Author Topic: Unsolved Mystery Book4 Why now, Elaine?  (Read 8132 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Unsolved Mystery Book4 Why now, Elaine?
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:25:50 PM »
Why did Elaine chose this moment to reveal herself?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:54:01 PM by wardenferry419 »
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mystery Book4 Why now, Elaine?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:40:56 AM »
she had no choice, nem-fected Aurora chose her as emissary, otherwise she could still be hiding for all we know...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
At the beginning, Elaine tells Harry that her debt is with Titania. Her goal as emissary is to find the killer and prove that Winter did it. Later, she says her debt ended with Aurora. Can we really believe Elaine and what she says?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
At the beginning, Elaine tells Harry that her debt is with Titania. Her goal as emissary is to find the killer and prove that Winter did it. Later, she says her debt ended with Aurora. Can we really believe Elaine and what she says?
Well after that her task as emissary was over. She might think that that closed the deals but I am not that optimistic.

She probably does not know herself exactly. That is the problem with dealing with the Sidhe, they know exactly who owes what to who.

It is probably Sarissa who holds the remainer of that debt now and she will act on it exactly when it inconveniences both Harry and Elaine most.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Do Aurora's main retainers bear any remaining ill will towards Harry for the death of Aurora? Not likely after all this time, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Do Aurora's main retainers bear any remaining ill will towards Harry for the death of Aurora? Not likely after all this time, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Not likely and all Titania's anger seemed to be directed at Harry.

The main question is what the remaining debt is if any and who has it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
I'd bet that her debt, if there really was any, has been paid off.  The Summer Lady is the one who determines it. 

Now, it's possible that Elaine is wrong about the debt being paid in full, but it would seem to be a sort of balance if she still owes, the same way Harry still owes.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:34:41 AM »
I really think that Titania is holding that debt back for a time that she can hurt Harry with it.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:40 AM »
Well after that her task as emissary was over. She might think that that closed the deals but I am not that optimistic.
She probably does not know herself exactly. That is the problem with dealing with the Sidhe, they know exactly who owes what to who.

I am sure she knows exactly what she is doing there, and is spinning it in whatever makes Harry most usefully trust her.  Last we saw of her, she is nicely hooked up with the Paranet if she needs a power base.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
She does seem to be piggy-back off Harry's resources.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
I am sure she knows exactly what she is doing there, and is spinning it in whatever makes Harry most usefully trust her.  Last we saw of her, she is nicely hooked up with the Paranet if she needs a power base.
Assuming people know what they are doing is usually wrong and leads to implausible conspiracy theories. Assuming they are blundering idiots usually explains reality far better.  ;D
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
In the real world, yes that is true. But, the fictional is more fun than that.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »
In the real world, yes that is true. But, the fictional is more fun than that.
You need to bring some reality in the fantasy world to improve the real feeling of the world otherwise the suspension of disbelieve becomes too hard.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 02:53:34 AM »
Assuming people know what they are doing is usually wrong and leads to implausible conspiracy theories. Assuming they are blundering idiots usually explains reality far better.  ;D

How smart do you reckon high-end wizards have to be, then ?

I tend to go by rule of thumb comparing the amount of time comparing wizards' experience with magic with the sort of investment of smarts it takes to get to a similar position working in science, that being the field I know well, and Thomas does compare Harry's skill level in "Backup" to someone with multiple PhDs iirc.  And that's before you consider adding in literal centuries of experience, or entities that are described as, and depicted consistently with, superhuman in some extents.

(Besides, everyone knows wizards rely on INT as their primary ability score.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 06:36:17 AM »
How smart do you reckon high-end wizards have to be, then ?

I tend to go by rule of thumb comparing the amount of time comparing wizards' experience with magic with the sort of investment of smarts it takes to get to a similar position working in science, that being the field I know well, and Thomas does compare Harry's skill level in "Backup" to someone with multiple PhDs iirc.  And that's before you consider adding in literal centuries of experience,
Experience means learning from your mistakes, sometimes your own stupidity. We are watcheng Harry and Elaine doing exactly that. In matters outside wizardry Karen as a vanilla mortal is more experienced than Harry. And not less intelligent.
or entities that are described as, and depicted consistently with, superhuman in some extents.

(Besides, everyone knows wizards rely on INT as their primary ability score.)
How stupid can Harry be? Admittedly Elaine is more intelligent than Harry but her experience with the real world is in Summer Knight probably rather limitted and what she knows was for a large part controlled by Justin and a bunch of Sidhe. Ignorance is not the same as stupidity but it can look quite similar sometimes.

Harry and Elaine were not that old at Summer Knight so extra wizard experience is not a factor, we can assume normal human behaviour so what causes stupid behaviour in intelligent people?

Overspecialization can be a factor. People are not always that smart outside their field because it takes most of their brainpower to be sometimes extremely good in what they do.

Wishfull thinking is another one. Sometimes information is so unwelcome that you ignore it or go for the most convenient option for yourself on the short term. It is related to short term self interest which can lead to stupid rationalizations that are really believed by even intelligent people. I think Elaine fell victim for that one. Easily if Aurora was her main source of information.

Addiction can lead to stupid decisions and intelligent people can rationalize them, those rationalizations sound stupid to not addicted people.

Youthfull indoctrination can lead to stupidly holding irrational beliefs at a later age which can influence everything.

Extreme success can lead to overconfidence especially if you have power because nobody wants to disagree with you.

All above factors and more can make even intelligent people slip into intellecual laziness sometimes especially if they get older.

If they get older they rely more on experience and less on thinking things over as well which works quite well most of the time but can lead to stupidity if circumstances change.

And sometimes you are just tired, emotionally exited or overstressed. Everyone can make a stupid decision sometimes especially under pressure. Stupid people make them all the time.

Intelligence is often a protection against stupid or seemingly stupid decisions but not always.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

We were studying chemistry at Leiden University at the time and it seemed wishful thinking to us but it went on for a long time even when it was utterly discredited in the rest of the scientific world. All people involved were intelligent people, most of the time. I was fascinated by it not as science but because how it could go on for such a long time publication after publication. Even a PhD is not always a protection against stupidity.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:22:44 AM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]