Author Topic: Proven Guilty - some minor unanswered questions  (Read 13011 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Proven Guilty - some minor unanswered questions
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
don't forget Anna Valmont, Binder, both have had their 2nd book now.
I hope we'll see more of Goodman Grey also.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
I hope so. She is ditzy in a funny way.

Last mention of her is Ghost Story, when Murphy tells Harry she was shot during Fitz's drive by, and they weren't sure if she was going to make it.

It's actually kind of odd that Harry doesn't ask about her at all for the rest of the book, considering that's in the opening hundred pages. Nobody brings her up in Cold Days (which include extensive references to the Paranet) or Skin Game (which doesn't really mention it at all), either. She's a major-ish player now, so it's a bit out of place that we never got an update on her condition, especially since it was off-screen to begin with.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:01 AM »
If there was no mention; then, maybe, she didn't die.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
Well, then again, there was no mention of Toto either. 

I think she made it.  Hope so anyway.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
one of those "no news is good news"?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 09:10:29 PM »
I assume she's still alive, yes. It just seems like an oversight; her getting shot is basically a throwaway line by Murphy that isn't brought up again. I know Dresden's priorities are different in the last three books, but it feels out of place for it to be totally unacknowledged.

I mean, in Turn Coat, Will and Georgia are with Andi the whole time they're off-page, and this was after Kirby was killed; sure, they're a pack, but I'd expect someone to be with Abby, you know? Especially because Toto loves Will. But everyone we see at the Chicago Justice League Meeting at Murphy's house is running around with Dresden. Heck, Murphy's hanging out at the BFS when we see her next. Especially odd given the attacks that were going on throughout Chicago at the time; she's in a hospital, and vulnerable.

Am I reading too much into it? Yes. I am. I'm nitpicking. I plead guilty.

But damn it, I love dogs and dog owners. I want to know that Abby and Toto are okay, because I'm emotionally invested in their codependent relationship.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
I assume she's still alive, yes. It just seems like an oversight; her getting shot is basically a throwaway line by Murphy that isn't brought up again. I know Dresden's priorities are different in the last three books, but it feels out of place for it to be totally unacknowledged.

I mean, in Turn Coat, Will and Georgia are with Andi the whole time they're off-page, and this was after Kirby was killed; sure, they're a pack, but I'd expect someone to be with Abby, you know? Especially because Toto loves Will. But everyone we see at the Chicago Justice League Meeting at Murphy's house is running around with Dresden. Heck, Murphy's hanging out at the BFS when we see her next. Especially odd given the attacks that were going on throughout Chicago at the time; she's in a hospital, and vulnerable.

Am I reading too much into it? Yes. I am. I'm nitpicking. I plead guilty.

But damn it, I love dogs and dog owners. I want to know that Abby and Toto are okay, because I'm emotionally invested in their codependent relationship.

Good points. She is essentially the Paranet liaison to the Chicago Justice League. A part of the inner circle. It would be strange for their to be no one with her given that she is likely in increased danger due to her role. Probably just an oversight and will be resolved in later books. Maybe in PT the Paranet will be utilized in some way and we will find out for sure what happens to her.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
Here is something else I found interesting near the end of the book when Eb and Harry are going over the case.
I grunted. "The traitor to the Council. Someone had to tell the Reds where Luccio's boot camp was hidden."

"Yes," he said, and leaned forward. "And outside of Luccio only four people knew."

I arched my brows at him. "Morgan?"

"That's one," he agreed. "Injun Joe, the Merlin, and Ancient Mai were the only others."

I whistled slowly. "Heavy hitters. But knock Morgan off your list. He didn't do it."

Ebenezar arched his brows. "No?"

I shook my head. "Guy is a dick," I said, "but he's on the level. We shouldn't tell him, but he's no traitor."

Ebenezar frowned for a moment and then nodded slowly. "Very well, then. I'll vouch for Injun Joe."
Are we assuming that Peabody also knew as a result of his duties and Eb didn't know or think to mention him? Did Peabody find out as a result of his mind bending? Or did Peabody not know and one of the four mentioned is another traitor?

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
  The assessment is that Peabody would have known about Luccio's boot camp, but nobody thought to include him in the list of possible traitors.
  As secretary, he would have known almost everything the Senior Council  knows.  The locations of safe houses and camps would have been in the orders and other forms he would have had the Senior Council sign.
  In addition, renting or purchasing the land for the camps, and the order to deliver supplies and equipment would have gone through him.

APG

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »
  The assessment is that Peabody would have known about Luccio's boot camp, but nobody thought to include him in the list of possible traitors.
  As secretary, he would have known almost everything the Senior Council  knows.  The locations of safe houses and camps would have been in the orders and other forms he would have had the Senior Council sign.
  In addition, renting or purchasing the land for the camps, and the order to deliver supplies and equipment would have gone through him.

APG

Aside from that, he could have directly influenced the selection of that particular location through his mental hold on the Senior Council and Luccio. Really, it's impossible to say how many decisions by the Senior Council were actually their decisions from the start of the series.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Aside from that, he could have directly influenced the selection of that particular location through his mental hold on the Senior Council and Luccio. Really, it's impossible to say how many decisions by the Senior Council were actually their decisions from the start of the series.

Makes you wonder if some of the anger/malice directed at Harry since his trial was actually influenced by Peabody in an effort to get rid of a starborn.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
The negativity felt towards Harry existed already at most Peabody heightened it. And, yes, people often forget the paper-pushers that organize the activities.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
Do you think Peabody was the "head secretary" back when Harry was on trial?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
Do you think Peabody was the "head secretary" back when Harry was on trial?
I think it is likely. Wizards have a long lifespan and Merlin probably does not have a high staff turnover.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
I think it is likely. Wizards have a long lifespan and Merlin probably does not have a high staff turnover.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Still I kind of wish he'd been a more recent addition to the Adminomancy staff.