Author Topic: A pattern in last 4 books  (Read 12681 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A pattern in last 4 books
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »
Nicodemus was blinded by Anduriel. Nobody needed to die for that gate or at least somebody would have a chance. A necromancer or someone with a near dead experience could temporary get out of the body and return but Nicodemus did not even try.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
Well, Nico is one to go for dramatic effect.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Nicodemus was blinded by Anduriel. Nobody needed to die for that gate or at least somebody would have a chance. A necromancer or someone with a near dead experience could temporary get out of the body and return but Nicodemus did not even try.

Yeah. A portable defibrillator and temporarily stopping her heart (which I'm positive her Fallen could've accomplished, considering Lash taught Harry to collapse the freaking bones in his hand) would've been a better idea.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
Yeah. A portable defibrillator and temporarily stopping her heart (which I'm positive her Fallen could've accomplished, considering Lash taught Harry to collapse the freaking bones in his hand) would've been a better idea.

Considering how Harry created a ghost in Grave Peril, and was revived, you are absolutely correct.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 05:17:27 PM »

Definitely could have worked, but I would not be surprised if Hades has built it so that the shade/ghost/spirit is immediately sucked away for judgement which would prevent its return to the body.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
Definitely could have worked, but I would not be surprised if Hades has built it so that the shade/ghost/spirit is immediately sucked away for judgement which would prevent its return to the body.
I do not think so. The gates were not designed to kill everyone but to weed out those not powerful and versatile enough to wield the weapons they guarded. They were tests. There might have been something but it would not have been impossible.

A fire mage for fire, a winter knight for ice and a necromancer for dead, it would have been fitting.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
I do not think so. The gates were not designed to kill everyone but to weed out those not powerful and versatile enough to wield the weapons they guarded. They were tests. There might have been something but it would not have been impossible.

A fire mage for fire, a winter knight for ice and a necromancer for dead, it would have been fitting.

Except those magics aren't exactly created equal.

On the other hand, we have an example of an ectomance binding a soul back into its body, so maybe there's a more benign way than necromancy.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
Except those magics aren't exactly created equal.

On the other hand, we have an example of an ectomance binding a soul back into its body, so maybe there's a more benign way than necromancy.
Oh maybe morty could have done something just imagine the scene Nicodemus trying to recruit him.

And harry is a necromancer as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:45:49 PM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »

I don't think we can judge Harry or any parent saying that he or she would be willing to let the world burn to save his or her child.  That isn't selfish, it is called being a parent...  It was said at the height of frustration and emotion, only in Harry's case he possibly had the power to do it... The important thing is, he didn't do it and he found another way to save his child.
I said that his attitude was not one that should be held up as the ideal for a society. Also, yes, letting the “world burn” for your child is the epitome of selfishness. As I said, though, I’d save my child first if I had to choose between him and a random child. But, who wouldn’t? Would I let the “world burn” for him, though? I hope not and, if I tried to, I’d hope someone would stop me. And, in my opinion, the important thing isn’t that Dresden didn’t do it (after the fact), but that he was willing to do it. That’s dark. The White Council might be right about Dresden.

An interesting tangent to this is how AI will choose the lesser bad in things like AI driven vehicles in accident scenarios; go straight and kill a child, a dog and a woman, swerve and kill three men and a woman. Does it just do maths? And, what about general or super AI? What types or moral dilemmas will it face?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »
Ah trolley problems. On one track are the millions of people I don’t know and on the other track there is someone I like......
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »
I, Robot, the Will Smith movie, addressed this idea of AI and moral problems.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
Oh maybe morty could have done something just imagine the scene Nicodemus trying to recruit him.

And harry is a necromancer as well.
Yes, but Harry isn't good. He's the best we got, but he gets into pretty dark situations. He eventually ends up choosing the less-evil and eventually works back to good, but there's the dark phase too.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
Yeah, I would love to have seen Nick recruiting Morty.  And Harry's proactive nature kicking in.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
We know shades can "attach" themselves to someone or something (Sir Stuart). I wonder how many shades Nic has collected over the millennia. Morty may go into ectomancer overload if he was in the vicinity of Nic.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
Oe give Morty a nice, large army that is not too fond of Nico.
Make Mine Butcher!