Author Topic: Psychology, Pietrovich and DuMorne  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Psychology, Pietrovich and DuMorne
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:12:44 AM »
I was just wondering given that Psychology was just being invented by Carl Jung and SIgmund Freud at the time that DuMorne was an apprentice to Simon Pietrovich and in particular Psychology's effect on pre, during and post World War 1/ Russian Revolution. Several of Jung's notable theories took particular hold in Russia. Arguably the Soviet Union had more success with psychological experiments then the CIA did.

All of this seems a hell of a coincedence given DuMornes proficiency with min magic and enthrallment. Combined with what we know of Pietrovich in Paranet Papers. Not too mention the popular theory that Cowl is Simon Pietrovich himself.

How much influence did early Psychology have on Pietrovich and his apprentices at Archangel during this time. And did it contribute to DuMornes Enthrallment of Elaine.

Certainly DuMorne shows great psychological insight in perfectly manipulating Harry and Elaine as first loves, and despite Harry's well justified complaints DuMorne did teach both to be quite remarkable Wizards equal to or better than most Wardens. We also do know from Ghost Story that he does have happy memories of DuMorne and loved him a great deal.

I imagine The White Council would have been nervous about this growing practice of mundane meddling into peoples minds, souls, hearts, consciousness, fears, desires, dreams and subconsciousness. We know from Paranet Papers Simon Pietrovich got increasingly involved in mundane affairs around this time, we also know that a certain apprentice mind thralled an assassination attempt on Rasputin (where incidentally he was made Winter Knight) they certainly were the White Councils source of information in Eastern Europe.

The Brute Squad of Archangels had it's beginning here in World War 1 and the Russian Revolution and were active up until Kemmlers final defeat, when Justin DuMorne picked up a spirit of intellect as an aide. So given how active they were during psychology's rise in the late 19th and early to mid 20th century. 

To what degree did SImon Pietrvich, Justin DuMorne and the Brute Squad of Archangel know of or Employ Psychology?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Psychology, Pietrovich and DuMorne
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
Messing with people's minds is something everybody does to some degree or another. And, people always want a new way to do it.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »
Jim has said that the Council indirectly supported a lot of the western intellectuals in an effort to shape society in the regions they had the most influence (presumably away from all the burning-at-the-stake stuff).

But I think anyone who was directly trying to learn to manipulate people from Freud's work would be sadly disappointed in its effectiveness, given how hindsight had mostly written him off as a crank.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »
If anybody was using psychological techniques it was Peabody.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?