Author Topic: Skin Game reread - How fast can spirits move?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline phi1601

• Participant
    • View Profile
Skin Game reread - How fast can spirits move?
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
“Bob,” he said.
Glowing lights surged up out of one of the pouches on his Batman vest, dancing nervously in the slowly growing light of dawn. “Yeah, boss?”
“We’re going in.”
“Uh . . .”
“If anything happens to me,” he said, “I want you to head back to the skull. Tell Andi everything you saw. Tell her I said to get you to someone responsible. And tell her that I said that I loved her.
Okay?”
A few pages later..
Butters flew off of her and landed six feet away, sprawled and dazed on the icy street. I could see blood running from one of his ears. He made a vague, spreading gesture with one hand, and Bob’s trail of campfire sparks emerged from the duster and soared away in the general direction of Butters’s apartment.
“What was that?” Tessa demanded, her tone furious as she came back to her feet.
“A detail,” Nicodemus said, his tone harsh.
And then..
There was a sound like a howl of holy trumpets backed up by the voices of an entire choir. And suddenly a shaft of blinding silver-white light three feet long sprang from the broken hilt of Fidelacchius and shone in the first golden light of that day’s dawn, humming with the full power of the Sword, only louder now, more melodic, and physically audible

The last two quotes are just one inner-monologue and one sword-throw apart. Can Bob really move that fast? I'm assuming he's fine since it would be weird for Bob to have been vaporized offscreen with no mention until the next book. But is this an oversight by Jim or can spirits move across the city in seconds?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:36:25 PM by phi1601 »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Skin Game reread - How fast can spirits move?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »
A few pages later..And then..
The last two quotes are just one inner-monologue and one sword-throw apart. Can Bob really move that fast? I'm assuming he's fine since it would be weird for Bob to have been vaporized offscreen with no mention until the next book. But is this an oversight by Jim or can spirits move across the city in seconds?
He could have found a temporary vessel, like a stray cat, to commandeer if he needed it. I think he's rode around in Mister during daylight before.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
For all we know, he literally found Mister.  Murphy lives in Bucktown as well, after all, and Mister likes going off on nighttime rambles.  Assuming that Bob can teleport-dash like Ghost Harry, I’m not too concerned that he might have found a vessel in that time.

I mean, we know that Bob survives; Jim says that Harry’s going to have to have a talk with Bob to stay away from Bonnie.  So either Butters’ apartment is within teleport-dash range, or Bob found a kitty to hang out with.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Considering that Bob is a spirit, I think his speed is only limited by his need.  Perhaps the speed of light.  Since he can feel the coming of the dawn, I'm sure he'd have said something if he wouldn't be able to make it.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---