Author Topic: What will Harry Learn  (Read 3451 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
What will Harry Learn
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
One of the patterns in the book is that Harry learns.   
*  When Harry got an apprentice, you started to see a clear impact in his spellcraft 2-3 books later.
*  When Harry got the winter knight gig, you started to see a clear impact in his spellcraft 3-4 books later (ghost story delayed things...)
*  Harry learned some things from the coin (shielding his mind for example, pain blocking)
*  Harry learned some from turn coat (mind fighting...)

But there are a couple of major events that have not really lead to any significant learning.   
*  Harry operated as a ghost for a while in ghost story
*  Harry bonded with Demonreach. 

Harry certainly learned how to operate Demonreach, but he has not applied anything he learned from Demonreach to his own personal magical or personal development.   Ditto with the time as a ghost.  No significant change in Harry's magic came from that experience - YET.

Some possibilities
1) Demonreach should have taught Harry a lot about crafting shields and wards -- or about the nature of immortal beings
2) Ghost Story should have taught Harry a lot about ghosts, spirits and how to work with the same.    He should also have more insight on possession --- and insight into the powers of illusion that he learned from Molly at this time.   

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What will Harry Learn
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »

Maybe because what happens in the way of learning etc stays on Demonreach?  However given the vision we saw in Cold Days I wouldn't be so quick to think that Harry hasn't gained knowledge which will help.. Also the significant lesson learned in Ghost Story is about having a soul... That knowledge helped him to break Mother Winter's bonds in Cold Days..

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »
Hopefully he'll get some shapeshifting experience in, he learned a bit offhand from being near Grey fyi, about the body mass thingy. though if Jim would kindly tickle one Fanatic's funny bone, He'll be inspired to
(click to show/hide)
You know why :)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
In regards to the Demonreach knowledge, I'm hoping he incorporates some of that into his new shield bracelet, which we may see in PT.

In regards to shapeshifting, he probably won't have time to sit with L2W until after PT, but maybe L2W will make another appearance at the talks and they'll make plans.

In regards to the WK mantle, I think he's still got more to explore.  I'm hoping we'll see him come to terms with it in PT so we can proceed further with his growth.

In regards to ghosts, I'm hoping that Fitz's ability to hear them is an aspect of Listening, something Harry can do.  He might have to learn a new way to do it, but then he can talk to Sir Stu and others, which would come in handy for spying and the like.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:13 AM »
Harry certainly learned how to operate Demonreach, but he has not applied anything he learned from Demonreach to his own personal magical or personal development.

I don't think the runes on the new staff he made from a branch on the island glow green instead of the previous red/orange as a mere coincidence.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:45 AM »
I don't think the runes on the new staff he made from a branch on the island glow green instead of the previous red/orange as a mere coincidence.

If memory serves one of the important things about a wizard making something is that they put a piece of themselves into it.  The runes glowing green may have more to do with the changes within Harry rather than anything intentional on his part.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
What is the odds that Harry picks up a ghost companion, if only for a single book.  I think Ghost Story established that ghosts are not the normal.  Most people "move on" when they die.  So I am not expecting a ghost of Susan or MacFin to be following Harry.    But occasionally ghosts do form.  I am expecting Harry to be "hired" by a ghost at some point :)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
What is the odds that Harry picks up a ghost companion, if only for a single book.  I think Ghost Story established that ghosts are not the normal.  Most people "move on" when they die.  So I am not expecting a ghost of Susan or MacFin to be following Harry.    But occasionally ghosts do form.  I am expecting Harry to be "hired" by a ghost at some point :)
Might be interesting if the reaper we saw pays him a visit. 

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:07:38 PM »
Might be interesting if the reaper we saw pays him a visit.

Why do I sense we would get Harry mismanaging a certain quote from The Seventh Seal...

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
Can gods have ghosts?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
Can gods have ghosts?
Of course. Think that's a bit of the problem. Undead 'spirits' trying to enforce their will on reality, trying to come back through/drop the veil.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »
I asked because what if the ghost of a murdered god wants Harry to solve his murder in "Fight Night" book about wrestling.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Froklsnt

• Participant
  • Mister, where I come from, there is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
I think there's another major one you missed. In Changes, learns a LOT more about the direct application of will, as opposed to using it to perform magic. And he starts applying that knowledge when he manifests a body at the end of GS, and again vs both Mother Winter and HWWBf (at Demonreach) in CD.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »
I think something else we haven't delved into was his getting all unhinged in GS to corporate a body.

That means he's far more unstable than we may think he actually is.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
He has been having one-on-one conversations with his subconscious. His train of normal thought has gone off the tracks and over the bridge.
Make Mine Butcher!