Author Topic: Feeding Dependency revamped  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Feeding Dependency revamped
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »
This has been talked about quite a bit but..

You know, It would have been a better power if they had a straight difficulty instead of defending against the amount of powers you use.   Like, the difficulty is attached to the amount of powers you attach to it and as soon as you use ANY of the powers in the list, you have to make a save.

Like: 
attach 2-4 refresh to Feeding dependency and be forced to make defend against a Good +3 attack at the end of the scene
5-8 refresh, defend against superb (+5) attack
9-12  defend vs Epic (+7)
13-16 defend vs Legendary(+8) Weapon 2
17-20 vs Legendary; Weapon 4

Or something like that....just kind of winging the difficulties.

Thoughts?  do you like the premise?  If so, what should the difficulties be?  Should there be weapon values?  Maybe an 'upgraded' version that makes it more dangerous?

Edit:  I just looked up on the custom power list to see how it was re-written.  That one gives you a bigger rebate depending on how much refresh you take but it doesn't deal with the actual defending roll - which is the actual problem with the power.  This takes care of that issue.  The rebate is always +1 but maybe each level can give you a bigger rebate...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:17:20 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding Dependency revamped
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:08 AM »
I dunno, I never felt like that was the main issue with the Power. I wouldn't want to use it even with flat difficulties.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
the main issue was that you could choose to use 1 single power so you could auto-succeed your hunger roll and then clear your stress.

With a straight DC, you can't do that.

What issues did you have with it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:44:40 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:11:58 AM »
I mean, that is certainly a problem. But it's just the start.

Really, being able to clear your track at all without feeding seems wrong to me. I think not taking any stress is reward enough for beating the difficulty.

It also has the standard scaling issue that all rebate powers have, except more so. Feeding Dependency on 2 Refresh of Powers is a free point of Refresh; Feeding Dependency on 10 Refresh of Powers is absolutely brutal.

Plus there's the awkward wording, which makes it unclear whether you lose powers to avoid being taken out, consequence-style, or just lose powers whenever you take stress.

And I think opting out of scenes as a recovery method is just a fundamentally bad idea.