Author Topic: Not sure which direction to go.  (Read 3467 times)

Offline 13x13

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Slacker by Birth, Genius by Choice
Not sure which direction to go.
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:45:16 AM »
So here is my dilemma.  Part of me wants to write a fantasy novel, because it has a larger audience and I feel I can write more of a character centric story.  However, all the ideas have me coming back to sci-fi.  Problem with Sci-fi is the idea for the novel or short story, is not character based but idea based and it's audience is smaller than fantasy.  Not sure which direction to go.

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
Re: Not sure which direction to go.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 04:58:02 AM »
Well, which do you want to write? What's more in your interest? A character-centric story, or a plot-centric one? Heck, even try writing out the first few pages of both to gauge what you want to do.
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:38:21 AM »
Try the plot, see if a character crawls out of it.  Even if you end up with just a plot bases story skeleton, you can always shelve it for future reference, until a character happens in your head that would make it sing.

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
Can you combine the two ideas? Maybe you might find your own genre of story thats very appealing.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
So here is my dilemma.  Part of me wants to write a fantasy novel, because it has a larger audience and I feel I can write more of a character centric story.  However, all the ideas have me coming back to sci-fi.  Problem with Sci-fi is the idea for the novel or short story, is not character based but idea based and it's audience is smaller than fantasy.  Not sure which direction to go.

Do both.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
Even if the work is idea driven, won't you still come back to characters to tell the story?  Are you thinking fantasy from a pure need or desire to seek publication?  Perhaps, you are listening to the wrong motivation, especially if you keep shifting to straigh scifi.  

How about you follow the direction that will most challenge or improve your craft?  Well writing to you, no matter what you decide.  
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »
Who says Science Fiction can't be character-based? Course it can, just like any other genre. Do you know McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Series? It's all about Miles Vorkosigan, the main character. The novels are fast-paced anyway. Plus, you might want to look at the subgenres. As for mixing SciFi and Fantasy, that's not really a new idea, it's been done before. So often, it's a subgenre in its own right.

Just start writing and see where it leads you. Good luck.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:49:20 PM »
What she said,

Write the story first and see where it fits. It is all about the people in the story and in keeping your readers interested. the markets are out there, write it, and get it out to see what they think of it.
Regards,
Kevin

Who says Science Fiction can't be character-based? Course it can, just like any other genre. Do you know McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Series? It's all about Miles Vorkosigan, the main character. The novels are fast-paced anyway. Plus, you might want to look at the subgenres. As for mixing SciFi and Fantasy, that's not really a new idea, it's been done before. So often, it's a subgenre in its own right.

Just start writing and see where it leads you. Good luck.
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:53 AM »
Don't worry about the market or audience at this point.  Write what feels most natural and good for you.  When you write with a target--and not your heart--in mind, it shows.  (I know, I know...that sounds very Zen like, but a lot of writers say this, and I can verify it with personal experience).

As for the character/idea problem, start writing the idea and see if the characters can come together as you do it.  It might be useful to do exercises with them, writing up bios or trait sheets.  There are a lot of great chracter trait books out there, and while it may seem formulaic, starting with those can actually spark some ideas.  You may then find the characters starting to drive the story as you write it, the more you start to think about them.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com