Author Topic: Making things on DR  (Read 15415 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Making things on DR
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:57 AM »
So was watching a vid from salt lake comic con and someone asks about what would happen if Harry rebuilt LC on DR. His reply stated things built on DR tend to have a horrible energy attached to them... and I thought, did not Harry make his new supplies living ON DemonReach? Bad juju trapped in his working enchantments or just over thinking it?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Making things on DR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:13:54 AM »
His Staff, and now Bonny's skull I think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:16 AM »
Do you think Butcher was foreshadowing something?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
Possibly. I think that with Little Chicago the problem is that there would be a thaumaturgical link to Chicago being constantly bombarded with all the bad juju that Demonreach is constantly producing.

Worst case scenario the entire city could wind up like the Islands would-be settlers.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
His Staff, and now Bonny's skull I think?
:o
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Would either of these two items allow Harry to remotely access DR?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
Would either of these two items allow Harry to remotely access DR?

I think it's more like it has access to him
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
I would bet that anything Harry builds are removes from the island won't necessarily have a "taint" because he's protected.  But if he builds a structure or something that stays there, it would.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
I would bet that anything Harry builds are removes from the island won't necessarily have a "taint" because he's protected.  But if he builds a structure or something that stays there, it would.
that

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »
Along those lines I wonder if given Harry's shared intellectus with DR he could conceivably build something along the lines of LC that would allow him to communicate with Alfred and/or activate defenses from afar.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
Along those lines I wonder if given Harry's shared intellectus with DR he could conceivably build something along the lines of LC that would allow him to communicate with Alfred and/or activate defenses from afar.

Since Harry only has the Intellectus when he is in contact with the island, I'm not sure how that would be possible.  I'd like to see it, but creating a "walkie-talkie" to DR I could see having serious trouble.  DR being surrounded by water being one of them. It's being set up to hold things in, and hold things out being another. 

Harry may be able to find a back-door to all of that, but he'd need some serious time and a need to even know he needs to do something like that.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:45:33 PM »
I'm more curious if he can't find a quicker Way to get to DR... with his Mom's stone and Alfred's help, I'd think it would be possible.  The Gatekeeper knows a Way, so did Peabody and his possibly even originated in Chicago.  Best would be a permanent portal from his new digs to the island, but I don't know if he'd have the juice to pull that off yet.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:09 AM »
Yeah, a couple of hours by boat and downtown traffic does not make for a speedy arrival.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
Fwiw, once upon a time a fan asked him if the Eternal Silence statue was letting Alfred communicate because it's materials were originally sourced on Demonreach (the questioner mistakenly thought the statue was stone rather than bronze).  Jim said something to the effect that would have been a really cool idea, but by that point it was already written into the books that Mab had been facilitating that communication.  So while there's nothing cannon in that, it gave me the impression that he views it as a reasonable mechanic, and Id say it's entirely consistent with what we know of Thaumaturgy in general.  It likely wouldnt let him tap the Ley Line or expand his Intellectus past the island or anything, but communication shouldnt be a problem.  Worst case you build a radio-style paired receiver system; if one side is on the island it is within Alfred's sphere of knowledge, and now that he'd getting more skilled at Languages he should be able to use such a device (might still need a SoI translator, be we know of some)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Since Harry only has the Intellectus when he is in contact with the island, I'm not sure how that would be possible.  I'd like to see it, but creating a "walkie-talkie" to DR I could see having serious trouble.  DR being surrounded by water being one of them. It's being set up to hold things in, and hold things out being another. 

Harry may be able to find a back-door to all of that, but he'd need some serious time and a need to even know he needs to do something like that.

I apologize, I was imprecise in my thought. I meant that given Harrys shared Intellectus with DR he could build something while still on the island that would work to connect him to Alfred off the island and/or activate defenses on the island. I did not mean to imply that he would utilize the intellectus off the island. I would think that finding a way to activate defenses on DR would be a priority given the events of Cold Days.