Author Topic: Marcone and his knowledge/experience with the supernatural/magic prior to SF  (Read 6351 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Since Marcone has been a frequent topic recently, I thought a discussion on how much he knew or saw of the non-normal prior to SF might be interesting.
Some points I have been thinking about are: his willingness to buy off a recognized "charlatan" of magic, his state of preparedness for Harry's soulgaze, his unusual acceptance of magic as a cause of death, and his less skeptical attitude when compared with Murphy and others that have been exposed to the supernatural.
I believe that sometime during Marcone's military and criminal career he witness supernatural acts. I would not be surprised that he changed his name due to being related to or a known associate of a magic user. Having a dossier on Harry, due to his police connections or his public claims of being a wizard, would be well within Marcone SOP.
Anyone else's thoughts on the matter?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I kind of want him to have been involved in the Cambodian/Saigon evacuations, the Tehran mission, and the Grenada Invasion just so he'd have different cultural experiences with magic.

I can assume, for most, that the sight of an enraged wizard is
the most terrible thing they'll ever see. Our resident spellcaster,
with his considerable height, dark eyes and foreboding glower,
is no exception.  I've seen brave men -- men who have stared
unflinchingly down the barrel at certain death -- cower in his
presence.
   The wizard is a terrible sight to behold.
   But I've seen worse.
   I've stood at the edge of jungle, staring into the inky black. 
I've listened for the sound of the creature that stole orphans
from the streets in Saigon, a demon with a leopard's spots, but
possessing eyes more cruel than any natural born beast.
   I've watched a sandstorm rise amid the still desert air, the
swirling wall of stone and grit writhing like a serpent as it
worked its way into the choppers' engines.  Watched as the
motors died, sending my brothers-in-arms hurdling to the
desert floor, as the wind howled in triumph.
  I've stood watch over the broken walls of a fallen fort, as the
shadows in the darkness shifted and prowled, the native things
of that foreign shore as unwelcoming as the soldiers we'd slain
taking it.  I listened as the night took the others, one by one,
wondering all the while when the things would come for me.
  So yes, the wizard is terrible. 
   But I've seen worse.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
That is some awesome prose/free-form poetry.  Yours?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Nice Poetry man.

I've got a personal theory that he had either heard of, hired or worked with either Monoc Securities or Kincaid in the past. And got a first time free consultation, like a lot of security businesses do.

I desperately picture 2 or 3 scene's between Kincaid and Marcone/ his people off screen. The first being simple exchange of badass nods.

First between SIgrun gurd and Kincaid.

"Sigrun" Kincaid smirks with a twinkle in his eye's "Been awhile how have you been."

Sigrun returns the smile. "Since the hotel room in Venice, or the battlefield in the Congo?"

"Either, or. Whichever you preferred"

Sigrun grins and goes to return the banter. Hendricks grunts and growls uncomfortably. Sigrun settle for a wink. Kincaid winks back.

"Kincaid" Marcone Nods. "Don Marcone" Kincaid nods back.

The next scene Marcone tries to hire Kincaid for a job as he's not sure Monoc Securities are prepared to do it.

"Kincaid I wish to hire you again"

"Contracts not up with Ivy, Don Marcone"

"It's not immediate, but sometime in the future, within the next couple of years or so"

"What's the job"

"Dresden."

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Griffyn, you really need to publish your stuff. That kinda writing I would buy.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
That is some awesome prose/free-form poetry.  Yours?
Nice Poetry man.
Griffyn, you really need to publish your stuff. That kinda writing I would buy.
Thanks.  Just something I came up with, imagining a young Marcone.  I wish I had the time these days for writing, because I like the idea of a Marcone origin story.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:32:43 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I think the Three-Eye Drug (Third Eye? I can never remember) that started flooding the streets baffled Marcone's street level guys, and they had to start looking into it. They realized that there was something fundamentally different about it that made it greater than the sum of its parts, and Marcone had some of his guys (like Spike) start looking into magic in general.

It could also have been part of his recon into SI that he saw through some of their more creative reports.

Then, after Fool Moon, he realized that he was being targeting by supernatural elements that he couldn't do a damn thing about with guys with guns, so he reached out to Monoc Securities and started getting real lessons.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I think the Three-Eye Drug (Third Eye? I can never remember) that started flooding the streets baffled Marcone's street level guys, and they had to start looking into it. They realized that there was something fundamentally different about it that made it greater than the sum of its parts, and Marcone had some of his guys (like Spike) start looking into magic in general.

It could also have been part of his recon into SI that he saw through some of their more creative reports.

