Author Topic: Magical Architect  (Read 6345 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Magical Architect
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
Ok You are Harry Dresden and you are going to spend 200K on a brand new house for yourself.   You picked a prime location that is at the convergence of three helpful ley lines, away from innocent bystanders most times, in a part of Chicago that is easily accessible and covers a half acre lot (so plenty of room, but not ridiculous like the Marcone or White court mansions).   There is already a long occupied house on the lot that can be heavily remodeled, but still retain "most" of the threshold benefit that the house had accumulated.    (ie - location is nearly perfect). 

What are the key elements of the design?   Assume you are Dresden's architect and are designing him the right house. 

Obvious Bits
1) The house will be built of thick stone or similar sturdy material that is not flammable.
2) Doors will be heavily reinforced security type doors - although not obviously so
3) Good wood burning stoves provide central heat and/or the basics of a stove/oven in the kitchen
4) Good spacious underground basement for the laboratory
5) The lot will be surrounded by a 5' tall brick or stone wall that will (slightly) slow down attackers, keep out ghosts, and give some degree of privacy so neighbors are not easily annoyed by the zombies attacking
6) the place will look like a residence, not a fortress. 
7) multiple guest rooms
8) Big freezer to hold the pizza

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Architect
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »

All of the above,  but 200 K will only buy him a modest house at best these days..

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
Ok You are Harry Dresden and you are going to spend 200K on a brand new house for yourself.   You picked a prime location that is at the convergence of three helpful ley lines, away from innocent bystanders most times, in a part of Chicago that is easily accessible and covers a half acre lot (so plenty of room, but not ridiculous like the Marcone or White court mansions).   There is already a long occupied house on the lot that can be heavily remodeled, but still retain "most" of the threshold benefit that the house had accumulated.    (ie - location is nearly perfect). 

What are the key elements of the design?   Assume you are Dresden's architect and are designing him the right house. 

Obvious Bits
1) The house will be built of thick stone or similar sturdy material that is not flammable.
2) Doors will be heavily reinforced security type doors - although not obviously so
3) Good wood burning stoves provide central heat and/or the basics of a stove/oven in the kitchen
4) Good spacious underground basement for the laboratory
5) The lot will be surrounded by a 5' tall brick or stone wall that will (slightly) slow down attackers, keep out ghosts, and give some degree of privacy so neighbors are not easily annoyed by the zombies attacking
6) the place will look like a residence, not a fortress. 
7) multiple guest rooms
8) Big freezer to hold the pizza

His 200K is gone the moment he files his taxes, so I'm going to assume a reasonable, middle-class-budget accommodations based on the sale of an existing house.

1. Base the overall design of the house and its feng shui on Mac's place so that maybe, just maybe, Dresden can keep a water heater and working lights.
2. That wall around the house should be a circle, for obvious reasons.
3. A sprinkler system that is hooked up to a tank of holy water (for Black Court vampires).
4. A garage, hopefully, so that he can stick the Beetle somewhere aside from on the street, where it seems to get messed up frequently.
5. This probably goes without saying, but a big swing set, with monkey bars, one of those wooden fort things, and all of the assorted equipment for Maggie.
6. Mouse-sized doggy doors.
7. Bunk beds.
8. This wouldn't necessarily cost money, but Dresden should spend some time scrolling the walls with the right runes so that Bonnie can effectively use the house as her skull. Instant Smart House, literally.
9. A really, really, really, really good fire suppression system.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
My assumption is that he already has the lot.  So the 200K is just his budget to build his dream house.   That goes a lot farther, but you are right it is not going to be some luxury mansion.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:15 PM »
After his disdain for Rudolph's home, I don't see Harry as the home-owner.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:23 AM »
This is Harry.  He's going to take that $200K and blow it all on magical components or parts for a miniature Chicago, or on Star Wars memerobilia.  Then he's going to find some poor unsuspecting saps that are renting out a basement apartment and fill it with as much secondhand furniture as he can get.  Because protection be damned, he's not going to live somewhere unless it feels like home.

His 200K is gone the moment he files his taxes, so I'm going to assume a reasonable, middle-class-budget accommodations based on the sale of an existing house.
The man hasn't had a drop of reported income since his office exploded, and he's got dozens of teeny tiny pizza-devouring dependents.  What taxes?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
This is Harry.  He's going to take that $200K and blow it all on magical components or parts for a miniature Chicago, or on Star Wars memerobilia.  Then he's going to find some poor unsuspecting saps that are renting out a basement apartment and fill it with as much secondhand furniture as he can get.  Because protection be damned, he's not going to live somewhere unless it feels like home.
The man hasn't had a drop of reported income since his office exploded, and he's got dozens of teeny tiny pizza-devouring dependents.  What taxes?

Yeah, he has proven that he needs little to be comfortable, give him plenty of paperbacks for reading, a place furnished in early Salvation Army accented with Good Will and modern yard sale and he is happy.... However he will not spare expense on a decent lab for himself... Remember when he did get a little wind fall from becoming a Warden the first thing he did was upgrade his summoning circle..   I also hope he gets a bed that fits his six foot nine frame... Like the hot water issue, having a son almost that tall I've wondered how he could be comfortable in a twin bed...

Offline Anubissama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
A room for Maggie, equipped with a more permanent version of the Faraday Cage runs like he did on his hidey-hole in "Turn Coat" so that Maggie can have electronics in her room. That's until her own powers start to manifest.
DV Anubissama V1.2 YR5 FR(M) 3 BK++++: RP++++: JB+: TH+++: WG: CL++: SW +(-): BC+: MC+++: SH(Molly)+++++:

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
Okay, I didn't read the thread, but ...

Harry needs a basement lab.  I realize that Chicago is a swamp, but he still needs to be underground for much of his experimentation, and that of (eventually) Maggie's.

Also, the location needs to be on a bus line.  Just saying.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »
I think he'll just sub-lease Molly's place.  As Winter Lady, she's not going to be there much...  it has a 2nd room for Maggie, all he'll still need is a lab.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
I think he'll just sub-lease Molly's place.  As Winter Lady, she's not going to be there much...  it has a 2nd room for Maggie, all he'll still need is a lab.

I was thinking the same thing, though that may be a bit too close to Michael for Harry's comfort.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, though that may be a bit too close to Michael for Harry's comfort.
? not sure why that would be an issue?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
Okay, I didn't read the thread, but ...

Harry needs a basement lab.  I realize that Chicago is a swamp, but he still needs to be underground for much of his experimentation, and that of (eventually) Maggie's.

Also, the location needs to be on a bus line.  Just saying.

The lab doesn't need to be in a basement..  But he does need a lab that can be secured.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
The lab doesn't need to be in a basement..  But he does need a lab that can be secured.

No, it doesn't, but if it is, it is safer.  All that earth surrounding you is a great insulator.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
I thought that there was a recent WOJ in which it was pretty much explicitly stated that at the time of PT, Harry will be living in Molly's apartment, who won't be there most of the time.  I'd have to look around, but I thought it was earlier this year.