Author Topic: Could Harry have awoken something in Changes?  (Read 5374 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Harry have awoken something in Changes?
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »
The discussion on if there was a Dragon in Changes got me thinking.  That bloodline curse going off must have been like an earthquake on a supernatural scale.  Do you think that something (Old God?) that may have been locked up, trapped, slumbering could have been awoken, or it's cell weakened by the equivalent of a magical nuke going off?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Could Harry have awoken something in Changes?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »
I think there are a great many things set to awaken come Apocalyptic time.  It's likely that bloodline curse and its nightmare aftereffects loosened the hold of sleep on an entity at CI and/or entities around the world.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
The Fomor were definitely more active after Changes as a direct result of the Red Court's extinction. But whether they had actually been asleep before or just kept in check by the Red Court is probably just a technicality at this point.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
They were definitely active before Changes per short story Even Hand with Marcone perspective.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »
They were definitely active before Changes per short story Even Hand with Marcone perspective.

Also, per Bombshells, they were helping the Reds from the shadows, not being kept down by them.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
The Fomor were definitely more active after Changes as a direct result of the Red Court's extinction. But whether they had actually been asleep before or just kept in check by the Red Court is probably just a technicality at this point.

Or more like opportunists, not really held in check by the Red Court, but with their demise swept in to fill the power vacuum..

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »
Opportunities work best when you know when they are coming.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »
Opportunities work best when you know when they are coming.

Do they?  I think it is more the law of unexpected and unintentional consequences... 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
If they were working with the Red Court, they most likely were preparing in the event they won the war and wiped out the White Council.

But they were definitely preparing. Aftermath takes place just hours after Changes, and in it Murphy finds an operation that has been going on for weeks already.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
The discussion on if there was a Dragon in Changes got me thinking.  That bloodline curse going off must have been like an earthquake on a supernatural scale.  Do you think that something (Old God?) that may have been locked up, trapped, slumbering could have been awoken, or it's cell weakened by the equivalent of a magical nuke going off?

That could explain what caused all the unease/bad dreams amongst the pregnant women of the world...

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

Why not both.   There are a lot of agendas out there that are both aligned and in conflict.   The reds and the formor are not some minions of the black council and/or outsiders.  They are allies - or dupes - or manipulated - or victims - or ... well you get the picture.    But the key point is that each of these supernatural races are acting against the White Council because they see advantage in doing so.   Advantage specific to their personal position (of the leaders), and their nation/species.   

It is perfectly possible that the Formor are both helping the Reds and coveting the Red's territory at the same time.  And it is perfectly possible that the Formor have "jumped the gun" from the outsider's perspective by trying to claim so much territory right now and stirring up the supernatural world before the outsiders are ready to support their efforts.   Or maybe they are very closely aligned with outsider objectives.  I am not sure myself.   

One of the real nice elements of the Dresden series is that this is not a conflict of monoliths.   The Red Court fell in part because of internal feuding.   The White Court refused to support the war against the White Council due to their internal feuding.   The White Council's response to the war was inconsistent/hesitant because of their internal feuding.  The Summer and Winter Courts are not working closely together despite both  playing a vital role in protecting the outer gates.   This disunity at times helps and at times hurts the cause of humanity.  But it always makes for more interesting stories. 

The whole "game" of the outsiders is focused on manipulating the various supernatural nations into fighting - and distracting - each other, helped by a dose of nemfection to manipulate a few key players.   None of these groups would believe they are doing the bidding of outsiders.  I doubt even the black council believes that.   

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
That bloodline curse going off must have been like an earthquake on a supernatural scale.  Do you think that something (Old God?) that may have been locked up, trapped, slumbering could have been awoken, or it's cell weakened by the equivalent of a magical nuke going off?

Interesting thought.  I like it.   Even if all it did was create ripples in the magical either, it disturbed a lot of powers and made a number of them take notice of events where otherwise they were not paying attention.  That will have consequences.

The other possibility is that something important was weakened or damaged by the ripples of this magic.  Some vital protection compromised.   Some vital alarm turned off.  Some beacon to allow something very dark to find this world.   Fun stuff. :)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
I think there are a great many things set to awaken come Apocalyptic time.  It's likely that bloodline curse and its nightmare aftereffects loosened the hold of sleep on an entity at CI and/or entities around the world.
I fully hope the Kaiju event to read like Godzilla Wars lol. One of the one's where it's a huge 5 way grudge match with some hapless mortals stuck in the middle, like Harry.
Yes, the shared nightmare always implied to me he disturbed something in dream land... Course in a way he definitely awoke the things from the Fomor court that coulda been slumbering beneath the sea,
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
It was said the power of the rcv was from old gods, but heavily diluted. I wonder if there was some ancient progenitor, source of power or patron to them, that felt that curse as a strike to their power.
k moinuddin

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »
I just had a thought:  it is said that the RCVs kept the Fomor in check.  I think it's assumed militarily.  What if the Fomor feared the reds because the reds find them extremely tasty?

It was said the power of the rcv was from old gods, but heavily diluted. I wonder if there was some ancient progenitor, source of power or patron to them, that felt that curse as a strike to their power.

Or, that the reds were keeping the old gods weak by keeping them drained.  With the reds gone, the power begins to build again.