Author Topic: Fellowship and Formor  (Read 7692 times)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fellowship and Formor
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
They could hide themselves by pretending to be those that go to Renaissance fairs and other such reenactments.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
Oh, that would be cool.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
Consider how it would look to an outsider; mysterious deaths and/or kidnappings occur, and activity among these people increase. It seems like they speak in code to someone who isn't clued in. "We had another ghoul attack," for example; how would someone gathering intelligence interpret that? To some, things might look like a territorial or criminal interest dispute. Then they call in help from people like Dresden, who is definitely on several terror watchlists by this point...

There are thousands of people who die each year in car accidents who gather together in groups, engage in strange dialoged and code words and have a massive social network of semi-cryptic communication.   Is this a conspiracy against some secret society or a coincidence.   If I said the group were football fans and the accidents were just random chance.  If you get millions of fans, statistically several thousand would die in car accidents.  It is not a conspiracy.

My point is that the police agencies would have to
a) recognize that that paraneters are some kind of international organization with a specific agenda
b) recognize that all these disappearances of various marginal members of society are connected and not just a random spike in crime. 
c) recognize that the paranet is the connection point -- despite the fact that I suspect "most" of the kidnapped are not paranetters.   I suspect only a fraction of the gifted belong the paranet as active paranet participation requires a high degree of passion to overcome inertia/business of life. 
d) recognize that there is something different about paranetters that makes them a target (ie - magic). 

So if someone connects A, B, C together, they can see a pattern.   Even if they do see the pattern, they will not understand/accept it as causation unless they know D.  Then they must convince their peers and superiors it is important when they those same superiors will almost certainly not accept D.   

It is certainly possible given the scale of kidnappings the Formor have conducted.  But it is still not likely and almost certainly not something accepted wildly except maybe by the government magical agency which has the advantage of already knowing C and D.   

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
There are thousands of people who die each year in car accidents who gather together in groups, engage in strange dialoged and code words and have a massive social network of semi-cryptic communication.   Is this a conspiracy against some secret society or a coincidence.   If I said the group were football fans and the accidents were just random chance.  If you get millions of fans, statistically several thousand would die in car accidents.  It is not a conspiracy.

My point is that the police agencies would have to
a) recognize that that paraneters are some kind of international organization with a specific agenda
b) recognize that all these disappearances of various marginal members of society are connected and not just a random spike in crime. 
c) recognize that the paranet is the connection point -- despite the fact that I suspect "most" of the kidnapped are not paranetters.   I suspect only a fraction of the gifted belong the paranet as active paranet participation requires a high degree of passion to overcome inertia/business of life. 
d) recognize that there is something different about paranetters that makes them a target (ie - magic). 

So if someone connects A, B, C together, they can see a pattern.   Even if they do see the pattern, they will not understand/accept it as causation unless they know D.  Then they must convince their peers and superiors it is important when they those same superiors will almost certainly not accept D.   

It is certainly possible given the scale of kidnappings the Formor have conducted.  But it is still not likely and almost certainly not something accepted wildly except maybe by the government magical agency which has the advantage of already knowing C and D.   

It's not so much car accidents and football fans, it's disappearances and season ticket holders, if that makes sense. They'd have to recognize the pattern, sure, but there is a pattern. I'm going to disagree with you on the following points:

A. I don't think that they need to recognize paranetters as having a specific group agenda, just membership.
B. Recognizing that they are part of the Paranet is what would indicate that they are connected.
C. I can't disagree with that, because there isn't enough about the way the Paranet is organized to dispute it. I would say that they don't necessarily have to be active members (as in going to meetings) to be part of the organization. Most of the minor talents can use computers and cell phones, assuming they're on the level of Ordo members, so I'm further assuming that a chunk of the organization is digital.
D. They don't need to know that there's something special about the Paranetters, only that they're being targeted or involved in some way.

My point is mostly that there's a significant connection between these people, and the FBI actively looks for those types of patterns. If disappearing people were members of or connected to members of the New England Ornithology Society, you bet they'd have the rest of them under surveillance.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
Agree with you.  They can certainly see Paraneters as the target of some group and all the pieces are in place for that determination. 

My point was that all that criteria would have to be in place if the FBI (for example) would consider Paraneters a terrorist organization or secret society.   It is the difference between seeing Paraneters as victims vs seeing them as players. 

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
A lot of the paranet is currently focused on self defence and protection. So this might raise some concerns if they seem too aggressive or violent.
k moinuddin