.

For example, Harry didn't tell Murphy the truth about the Council or how the supernatural world worked until Grave Peril.  He was afraid telling her would get her hurt or killed.

Was he right to keep her in the dark?  He might well have been, at that time.  By the time he did tell her, Murphy had experienced her encounter with the loup garou that changed her outlook radically.  Before that, she was a lot less realistic about her options.

Imagine Harry tells the Karrin of the first two books that there exists an organization that maintains squads of killers, who consider themselves entitled to enter Chicago any time they want, cut the heads off of children and teenagers at their own discretion, that he knows their names and of some specific cases, never reported it, and she has to leave them alone and not I interfere with it.

Do you think the Murphy of those days could have stood to do it, or to accept that there really are people and individuals whom she has to treat as above the law?  Or would she have done what she considered her duty (in the eyes of the law, it would be her duty) and arrest Harry and try to go after the Wardens and expose/stop them?

If the later, stop and think what probably happens to her, to Harry, to the Murphy family, to others.  The least bad outcome would be Murphy goes to prison on some framed up charge, and gets to be a cop behind bars.  It could be far worse.

Even as late as Grave Peril, she freaks out when Harry tells her he was present for the beheading of a warlock in Chicago, part of her wanted to go after them, and by then she had learned from hard experience that the supernatural was bigger than the law.

Likewise Susan.  Harry held very little back from her, and what he told her led her to seek out more, and ended up destroying her.  Susan would have been far better off if she'd never learned of the supernatural at all.

When to inform people, and when to keep them in the dark, is a hard choice and doesn't have easy answers.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:53:03 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:26:23 AM »
I was talking with a friend about the Dresden Files books.  He commented that Harry has done a complete 180 on the wardens.  At first he hated and feared them.  He resented the hell out of being conscripted into them.  Now, he noted, Harry seems to have embraced the role.

I told him it's because Harry grew up.  At first he was like our real world young people (we call them millennials today, but they have been part of every generation) feeling resentment that the world isn't the way they think it should be.  But as Harry has grown, he has learned and come to understand better why the council does things the way it does, why the wardens are like they are, and why Morgan treated him like he did.  And by understanding, he can become partner to it because he can see the necessity of it.

My question:  what other ways has Harry 'grown up' during the series?

He no longer always lets his 'chivalrous' side rule him.  See his reaction to Lasciel's host, as he himself admits, the younger Harry would have been suckered by her act.

He accepts that sometimes some problems just don't have solutions, and just can't be fixed.  For ex, he kept quiet about Marcone and Persephone.

Every once in a while, he reigns in his tongue.  For him, that's major progress.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
I think the Goodman twist was a nice bit of pre-planning a problem instead of rushing headlong.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
The thing is, sometimes that backfires too.  There are times when people really are better off not knowing, and times when they need to know.

For example, Harry didn't tell Murphy the truth about the Council or how the supernatural world worked until Grave Peril.  He was afraid telling her would get her hurt or killed.

Was he right to keep her in the dark?  He might well have been, at that time.  By the time he did tell her, Murphy had experienced her encounter with the loup garou that changed her outlook radically.  Before that, she was a lot less realistic about her options.

Imagine Harry tells the Karrin of the first two books that there exists an organization that maintains squads of killers, who consider themselves entitled to enter Chicago any time they want, cut the heads off of children and teenagers at their own discretion, that he knows their names and of some specific cases, never reported it, and she has to leave them alone and not I interfere with it.

Do you think the Murphy of those days could have stood to do it, or to accept that there really are people and individuals whom she has to treat as above the law?  Or would she have done what she considered her duty (in the eyes of the law, it would[/] be her duty) and arrest Harry and try to go after the Wardens and expose/stop them?

If the later, stop and think what probably happens to her, to Harry, to the Murphy family, to others.  The least bad outcome would be Murphy goes to prison on some framed up charge, and gets to be a cop behind bars.  It could be far worse.

Even as late as Grave Peril, she freaks out when Harry tells her he was present for the beheading of a warlock in Chicago, part of her wanted to go after them, and by then she had learned from hard experience that the supernatural was bigger than the law.

Likewise Susan.  Harry held very little back from her, and what he told her led her to seek out more, and ended up destroying her.  Susan would have been far better off if she'd never learned of the supernatural at all.

When to inform people, and when to keep them in the dark, is a hard choice and doesn't have easy answers.
Very true, though Harry's stance these day (by WOJ) is more and more that, regardless of what he thinks the outcome might be (good or bad), he has decided to stop making those Choices FOR other people.  That's not to say he wont keep a Secret when necessary.  But nowadys he's more likely to simply tell then he has a secret (or at least not hide it) and ask them to Trust him.  Or he will tell them enough for them to make an Informed Choice.  Or, as he did with Molly and Vadderung that time, he'll tell them when it's something they need to figure out on their own.

It's the treatment he's begun to Demand from the most powerful entities in the Universe (Mothers, Archangels, etc), and he's at least self-aware enough these days to realize he needs to do the same for those around him.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:56:25 AM »
Very true, though Harry's stance these day (by WOJ) is more and more that, regardless of what he thinks the outcome might be (good or bad), he has decided to stop making those Choices FOR other people.  That's not to say he wont keep a Secret when necessary.  But nowadys he's more likely to simply tell then he has a secret (or at least not hide it) and ask them to Trust him.  Or he will tell them enough for them to make an Informed Choice.  Or, as he did with Molly and Vadderung that time, he'll tell them when it's something they need to figure out on their own.

It's the treatment he's begun to Demand from the most powerful entities in the Universe (Mothers, Archangels, etc), and he's at least self-aware enough these days to realize he needs to do the same for those around him.

But that doesn't mean situations won't arise where he has to make a choice to keep someone in the dark, too.  Harry's getting better at arranging matters so he can avoid the nastiest choices, but there's no guarantee he can keep it up.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
Sometimes a secret needs to be kept. I don't recall Harry telling Murphy that he spoke with her father.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
Agree with free will and respect for wardens role, although he still sees the flaws in wardens. 

I would argue that he is much less likely to accept the surface explanation for why people/beings do what they do.  He understands that people hide their true motivations, that there are levels of plots, and that great powers influence the actions of individuals without their knowledge. 

He also recognizes that the consequences of his actions are also far more than the obvious.   Does not mean he will avoid doing something right, but he thinks carefully now how to minimize unintended consequences. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
I'm going to apply Amber to this thread. 

Amber is a family group of royals that do not trust each other and are loathe to share their secrets with each other even when they need to. They often have plots to one-up the other. When they do share information with each other, it is often done only on a trading basis. You give me one piece of information, I'll give you this other.  So, I see a strong semblance of "keep secrets," "don't trust" in play with Harry at first.  And like many of you, he has outgrown those things to the better with experience.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html