Author Topic: Was Ascher telling the truth?  (Read 25166 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ascher telling the truth?
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
It acts like a self fulfilling prophesy. If the wardens come for you you act like a cornered animal because you are. This pushes them further over the edge.

It is even worse. The widespread believe in how the laws and warlocks work combined with how the dresdenverse works has a power of its own. Those who are out are pushed further out.

It also deals with a problem that the Senior Council doesn't care to take the time/risk with for the disastrous results that come when they judge wrongly..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
   It also deals with a problem that the Senior Council doesn't care to take the time/risk with for the disastrous results that come when they judge wrongly..

From the Council's prospective, 10 wrongly executed people is probably better than one warlock being wrongly freed.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
From the Council's prospective, 10 wrongly executed people is probably better than one warlock being wrongly freed.
Those 10 can not prove anything anymore while the one that escapes and surfaces later has to be a really dangerous one and has a huge axe to grind. So he will strengthen the councils belief and next time it will be 15 to one. And they won't soulgaze every warlock either, there is a cost involved.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »
Sometimes you can only do what you can with what you got to work with. It is a big ole' world with a whole lotta people in it.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
Sometimes you can only do what you can with what you got to work with. It is a big ole' world with a whole lotta people in it.
if they cover the whole world. They pretend to but with only a few wardens in the US and probably less in Latin America there must be really big cities and big swats of territory with no warden precence at all.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:49 AM »
if they cover the whole world. They pretend to but with only a few wardens in the US and probably less in Latin America there must be really big cities and big swats of territory with no warden precence at all.

Before the war, IIRC there were about 200 Wardens.  Obviously trying to police the whole planet with 200 people is an impractical proposition.  The only thing they could do is wait for signs of trouble to show up, or try to suss out the warning signs of the worst stuff ahead of time.

For ex, Charity's group did get a Warden visitation, and a warning about the Laws of Magic, so something drew the Council's attention to Gregor.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »
That said they obviously did a really shitty job with Gregor, since it was their visit that convinced him to start ritualistically sacrificing his followers for power, but... points for trying I guess?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Sometimes pointing out that an A**hole is being an A**hole just encourages them to be a bigger A**hole. :)
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
Sometimes pointing out that an A**hole is being an A**hole just encourages them to be a bigger A**hole. :)
It is actually a very efficient method. When you don't know what to do you just scare them shitless.

You either don't hear from them anymore, problem solved, or they do something obviously wrong, you can just kill them => problem solved.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
Good point.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »
That said they obviously did a really shitty job with Gregor, since it was their visit that convinced him to start ritualistically sacrificing his followers for power, but... points for trying I guess?

Maybe, or maybe that was the plan all along and he moved up the time table when he realized the Council was suspicious of him.  No way to know, since we don't know exactly what Gregor intended.  (Though I wonder if it'll matter at some point down the road as we approach the BAT.)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
It's sort of like why they official rules for quiddich penalties are a secret.

Telling the players would just give them ideas.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »
It's sort of like why they official rules for quiddich penalties are a secret.

Telling the players would just give them ideas.

LOL. Well they would find ways to technically adhere to the rules, but violate them in spirit.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2018, 02:49:44 AM »
LOL. Well they would find ways to technically adhere to the rules, but violate them in spirit.

/Ulfgeir

In all seriousness, I suspect that something like that debate goes on among the Wardens and the Senior Council over time.  That is, is it better to explain to the masses what the danger of violating the Laws is, and risk giving people ideas, or to keep the possibilities quiet and only warn the people who are already in the know?

The problem is that both POVs are right.  If the Council is open, a lot of people will avoid violating the Laws and keep their heads who otherwise would not, but other people who never suspected you even could mess around with Time or that the Outer Gates even existed will now know it and start looking for ways to use it.

OTOH, keep it too quiet and people who would avoid trouble if they knew the danger will fall into the trap of breaking the Laws in innocence, or even with good intentions, and end up causing a lot of pain and suffering and damage before they lose their heads.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are ongoing arguments, year after year, on that subject within the Council.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
I guess not telling weeds out some potential problems but it also, sometimes, snares people like Molly.
Make Mine Butcher!