Author Topic: Fellowship and Formor  (Read 7698 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Fellowship and Formor
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »
The fellowship was described in Changes as a organization that recruited from the supernatural renegades/loners/refugees - language not super dissimilar from what was used to describe the Formor.  Certainly the two groups are different organizations.  But it is possible that there was regular contact between the two organizations, perhaps even shared operations and/or occasional cooperation. 

Normally this would be a non-issue, but the Formor are clearly in the enemy camp right now.  I can totally see a book where Dresden needs to get into one of the Formor aquatic cities and rescue someone and/or free a bunch of prisoners and/or disrupt something important.   Information in that scenario would be of vital importance.   Dresden can track down a former member of the fellowship for that info.   The fellowship was not, after all, entirely made up of half vampires.  They had other supernatural members who are probably still around.   Not sure of this individual would hate Dresden or love him (or probably both) for what happened in Changes.  But it could make a very good and tension filled story.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fellowship and Formor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:51:05 AM »
The fomor are likely those that I braced their inhuman natures, while those in the fellowship embraced their humanity. The fellowship are likely filled with scions, while the fomor getting dusting supernatural races.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
While their basic descriptions are similar, I don't think they actually have any cross-over.  It seems to me that the primary purpose of the Fellowship was to fight the Vampires (reds only?).  While the Fomor have been moving behind the scenes for a long time and only now (to Harry's view) have come into the light.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
The fellowship were likely involved in the rcv due to the sheer number of Demi rcv out there. Other half breeds were likely created via breeding. Scions are likely the most common form of half breeds, usually it is just mortal or supernatural, with no in between,
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
I wonder if Changlings count in that.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
Both the fellowship and the Formor recruited heavily from outcasts. example - Hanah asher was recruited by fellowship.  Just saying that there are likely to be connections (personal or organizational).  They recruit from the same pool of creatures and are both outcasts and they both mostly work outside of supernatural society.   I would be shocked if some members of the fellowship did know well some members of the Formor

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »
Comparing the Fomor and the Fellowship is like comparing horses and elephants.  They both have four legs, big ears and long noses.  But they are really different animals.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:05 AM »
Even if your hypothesis is correct, any surviving members of the Fellowship might not be too happy to see Harry seeing as how in destroying the Red Court Harry also killed most members of the Fellowship.  Hannah Ascher's anger towards Harry might only be somewhat exaggerated compared to what non-denarian survivors of the Fellowship feel about Harry.  Of course, some would be OK with what Harry did, but that doesn't necessarily translate into wanting to help Harry, especially for someone who got their life back and now wants nothing to do with the magical world. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
Even if your hypothesis is correct, any surviving members of the Fellowship might not be too happy to see Harry seeing as how in destroying the Red Court Harry also killed most members of the Fellowship.

Agree that surviving fellowship members are almost certainly young and/or not half vamps.  They are unlikely to be the ones so dedicated the cause that they willingly except the deaths of their friends.   That said, most of the fellowship was killed by the Red Court and their leadership decapitated -- as stated by Martin to the Red King.   If the survivors are aware of this, they may see Harry's actions more favorably as most of the survivors from near certain death.    In any case, they are - at best - going to have mixed feelings about Harry's actions.    However, I think that just would make the story more interesting if Harry must recruit such reluctant help. 

Comparing the Fomor and the Fellowship is like comparing horses and elephants.  They both have four legs, big ears and long noses.  But they are really different animals.

Not sure they were that different.  The books implied that the fellowship were into all sorts of illegal (but unstated) activities to raise money and clearly operated in a manner similar to terrorists (bombings, etc).  It is likely they smuggled drugs, bombed, assassinated and did other unpleasant things.  These were not knights of the cross.   Having contacts with the Formor seems quite reasonable/likely to me given this context. 

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
Not sure they were that different.  The books implied that the fellowship were into all sorts of illegal (but unstated) activities to raise money and clearly operated in a manner similar to terrorists (bombings, etc).  It is likely they smuggled drugs, bombed, assassinated and did other unpleasant things.  These were not knights of the cross.   Having contacts with the Formor seems quite reasonable/likely to me given this context.

I like to think of them as the CIS as opposed to the KGB.  They both really do the same things, but the CIA are OUR bad guys.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:56:39 AM »
Changelings are a form of scion, or half breed.

I wonder how many of the accords have some kind of half breed associated with them. Technically the Wcv always seemed to me to be a breed of half breeds. I generally think that most of the fellowship are made of those not linked to the accords.
k moinuddin

Offline Froklsnt

• Participant
  • Mister, where I come from, there is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
"Recruited" is relative here. If you are referring to the events of Aftermath, the Fomor aren't so much recruiting as enslaving. If instead you're referring to how the Fomor are made up of a smattering of lesser supernatural races, that's at least more analogous. But the pool they're drawing from seems to be more of the Nevernever variety than the mortal realm.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
I always thought that for some reason the ghouls and BCV would be ideal potential members of the fomor.
k moinuddin

Offline Froklsnt

• Participant
  • Mister, where I come from, there is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
There seem to be plenty of ghouls around, but I'd certainly agree that the BCV and Fomor would make sense as allies; the supernatural nations which have entered decline.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:30 PM »
They are unlikely to be the ones so dedicated the cause that they willingly except the deaths of their friends.   That said, most of the fellowship was killed by the Red Court and their leadership decapitated -- as stated by Martin to the Red King.   

Are we actually sure Martin really got the rest of the Fellowship killed? He was fully intending to be dead via his triple agent plot within about five minutes of revealing himself as a supposed double agent. Might he not just have misdirected the assassins and lied to the king that they'd accomplished their tasks?