Author Topic: Grimm Fairy Tales  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Grimm Fairy Tales
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »
I've downloaded half a dozen versions on kindle I've yet to find one with anything 'grimm' the definitional word in them nor one that isn't heavily Christianised. At least one tale is consistant in that it replaces a powerful Fae Godmother with the Virgin Mary. There's also tales about a girl in heaven who unlocked the thirteenth door when she was told not to but she was 14 and curious so she did and the Virgin Mary cast her down from heaven, muted her and kidnapped three of her children until she repented.

Yet to find the legendary Grimm and Gruesome tales of Cinderella's Step-sisters cutting off their own feet. I've download 1810 and 1812 translations, but I still seem to be getting the watered down version. Even though a couple are clearly academic standard discussing the merits and nuances of a particular word in German translated to English. Love those footnotes.

Anybody got any idea where I can find the legendary Grimm and Gruesome Fairy Tales that Mab commissioned?

Also so far very little mention of the Sidhe or any beings that could be them. Though I see a few Toot like sprites pop up now and again.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Grimm Fairy Tales
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »
In paper and leather my friend. Books-a-million had it all last year. I bought the 2 part paperbacks and then they got the buff Hardback with depictions and I had to have it. Gave the others to my niece.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Here's the deal on the translated original, which apparently wasn't translated into English until 2014.
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10300.html

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »
Isn't it illegal to charge so much 200 years after publication?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:50:56 AM »
Yet to find the legendary Grimm and Gruesome tales of Cinderella's Step-sisters cutting off their own feet. I've download 1810 and 1812 translations, but I still seem to be getting the watered down version. Even though a couple are clearly academic standard discussing the merits and nuances of a particular word in German translated to English. Love those footnotes.

I remember hearing that version when I was a child, wonder if it was censored to fit more modern tastes as to what children should hear.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:16 AM »
All the translations I've got a super kid friendly and super christianised

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
All the translations I've got a super kid friendly and super christianised

Widen your search, even Wikipedia tells of the earlier version from Greek mythology, with links..  I also found a German version where Cinderella is really a tough witch with some vengeful birds, that is the one with the cutting of toes and heels to fit the shoe.  The stepmother had a fascination with lentils of all things.

On Amazon try, "Cinderella All 29 Versions," you can get it on Kindle..  Not all are cleaned up Christian versions..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:08:44 AM by Mira »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
Isn't it illegal to charge so much 200 years after publication?
Not when it's been freshly translated.
TRANSLATED WORK:
“ The original work and the translation are each entitled to copyright – copyright in the translation belongs to the translator and exists in addition to, rather than instead of, the copyright in the underlying work.”

Meaning, a translation has its own copyrighted period and copyright owner: the translator. He is the one to contact for permissions. Then the same copyright rules apply to the translator than the ones applying to the author.
source

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
Not when it's been freshly translated.source

It's like profiting off of Shakespeare because you wrote annotations in the margins for dumb bored teens in highschool. Your still profiting off of people's long dead work and selling it up market for your own profit.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
It's like profiting off of Shakespeare because you wrote annotations in the margins for dumb bored teens in highschool. Your still profiting off of people's long dead work and selling it up market for your own profit.
???  You think people should work for free?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
Astonishingly, when people do work, they think they should get paid for that work.  If you don't like it, you're always welcome to not buy the annotated version.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Or you can study the subject and annotate it yourself so you can get some idea about what price tag it should have  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:09 AM »
Archive.org might have what your are looking for.

Kinder- und Hausmärchen
by Grimm, Jacob, 1785-1863; Grimm, Wilhelm, 1786-1859

https://archive.org/details/kinderundhausm00grimuoft

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
Archive.org might have what your are looking for.

Kinder- und Hausmärchen
by Grimm, Jacob, 1785-1863; Grimm, Wilhelm, 1786-1859

https://archive.org/details/kinderundhausm00grimuoft
As you see it was written in Gothic so you need to give the translator some credit  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »
I may have to buy this version.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---