Author Topic: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread  (Read 15941 times)

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
Are you guys this into other authors? There are some people here who seem to spend a huge amount of time thinking about this series. I think there are even people who write fan fiction for the series? And, one person who writes stories with this series as a template?

Is it just Butcher that you’re so into, or are there other authors on whose works you spend a lot of time?

What’s the appeal of this series that induces the deep interest?

I came to the site to check when the next book was going to be released, saw there was an official forum, and discovered it is fun to theorize with others. I haven't found official forums for other authors I've read that are mid-series. Otherwise, there might be a few sites I post on.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Is it just Butcher that you’re so into, or are there other authors on whose works you spend a lot of time?

Back in the 90s when the bits of Usenet that discussed written SF were still viable, I spent this scale of time and energy on lots of my favourite authors.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
The only film I ever saw that was better than the book was Lord of the Flies from the 1950s (I think there was a poorly done more recent version, too).

There are a fair few films of books that manage to be better than the books because the films are quite good and the books were terrible; Angel Heart and The Hunger spring to mind.

And there are unique examples like The Princess Bride and 2001 where through various combinations of genius in both media the books and films are both brilliant and different in ways that make it kind of impossible to judge.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
I would love to see Harry on the big screen, but I do not think it would be to the book standard. A lot of people point to the Harry Potter series as an example of a book to movie adaptation that was done well (for the most part). However, that was a unique example as the main actors were able to age with the movies. A direct book to screen adaptation would be hard due to the large number of books. More likely than not, if they wanted to adapt the current storyline, they would cut books out entirely or combine books together in one film. Alternatively, they could create brand new stories for Dresden and set it in an "alternate universe" to the main stories (my preferred method). I would also love to see an animated Dresden ala The Last Airbender.

I like the way they're adapting the Series of Unfortunate Events books on Netflix. Two episodes per book, eight episodes per season. It could be done similarly with Dresden. Maybe two episodes per book, with three episodes as a finale per season; Summer Knight deserves three episodes, for instance. So would Proven Guilty.

However, I'd like them to wait for Jim to get back to a more regular publishing schedule first, because I'd prefer that the books finish before the series outpaces it. I don't want another Game of Thrones.

There are a fair few films of books that manage to be better than the books because the films are quite good and the books were terrible; Angel Heart and The Hunger spring to mind.

And there are unique examples like The Princess Bride and 2001 where through various combinations of genius in both media the books and films are both brilliant and different in ways that make it kind of impossible to judge.

Yeah. I liked a very few movies better than the books: I Am Number Four, Secret Window, Stand By Me (mostly), Psycho, the Godfather, Jaws, Fight Club (which I found tedious to read), and No Country for Old Men (because punctuation matters, damn it, no matter what they say about style). I hate what they did to Harry Potter after the third movie, and I usually walk out of the theater pissed that they messed with a perfectly good story.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
I would love to see Harry on the big screen, but I do not think it would be to the book standard. A lot of people point to the Harry Potter series as an example of a book to movie adaptation that was done well (for the most part). However, that was a unique example as the main actors were able to age with the movies. A direct book to screen adaptation would be hard due to the large number of books. More likely than not, if they wanted to adapt the current storyline, they would cut books out entirely or combine books together in one film. Alternatively, they could create brand new stories for Dresden and set it in an "alternate universe" to the main stories (my preferred method). I would also love to see an animated Dresden ala The Last Airbender.
Are you hinting at the fifth movie? Then, I agree.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
Are you hinting at the fifth movie? Then, I agree.
I try to be careful and avoid jumping down the rabbit hole, but IMO the flaws start to build as the movie series progress.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Yeah, Angry Dumbledore didn't appeal to me either.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
Yeah, Angry Dumbledore didn't appeal to me either.

Specifically, Dumbledore angry at Harry, of all people.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Specifically, Dumbledore angry at Harry, of all people.
Dumbledore character changes were an issue as well as Ginny's character (or lack thereof) in the movies.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
Yeah, movie Ginny was very subdued compared to book Ginny.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »
Dumbledore character changes were an issue as well as Ginny's character (or lack thereof) in the movies.

There were... a lot of problems, those among them. The changes and cuts to the existing plot were inexpertly done on a volume-by-volume basis, rather than for the film series as a whole, which created a whole lot of problems for those who just wanted to watch the movies. The plot does not make much sense if you haven't read the books because so many things were left out; I got the sense that each entry was written and shot based on adapting that specific entry without considering the larger context, for the most part. Some of the problems that created were attributable to working on a series as the books were being written, but some of them were pretty blatant. My sister watched the series over a weekend when she was sick, and hadn't read the books. After watching it twice to make sure she wasn't just missing stuff, she started asking me questions, like "Who the hell is Padfoot? Where did Dumbledore get those Horcruxes? I guess Harry can just Sense Horcruxes, but how does he know what some of them look like?" and so on. She thought it was all badly written, and I found myself referring to the books because the expository scenes simply weren't in the movies.

That doesn't even touch the problems with the books, but that's a different ball of wax.

I just hope that the Dresden Files is eventually adapted into some kind of live action format, faithfully, with a fanboy director who won't want to mess with the story (and honestly, the books are short enough that there's really no reason or excuse to leave stuff out or change much).

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
What about a Sherlock (BBC) style series with 3 to 4 90 minute episodes a season. Each season equates to one book.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
Ananda,

I'm here for the people.  This is a GREAT group of fans.

I stay for the theories and the fun banter.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »
What about a Sherlock (BBC) style series with 3 to 4 90 minute episodes a season. Each season equates to one book.

I'd want a bit more, like they're doing with A Series of Unfortunate Events. The Sherlock season structure gives them a lot of trouble during production (or at least a lot of excuses to avoid doing one season per year), and I'd prefer it if they would release stuff annually.

Plus, to be honest, 270-360 minutes is way too long for, say, Fool Moon. There's a lot to be said for taking the time to do things right, but that's 1.5 minutes/page for the first few books. Not quite as egregious as The Hobbit becoming a trilogy, but close.

ASOUE does four books per season, two hour-long episodes per book. I'd like the same format for Dresden. They could do a ten-episode season and do a kind of clip show featuring the short stories that featured during that block of books, too.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
I see your point about stretching the early books too far. Definitely do not want to end up with a hobbit situation.