Author Topic: Ivy/The Archive and digital information  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy/The Archive and digital information
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 11:50:23 PM »
Hope she doesn't automatically understand all languages.  Because binary would let her not only read all internet text, but potentially see and hear all digital video and audio.

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
"If it's been written down, I know it. I understand it.

50 Shades of Gray and similar books. Also Computer Science.
... hear me roar ;)

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:57 AM »
Cold Case Spoiler
(click to show/hide)

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:57 AM »
Cold Case Spoiler
(click to show/hide)

Now you've done it.

Also: Textbooks on languages.
Also, also: Kamasutra.
Also, also, also: Ivy has to be able to understand all languages, since she's the repository of _human_ knowledge. All of humanity. Not just the English speaking population.

Case and point:
"I know everything about you, Lartessa," Ivy said, her tone flat, passionless. "It was all recorded, of course. Everything was, in Thessaloniki in those days. Your father's failing business. Your sale to the temple of Isis. If you like, I could draw you a cost-benefit analysis of your training versus your earnings in your first year at the temple, before Nicodemus came. I could use charts to make it easier for you to understand. And color them in with crayons. I enjoy crayons."

Thessaloniki is in Greece. While they do speak some English there nowadays, they most definitely didn't do so 2000 years ago. And I'm quite certain that they didn't write their documents in English.

Bonus points for temple of Isis/Inana/Ishtar. There was a yearly tradition: Prostitution for charity. Every female member of the church if Ishtar had to undergo this _once_ in her life and be a prostitute for whatever money got offered. This money would go to charity then. If they didn't get picked, they had to participate again and again, until they got picked.
... hear me roar ;)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:42 AM »
Ivy is, what, sixteen now?

Close! 8) :D

She's eighteen, according to some wonderfully compiled extrapolation by smarter people than I: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?topic=1592.0
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »
I think that the internet could be what starts the disaster of the three book trilogy.....remember when something gets on the internet it is impossible  to get rid of. imagine one of the books about worship of an elder good were put on the internet.  according to how the oblivion war works the more people who know about the elder god the more powerful it is and the easier time it has showing up on are plane of existence. now imagine IVY  trying to fight an elder god that has been connected to an internet meme.

I don't think the final trilogy will start that way, because the Oblivion War is something that has occurred and is continuing in the background of larger Dresdenverse, but if the Dresden Files was about the Oblivion War your idea is a pretty good one.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »
Jim has said, though I haven't seen it yet, that Faith will be involved in the kick-off of the BAT
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---