Author Topic: Fae guesting laws  (Read 3191 times)

Offline ufaforwork3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Fae guesting laws
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
ยูฟ่าเบท
So what are the actual fae guesting laws? I'm making a piece of art for a friend who would like a caligraphy 
สมัครยูฟ่าเบทversion of them to hang on the wall but Im having a hard time finding them. Has Mr. Butcher ever actualy published them? If not what would a rough aproximation of them be like?
ทางเข้ายูฟ่าเบท

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Fae guesting laws
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »
I've seen this question asked before and there is no straight answer.

It basically breaks down to, be a good guest and be a good host.  Or there shall be consequences.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 04:07:36 PM »
I don't think that the laws of hospitality have ever been stated exact. There may not even be a written law. (You don't learn winter law, after all, you just know it.)

I think, though, that Cat Sith gave the clearest guidelines of how one is to act and the implied consequences.

While I am here I am bound by the same traditions as would apply if I were your invited guest.  I will offer no harm to anyone you have accepted  into your home, nor take any action which would be considered untoward for a guest. I will report nothing of what I see and hear in this place, and make every effort to aid and assist your household and other guests while I remain.

I suppose I am obliged to comport myself as a proper host, then?

Say, instead, that I am under no obligation  to allow myself to be harmed, or remain and give my aid, if you behave in any other fashion. If you began shooting at me with that weapon, for example, I would depart without doing harm, and only then would I hunt you, catch you outside the protection of your threshhold, and kill you in order to discourage such behavior from others in the future.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
I don't think that the laws of hospitality have ever been stated exact. There may not even be a written law. (You don't learn winter law, after all, you just know it.)

I think, though, that Cat Sith gave the clearest guidelines of how one is to act and the implied consequences.
While I am here I am bound by the same traditions as would apply if I were your invited guest.  I will offer no harm to anyone you have accepted  into your home, nor take any action which would be considered untoward for a guest. I will report nothing of what I see and hear in this place, and make every effort to aid and assist your household and other guests while I remain.

I suppose I am obliged to comport myself as a proper host, then?

Say, instead, that I am under no obligation  to allow myself to be harmed, or remain and give my aid, if you behave in any other fashion. If you began shooting at me with that weapon, for example, I would depart without doing harm, and only then would I hunt you, catch you outside the protection of your threshold, and kill you in order to discourage such behavior from others in the future.

Oh, I so like Cat-Sith
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »
It probably wouldn't make a good caligraphy wall hanging, though.

... Or, possibly, it would make an excellent wall hanging.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:59 AM »
It probably wouldn't make a good caligraphy wall hanging, though.

... Or, possibly, it would make an excellent wall hanging.
I gotta ask, who is that smug SoB in your avatar pic? I like it :)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Jonathan Strange, from Susanna Clarke's Hugo-winning novel Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. The picture is from one of their promotional spots when the BBC did a miniseries on it. It's essentially a gigantic opus about magic and Faeries told in an alternate history England during the Napoleonic wars, and written in a style similar to Jane Austin.

It's one of my favorite books.

Offline circe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
I so miss Cat Sith, too. I wish he could or would make a come back.