Author Topic: some questions about rpf  (Read 3395 times)

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
some questions about rpf
« on: October 05, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
okay while reading pazranet papers i got few questions in my mind.,
1. How good old teleportation classified in game terms since it dont suit any classic elements except spirit maybe how you classify it?
2. Can wizard create separate intelligence in his mind?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: some questions about rpf
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
1. Teleportation would be Worldwalking, I'd imagine.  Done at evocation's speeds.  Maybe sponsored magic?

2.  I don't know how that would work.  Technically, Dresden had a spirit being in his head that gave birth to a separate intelligence, if I remember correctly... And it almost killed him.  so...yes, maybe?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
RPF?

Anyway, I don't see any reason to prohibit creating pseudo-people in your mind. Seems like a bad idea, though.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
Teleportation doesn't really seem to be a thing in the setting; the closest we've ever seen is that lightning portal at the end of Changes, and that was still a portal and not really teleporting.

As Taran said, Worldwalking is probably the closest thing, but I'm honestly not sure it fits in the setting. Short-distance you could do as a Speed Power flavor, probably. Or a power for sprinting? But long distance I'd be wary of allowing.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Teleportation doesn't really seem to be a thing in the setting; the closest we've ever seen is that lightning portal at the end of Changes, and that was still a portal and not really teleporting.

As Taran said, Worldwalking is probably the closest thing, but I'm honestly not sure it fits in the setting. Short-distance you could do as a Speed Power flavor, probably. Or a power for sprinting? But long distance I'd be wary of allowing. 

I think the portal in Changes was to the Nevernever.  Didn't a horde of Kenku/Tengu come through it from the deep Nevernever?

In the Dresden'verse, it doesn't appear that "teleport" exists.  It's clear that even the most powerful wizards (e.g. senior council) rely upon mundane transport OFTEN, and when "speed is of the essence" they use (hopefully known / pre-scouted) Ways through the Nevernever.

That said... there is no reason that any given instance of a DFRPG game has to be 100% faithful to the books or to the RAW.  So if you want to do it and it it doesn't offend the sensibilities or "canon-purity" of other players at the table, GO FOR IT!

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »
  2. Can wizard create separate intelligence in his mind? 

Hrm.  It isn't clear to me that anything like a "Denarian Shadow" is amenable to being done by a mortal wizard; it also isn't clear that it's BEYOND mortal magic, so...  <shrug>  Very YMMV-territory!

Mind-magic seems to be a VERY-little-studied field (I would guess that running afoul of the Laws is VERY common for these practitioners, than staying clear of Lawbreaker!), so we don't have much rules-y guidelines.  Again:  YMMV-territory!

It may be worth considering the case of "Bob" the Spirit of Intellect.  This was a binding of a pre-existing spirit, not the creation of a new one.  The main thing I note here is that the original enchanter opted NOT to try creating a separate intelligence...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:14 AM »
I think the portal in Changes was to the Nevernever.  Didn't a horde of Kenku/Tengu come through it from the deep Nevernever?
Not that one. The one after the battle that took them straight to Chicago without going through the Nevernever.

That said... there is no reason that any given instance of a DFRPG game has to be 100% faithful to the books or to the RAW.  So if you want to do it and it it doesn't offend the sensibilities or "canon-purity" of other players at the table, GO FOR IT!
Agreed. I had one instance of teleportation in one of my games -- it was an NPC, and it was made clear to the players that this was not normally possible to stress how old and powerful that NPC was, that he had access to magic that the wizard PCs didn't know was even possible.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 03:34:08 AM »
There is a custom teleport power.  Which I will post a link to when I find it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 03:42:20 AM »

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Yeah, teleportation is hard in the setting. We've only really seen god-tier beings do it. There's the lightning gate that is a Real-world to Real-world portal instead of RW-Nevernever. An Archangel does it a bit. That kind of stuff.

Short distance, almost instant movement is possible but still hard. It's been done via Potion twice in the books, iirc. That's actually more something to go for - you can easily flavor a Speed power like that, as Mr Death said.

Offline lankyogre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »
I just reread Storm Front and Harry does mention a teleportation potion. I feel like a couple of things changed between Storm Front and the later books, like Harry’s attitude toward evocation, True Names, and Red Court vampires. So, that could have been a throw away line that Jim But her nixed later.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
There are absolutely things that changed, but this potion is used again in a much later book (the latest, actually) to essentially the same effect - no more than a city block or two.

That said - your game! If you find a cool story with teleportation, go with it!