Author Topic: Does Molly still have her soul?  (Read 12581 times)

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
Does Molly still have her soul?
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:27 AM »
I don’t know the answer to this.  I have a suspicion, but I want to ask the class here and see what your thoughts are.

It’s implied, though never directly stated, that Mab doesn’t have a soul, as she’s not human but Fae.

Quote from: ”Summer Knight”
I didn't meet Mab's eyes. I wasn't worried about a soulgaze any longer. Both parties had to have a soul for that to happen. But plenty of things can get to you if you make eye contact too long. It carries all sorts of emotions and metaphors. I stared at Mab's chin, my hand burning with pain, and said nothing because I was afraid.

One could argue that this is just an inexperienced Dresden just assuming that all fae don’t have souls.  However, it appears that Harry and Mab do have moments where they stare deeply at each other and a soul gaze is not started.  Case in point, Harry’s first moments in Cold Days.

Quote from: ”Cold Days”
I hadn't seen her picking up the thick, fluffy pillow beside me while she held my eyes. So I was totally unprepared when she struck, as fast as any snake, and slammed the pillow down over my face.

If Mab doesn’t have a soul, this is significant because she once did.  She was human once, after all.

Quote from: ”Cold Days”
Mab did not turn around.  When she spoke, her voice had something in it I had never heard there before and never heard again – uncertainty.  Vulnerability.
“I was mortal once, you know,” she said, very quietly.

Evidence seems to show that the mantles of the Queens – at least, the Ladies – don’t come on all at once, but are gradual.  Possibly related to choice.  Evidence is seen with Lily’s first appearance as the Summer Lady.  She says a LOT of untruths – most notably, that it’s the first time this power has come to a mortal.

Quote from: ”Summer Knight”
Lily flushed prettily and nodded. "I know. I didn't want it, but when - when Aurora died, her power flowed into the nearest Summer vessel. Usually it would be one of the other Queens, but I had the Knight's power and it just sort of ... plopped in there."
I lifted my eyebrows and said, "Are you okay?
She frowned. "I'm not sure. It's a lot to think about. And it's the first time this kind of power has fallen to a mortal."
"You mean you're not, uh. You haven't?"
"Chosen?" Lily asked. She shook her head. "It's just me. I don't know what I'm going to do, but Titania said she'd teach me."

Now, IF Mab doesn’t have a soul, and the loss of one’s soul happens as one turns into Fae, then it does also follow that there’s a choice which must be made.  The soul, apparently, is protected.

Quote from: ”Ghost Story”
Bob shook his head. "I didn't think it was possible for them to do that to you. According to what I've heard, your soul's your own. I'd have thought you would have to walk into something like this willingly, but . . ."
I held up the heel of my hand and butted my forehead against it in steady rhythm.
"Oh, Harry," Bob said, his voice profoundly disappointed. "You didn't."
"They didn't explain it exactly the way you did," I said. "Not in so many words."
"But they gave you a choice?"
Captain Murphy had done exactly that. It had been phrased in such a way that I hadn't really had much of a choice, but I'd had a choice. "Yeah."

And the evidence is pretty plain that Molly didn’t choose the mantle.  It just sorta happened to her, just like Aurora – it just plopped in the closest vessel of winter.

But there’s disturbing things about Molly.  Dresden is beginning to fear that she’s more fae than human.

Quote from: ”Skin Game”
That stopped me in my tracks.
Cell phones were some of the technology that was absolutely the most sensitive to the unbalanced fields of energy around a mortal wizard. When one of us got near a powered-up cell phone, it was likely to kick the bucket right there.
Inhuman practitioners, on the other hand, had no problem with that effect whatsoever.
And I suddenly felt very afraid for Molly.

And furthermore, even if she didn’t choose her role in the beginning, she seems to have accepted it now.

