Author Topic: Making things on DR  (Read 15410 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Making things on DR
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
looking at his new staff on Case Files he has a spot very good for that, ask Gandalf ;)
Indeed.  I just checked it out, and it does look like it could have a crystal fitted atop it.  Considering that McGrath updated Harry's staff to have the correct type of runes, it makes me wonder if the new look was based on input from JB. 

If so, it makes it *less* likely to have a spearhead atop it.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 12:14:06 AM »
Indeed.  I just checked it out, and it does look like it could have a crystal fitted atop it.  Considering that McGrath updated Harry's staff to have the correct type of runes, it makes me wonder if the new look was based on input from JB. 

If so, it makes it *less* likely to have a spearhead atop it.
... Shxls!
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
I'd sooner believe that Harry will NOT be the one to carry the Spear into battle.  I'd bet he'd let Vadderung carry it, as he has a bit of experience with a spear already.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 09:44:46 PM »
I'd sooner believe that Harry will NOT be the one to carry the Spear into battle.  I'd bet he'd let Vadderung carry it, as he has a bit of experience with a spear already.

I see Harry sticking with what he knows: magic and a trusty firearm. He will let the mythical beings carry the mythical weapons.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 02:50:05 AM »
Other than Vadderung at Chichen Itza, have we seen anyone else wield a spear?  Maybe He'll give it to Nick for the BAT?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 03:36:55 AM »
Bah, spears are easy, they require like, a week of training to use properly. It's one of the reasons that they were so popular a weapon.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 06:30:14 AM »
Bah, spears are easy, they require like, a week of training to use properly. It's one of the reasons that they were so popular a weapon.

so is a sword, or knife, or a gun...  Anyone can use them after a week of training but it takes much longer to be an actual expert....  Many different cultures, and martial arts styles use them, and there is a massive difference between a week of training an an actual expert.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:36:44 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
Nope, that was a specific part of the whole scene.  It was a pre-built Ward, but it was Lily that turned it on while Maeve distracted Alfred
Quantus, I read that same quote and I came away with that the ward came up in response to what Lily was doing, not that she called it up.  It was the part where Fix said "But"...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
Quantus, I read that same quote and I came away with that the ward came up in response to what Lily was doing, not that she called it up.  It was the part where Fix said "But"...
Hmm.  I guess I can see how you could read it that way, but it makes less sense that way to me, if the goal was to try to trick/convince Alfred to activate something they'd have both gone straight to doing that.  The fact that they instead had Maeve try to Distract Alfred while lily went and did something else implies that they were specifically trying to do something without his notice, rather than the opposite tactic you describe.

Also, as more general support of the stance, Alfred has made repeated references to how it is the Warden's job to make those choices and activate those sorts of defenses, not "Here's"
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
Hmm.  I guess I can see how you could read it that way, but it makes less sense that way to me, if the goal was to try to trick/convince Alfred to activate something they'd have both gone straight to doing that.  The fact that they instead had Maeve try to Distract Alfred while lily went and did something else implies that they were specifically trying to do something without his notice, rather than the opposite tactic you describe.

Also, as more general support of the stance, Alfred has made repeated references to how it is the Warden's job to make those choices and activate those sorts of defenses, not "Here's"
I can see your point of view, and after the time that Harry's spent there since that event, I'd agree with Alfred, (by this time, Harry might even be able to have the circle up and still "know" what was happening inside).  But I still go with that it was a pre-set response, the Lady's wanted a circle, but I'm sticking with that this circle was a function of the Island, not Lily.  I think that Lily was creating a circle, but she hadn't necessarily planned on that circle being the response.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »
I'd like to see it, but creating a "walkie-talkie" to DR I could see having serious trouble.  DR being surrounded by water being one of them. It's being set up to hold things in, and hold things out being another. 

Well the pair of stones he used as a communicator with Ebenzar didn't seem bothered by having the Atlantic Ocean in between them. And the spirit didn't seem bothered by projecting a message to Harry in GS despite him being off the island, so communication is probably feasible within the limits of what Demonreach considers it important to communicate to the Warden.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
I can see your point of view, and after the time that Harry's spent there since that event, I'd agree with Alfred, (by this time, Harry might even be able to have the circle up and still "know" what was happening inside).  But I still go with that it was a pre-set response, the Lady's wanted a circle, but I'm sticking with that this circle was a function of the Island, not Lily.  I think that Lily was creating a circle, but she hadn't necessarily planned on that circle being the response.
I agree with that entirely.  Im just trying to say there is a big difference between Lily activating a pre-existing element of the Island and Alfred exercising initiative with those structures.  It's the same division of Power vs Authority that stopped him from Imprisoning Shagnasty even though he actively hated him, and the same reason Im sure that Alfred could free the inmates (because he literally is the walls and doors and locks) but he never Would without an outside agent (ideally the Warden) making the Choice and initiating the process. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
I agree with that entirely.  Im just trying to say there is a big difference between Lily activating a pre-existing element of the Island and Alfred exercising initiative with those structures.  It's the same division of Power vs Authority that stopped him from Imprisoning Shagnasty even though he actively hated him, and the same reason Im sure that Alfred could free the inmates (because he literally is the walls and doors and locks) but he never Would without an outside agent (ideally the Warden) making the Choice and initiating the process.
It's kinda a psychology/construct thing in my mind, She activated preconstructed wards designed to be used by Merlin to entrap a being while Alfred snatches them up. His main learned goal of the experience is to ensnare that which is summoned by the Warden, Harry summoned Mab but that was not his intention. I think she intentionally manifested in the sky to create a separation from DR even if she was still contained in it's sphere of influence. Notice she sets down only after talking to DR? It was like a dog overthinking what was a trained response(Harry's influence?)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
It's kinda a psychology/construct thing in my mind, She activated preconstructed wards designed to be used by Merlin to entrap a being while Alfred snatches them up. His main learned goal of the experience is to ensnare that which is summoned by the Warden, Harry summoned Mab but that was not his intention. I think she intentionally manifested in the sky to create a separation from DR even if she was still contained in it's sphere of influence. Notice she sets down only after talking to DR? It was like a dog overthinking what was a trained response(Harry's influence?)
This will sound like a nitpick but I think it hits the crux of my Point:  She touched down only /After/ she received permission from The Warden.  Then she touched down and only then did she address Alfred directly. This is key, because it shows how it's The Warden who has to make teh actual decisions, not Alfred. 

Or in this case, a duped Lady who was hacking the Island systems. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »
This will sound like a nitpick but I think it hits the crux of my Point:  She touched down only /After/ she received permission from The Warden.  Then she touched down and only then did she address Alfred directly. This is key, because it shows how it's The Warden who has to make teh actual decisions, not Alfred. 

Or in this case, a duped Lady who was hacking the Island systems.
My point is he only hesitated because he could tell that was not his intention. He had other choices that could have been made without the Wardens express permission. It's in his 'programing'.