Then, after Fool Moon, he realized that he was being targeting by supernatural elements that he couldn't do a damn thing about with guys with guns, so he reached out to Monoc Securities and started getting real lessons.
I don't know.  He was very cool headed about the soulgaze.  And Harry's soulgaze apparently creeps everyone out.  So Marcone not only wasn't surprised that it could happen, but wasn't alarmed by the chaos he likely saw.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I don't know.  He was very cool headed about the soulgaze.  And Harry's soulgaze apparently creeps everyone out.  So Marcone not only wasn't surprised that it could happen, but wasn't alarmed by the chaos he likely saw.

I thought Three-Eye was on the streets for months before Storm Front, but I could be wrong.

Monica Sells say Victor started using magic when her son, Billy, was around four. Billy is described as a year or two younger than his sister, who is "on the gawky end of preadolescence," around 11 or twelve. So Billy is about nine in Storm Front, which means Victor started looking into magic about five years previous. I'd estimate it took him a couple of years to develop Three-Eye, and maybe worked on it for about a year or two more before he found the Beckitts and ramped up production.

I'd say about six months since the cops started noticing Three-Eye, maybe a year since it was sold on the street at a significant level. Plenty of time to do adequate research, in my opinion.

Still, it's fun to think about Marcone facing down a nest of vampires or something as a lad.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
I think Bony Tony coming to him and giving him the "pick of the litter" from Sirothrax's hord was his first encounter with the Supernatural world.

We know that Bony Tony did that.  We just don't know when.
We know that Marcone recognized that the killing of Jenny Stanton and Tommy Tomm as being supernatural, by Marcone wanting to pick up Harry and hire him to do nothing.
We know that Marcone recognizes that the Three-eye is made through magical means, he just can't find the guy because the guy (Victor Sells/Shadowman) terrifies his distributors.

Didn't Marcone point Harry at Harley MacFinn?  If he did, then he probably knew Harley's secret.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Marcone and his knowledge/experience with the supernatural/magic prior to SF
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
I think Bony Tony coming to him and giving him the "pick of the litter" from Sirothrax's hord was his first encounter with the Supernatural world.

We know that Bony Tony did that.  We just don't know when.
We know that Marcone recognized that the killing of Jenny Stanton and Tommy Tomm as being supernatural, by Marcone wanting to pick up Harry and hire him to do nothing.
We know that Marcone recognizes that the Three-eye is made through magical means, he just can't find the guy because the guy (Victor Sells/Shadowman) terrifies his distributors.

Didn't Marcone point Harry at Harley MacFinn?  If he did, then he probably knew Harley's secret.
1) Do we know for sure that the storage locker belonged to Siriothrax?
2) Only a few weeks after Tony put the stuff on sale, Grevane showed up.  So you're suggesting that Tony got the cache years earlier, and gave Marcone a couple paintings, and then sat on the rest?  And that Marcone, just looking at the rest, realized the Supernatural was real?  Because the text says Marcone told Tony about the supernatural after Grevane reached out to him.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Marcone and his knowledge/experience with the supernatural/magic prior to SF
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
My wild thought is that Marcone is related to or a known associate of a wizard. Hence the name change. And the lack of obvious surprise by the soulgaze. A wilder thought would be that he has worked with DuMorne. A more wilder thought would be that he is in some way related to Justin.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:39:54 PM »
My wild thought is that Marcone is related to or a known associate of a wizard. Hence the name change. And the lack of obvious surprise by the soulgaze. A wilder thought would be that he has worked with DuMorne. A more wilder thought would be that he is in some way related to Justin.
That's all too "small world" for me.  I've got an idea that Marcone took the name of a dead man to get out of trouble.  Specifically, that he was a street rat in 60's Chicago that joined the military as John Marcone to get out of town.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »

I think that if Marcone had anything from Siro's Hord, he wouldn't be magically winning at life and somehow becoming an equal peer with Mab and Hades overnight.

Remember there was a WoJ on Siro and how nobody wants to touch his stash because it has a Fuck-Mothering Dragons death-curse attached to it.

As for Marcone's history with the Supernatural, I don't think there was much of one. I think that Bianca and The Shadowman started a turf-war with him, and so he started digging.

And he found that yes, the supernatural is apparently a thing (As Anna Valmont said, they don't try all that hard to hide it) and that he has no real way to properly counter it. Which led him to Harry (Shady Ex-Con Wizard with a desperate need for cash) and later Monoc (Mercenary Security Firm) to provide expert help to both Counter potential threats and Expand his Empire into this new, untapped source of Wealth and Influence.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 12:23:39 AM »
That's all too "small world" for me.  I've got an idea that Marcone took the name of a dead man to get out of trouble.  Specifically, that he was a street rat in 60's Chicago that joined the military as John Marcone to get out of town.
I agree on small world. But he has to have run into a wizard somewhere.
Make Mine Butcher!