Quote from: ”Skin Game”
I smiled at her a little. “Makes two of us,” I said. “How you holding up?”
Her eyes glittered. “It’s . . . been really interesting. It all looks very, very different from the inside.”
“Usually how it works,” I said. “Tell me about it?”
“Can’t, literally,” she said cheerfully and waved an airy hand. “Faerie mystique and all that.”
“Figures. You like it?”
“Not always,” she said without rancor. “But . . . it’s necessary work. Worth doing.”

So, everyone, my questions are:
A)   Is Dresden correct, that a full Fae does not have a soul?
B)   Does Molly still have her soul?

Discuss.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Does Molly still have her soul?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:53:59 AM »
As late as Proven Guilty Lily stil exhibited signs that she was still humanish or had human traits. A willingness to help beyond Fae Balance for instance, as well as old jokes between Friends. I would argue that Molly is like Harry in a battle to save her soul on multiple levels, and is in a lot of ways in more danger than Harry is, particularly since she isolates herself from her family who are her bed rock. Seriously outliving them is going to suuuuuck. Assuming she makes it.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:21:38 AM »
Jim has said that it's inevitable, but not immediate.  That becoming fae (and presumably certain other supernatural entities) will cause a loss of the soul, but it's not an instant thing.  Presumably it means that you've got X soul in you when you become fae, and once you use it up, it's gone, no amount of teppanyaki or sex with your boss brings it back.

So I'd say that, as it stands, Molly does still have her soul.  Maybe even most of it.  But it's only been a few years.

Also, note that Jim has also said that even regular old humans can lose their souls as well, just by being horrible enough.  No supernatural intervention required.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:25:05 AM »
It is not a binary thing though it is presented as such in the earlier books. The whole plot in Cold Days is based on the fact that it is still difficult for Mab to kill her daughter even if her purpose demands it from her, there is still something of her soul left.

There is some later woj about it, the soul is a complicated thing and he is not sure even about Mab yet, we will see how it plays out.

At the moment Molly's soul is still there, these things take time depending on the person and the mantle.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
I would say her soul has been suppressed by her Mantle in order for her to perform her duties. If Mab still has a remnant after over a thousand years than Molly would still have most of hers even if it is not as easy to access.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
I would say her soul has been suppressed by her Mantle in order for her to perform her duties. If Mab still has a remnant after over a thousand years than Molly would still have most of hers even if it is not as easy to access.
Supressed and slowly consumed. Thematically, the biggest difference between a fallen and a Mantle is the Fallen is technically in the coin. The mantle wraps itself around your soul directly and the more you use it the more it replaces you. And... the biggest difference between a possession and a Mantle is the Mantle has no consciousness attached, its the subconscious mantle impressing upon the consciousness itself. All 3 are spiritual entities.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »

Though with the death of Maeve, Mab showed some vulnerability and admitted to Harry she was "human" once.  Kringle then warned Harry never to to tell anyone what he witnessed in Mab or have that kind of confrontation in front of anyone because she is very proud.   Hint of still having a soul?  Or just a frank admission that she was human at one time?

I think we are confusing behavior with facts..   One can have a soul and still act coldly, badly, or down right evil, the way that Denarians act for the most part under the influence of their coins, yet they still have souls.. Or at least the Nights of the Cross think so, their primary mission is the attempt to help them give up their coins and start on the road to redemption..

So having said all of that, does Mab still have a soul?  If she does she'll never admit to it... Does Molly?  I'd say she does and I doubt that she will lose it...

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Add in, it comes down to Molly's choices.  I recall in Small Favor when Bob talked about things which will help Harry recover his soul when he uses Soul Fire.  Like that, if Molly acts in intrinsically good ways, showing love and accepting love of family, being a good person, she can recover her soul.  If she can save the children of Winter Fae from becoming soldiers, that will be a truly great act.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
   Though with the death of Maeve, Mab showed some vulnerability and admitted to Harry she was "human" once.  Kringle then warned Harry never to to tell anyone what he witnessed in Mab or have that kind of confrontation in front of anyone because she is very proud.   Hint of still having a soul?  Or just a frank admission that she was human at one time?

I think we are confusing behavior with facts..   One can have a soul and still act coldly, badly, or down right evil, the way that Denarians act for the most part under the influence of their coins, yet they still have souls.. Or at least the Nights of the Cross think so, their primary mission is the attempt to help them give up their coins and start on the road to redemption..

So having said all of that, does Mab still have a soul?  If she does she'll never admit to it... Does Molly?  I'd say she does and I doubt that she will lose it...
I think the discussion gets confused because we are not always talking about the same thing when we use the word soul, even in the dresdenverse.

It can be the thing Bob sees that you can exchange with other humans while hugging them or it can be an abstract thing, the essence of your being as Mother Summer describes it. Becoming evil can be described as loosing your soul because you are no longer the person you were so your essential You-ness is gone but you are still something.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
I have a working theory on souls, spirits, mantles, and free-will.  One day, I am going to do a complete re-read and work it through in totality.  But in essence;
Soul:  What you are, your essence and identity, at your core.
Spirit:  The rules and beliefs with which you operate in the world.
Mantle:  A specific set of rules and beliefs.
Free Will:  The ability for there to be conflict and influence between Soul and Spirit.

So, to my theory, a human taking on a mantle brings a powerful new spirit (set of rules and beliefs) into the Free Will conflict.  The less the humans fight the Mantle, the more it is able to assert its influence upon the soul.  Essentially, the mantle will eventually overcome the soul- wiping out free will in the process.  You simply become a conduit for the rules and beliefs inherent in the mantle.

Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
I have a working theory on souls, spirits, mantles, and free-will.  One day, I am going to do a complete re-read and work it through in totality.  But in essence;
Soul:  What you are, your essence and identity, at your core.
Spirit:  The rules and beliefs with which you operate in the world.
Mantle:  A specific set of rules and beliefs.
Free Will:  The ability for there to be conflict and influence between Soul and Spirit.

So, to my theory, a human taking on a mantle brings a powerful new spirit (set of rules and beliefs) into the Free Will conflict.  The less the humans fight the Mantle, the more it is able to assert its influence upon the soul.  Essentially, the mantle will eventually overcome the soul- wiping out free will in the process.  You simply become a conduit for the rules and beliefs inherent in the mantle.
And if you then take away the mantle what will that person be?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
Add in, it comes down to Molly's choices.  I recall in Small Favor when Bob talked about things which will help Harry recover his soul when he uses Soul Fire.  Like that, if Molly acts in intrinsically good ways, showing love and accepting love of family, being a good person, she can recover her soul.  If she can save the children of Winter Fae from becoming soldiers, that will be a truly great act.

I think there's more to it than that. Lily was trying to act in intrinsically good ways, and she still got her personality substantially overwritten in a decade or so.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
I think there's more to it than that. Lily was trying to act in intrinsically good ways, and she still got her personality substantially overwritten in a decade or so.
I do not think it is that simple. A summer lady can act in good ways as well. It is about having a strong personality and acting in a Lilly way.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
Well, if their souls are lost, what happens to them? There is direct confirmation of an afterlife in the Dresden Universe. Does that soul get to move on when the mantle gets crammed in there? Will it ever? Because if it just gets consumed, then Mab sentenced Molly, Maeve, and Sarissa to actual, literal oblivion, eternity-wise.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
I think it's a bit telling that at the end of Summer Knight, Lily says that she hasn't yet made her choice on what to do. In Cold Days, she angrily says that she never had a choice. Lily can't lie, and she can't deceive herself... so what does she mean by this? I mean, if the soul is protected by choice, what can she mean?

I think that yes, this might be one of those gradual, little-at-a-time things, like how someone gives in to the fallen in a coin. Give an inch, then an inch, then an inch, and before you realize what you've done you're neck deep and sinking fast. And you didn't even realize you were making the choice to give up your humanity because it all happened so subtly.