Author Topic: Hierarchy of the Courts  (Read 12125 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Hierarchy of the Courts
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
And you don't think that was in an of itself a balance of exchanges? In Small Favour Mab sends Harry into battle Uriel sends the Knights of the Cross. That's an equal balance if I ever heard one.
Balancing forces imply opposition.  Two unrelated bullets fired at the same target do nothing to balance each other. 

Ghost Story the Favour was Uriel keeping Harry Soul Alive in Purgatory While Mab kept his body alive. Again both of their causes had been compromised by Harry's death.
That was not cooperation, Mab specifically stated that it pissed her right off that Uriel risked Harry that way.  And ultimately Uriel's goal was to prevent Mab from sinking her hooks into Harry too much.  This is not cooperation, it is competition.

Skin Game a repayment against the Denarians for their actions in both Small Favour and Skin Game in defeating their mutual enemy, all the while Mab gained power in WMD's of the Vault and Uriel got the chance to save multiple Souls through the actions of humanities Free Will. Including potentially Harry's.

Think of what Mac said to Mab "May your scales always return to Balance" "Flatterer"

All of those instances are about scales of balancing actions that have equal actions.

Plus I thought there was a WOJ about Skin Game being Mab clearing her ledger of favours and debts, which implied her favours and debts to Nicodemus, Uriel, Marcone and Hades. But I can't seem to find it and this hasn't been my day of misquoting hearsay WOJ's, so I won't use it in this argument.
It was stated right in the books that it was about balacing debts, but nothing that I know of points to anything involving Uriel owing or being owed any debts.  The debts discussed were specifically Nic (both what she owed from way back and the vengeance from SmF) and Marcone (ie the SmF stuff), and to a lesser extent the skull for Bob and the diammonds as wereguild.  With Hades, Harry surmised that Hades was complicit in the whole escapade by being Marcone's first "investor", but nothing about debt, I figured part of his Armory role is to facilitate the occasional audition.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
We also know that Lord Marshall Talon had to obey Summer Lady Aurora even when she was directly working against her own Court.

I don't think that is an accurate description. Lord Marshall Talos was incapable of believing Aurora was working directly against her own Court because it is impossible for the Lady to do so. Telling him that Aurora was crazy and working against Summer would be like telling him 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4.  The problem with Lord Talos was that he either doesn't know about Nemesis' existence, doesn't understand how it can affect the Lady (allowing her to do impossible things), or that he is so shortsighted and pigheaded that he never considered/believed that Aurora was infected. If Talos understood what was wrong with Aurora, his allegiance to Summer would have trumped his allegiance to her.

Personally, I think it is the first, Nemesis is a secret even among the Fae.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
I think nemesis is a secret and not sure why.

Sure if they started letting everyone know about it, Nemesis would go into hiding, but that would not be bad.  It would make it harder for N to do it's job.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
I think nemesis is a secret and not sure why.

Sure if they started letting everyone know about it, Nemesis would go into hiding, but that would not be bad.  It would make it harder for N to do it's job.
For the same reasons the Black Council is being kept a Secret:  they are afriad they'd get a rash of deserters who want to switch to the super-powerful side that can give them Super-Powers like Lying!  IF a Lady could be swayed, your average fae mook would likely JUMP a the chance to Lie, or to be able to simply Accept a Gift, or maybe Quit their current Court.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
Who ever holds the table can use it to claim power, but I wonder if there is a way for the courts to share any taken power, or for it to go to the lands of faerie as a whole. I had an idea that both summer and winter could work together to take down the fomor, I particular bringing those entities of power they have to be sacrificed on the stone table. This was due to the fact the fomor are said to be part Sihde. The thing is from what we have seen only the court currently claiming the table gets any added power. So for any partnership to work, the power has to shared so there has to be a way.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
Who ever holds the table can use it to claim power, but I wonder if there is a way for the courts to share any taken power, or for it to go to the lands of faerie as a whole. I had an idea that both summer and winter could work together to take down the fomor, I particular bringing those entities of power they have to be sacrificed on the stone table. This was due to the fact the fomor are said to be part Sihde. The thing is from what we have seen only the court currently claiming the table gets any added power. So for any partnership to work, the power has to shared so there has to be a way.
I dont /think/ so?  The Wyldfae are a huge population compared to the seasonally aligned fae, and per WOJ the seasonal Courts operate more by political consensus within independent wyldfae interests when operating in  the Southern Hemisphere, as compared to their more absolute rulership in the north.  Given that I dont know that they have the sort of thaumaturgic access Id expect for them to be able to distribute Power uniformly. 

As an alternative, the Power doesnt have to be /Shared/ persay, the final balance of power simply needs to equalize out.  So if one Court gets a boatload of Power as a result of the partnership, the terms of the partnership could require a gift from one side to the other to redress the Balance.  More or less just like Lea and Mab with the whole Athame vs Harry's Debt; the Athame upset the balance of Power (akin to any claimed Fomor Power) so the other interest (mab) was able to demand some other concession that was bargained to be equivalent. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
The stone table is a place of power for the courts, I wonder if there might be a location key for the lands of faerie as a whole.. So instead of sustaining the courts, the added power goes into faerie which sustains the courts.
k moinuddin

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:18 AM »
The stone table is a place of power for the courts, I wonder if there might be a location key for the lands of faerie as a whole.. So instead of sustaining the courts, the added power goes into faerie which sustains the courts.
Ireland somewhere i'd think? Something like Stonehenge to compare to say, chicken pizza. An earthly sanctum for the Courts themselves?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:54:17 AM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
Cold Days, Harry specifically uses the term "The Adversary" because that's the safe term to use because use of the name Nemesis can risk attracting it's attention.

I dont /think/ so?  The Wyldfae are a huge population compared to the seasonally aligned fae, and per WOJ the seasonal Courts operate more by political consensus within independent wyldfae interests when operating in  the Southern Hemisphere, as compared to their more absolute rulership in the north.  Given that I dont know that they have the sort of thaumaturgic access Id expect for them to be able to distribute Power uniformly. 

As an alternative, the Power doesnt have to be /Shared/ persay, the final balance of power simply needs to equalize out.  So if one Court gets a boatload of Power as a result of the partnership, the terms of the partnership could require a gift from one side to the other to redress the Balance.  More or less just like Lea and Mab with the whole Athame vs Harry's Debt; the Athame upset the balance of Power (akin to any claimed Fomor Power) so the other interest (mab) was able to demand some other concession that was bargained to be equivalent. 

Makes sense, ugh *bloody Proven Guilty* Fix in Proven Guilty speculates that the reason Mab isn't moving against the Red Court is because of the imbalance of her Knight being tied up at the moment *ba dum ching* which is why her forces are allayed against Summer's Borders.

I wonder if because Mab has gotten Harry and by extension all of his allies, including Molly theirs another imbalance in the forces of Summer and Winter.

An experienced wizard warrior verses Fix and Molly his trained apprentice verses Sarissa whose Mab's daughter. Seems pretty imbalanced to me.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:33 PM »

But there is no balance between the courts.  We KNOW this.  There is balance between the queens, but not the courts.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
But there is no balance between the courts.  We KNOW this.  There is balance between the queens, but not the courts.
Can you tell me where you learned this?
I was thinking, since the queens ARE the courts they balance each other pretty well(SK when Harry actually sight gazes the queens)
And I can't remember the precise reply but there should be a woj on this in existence asking if EG is Lea's opposite and Jim saying something to the effect that it's not a role for role balance inside the courts but more of a... something? Cumulative effect?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
I was thinking, since the queens ARE the courts they balance each other pretty well(SK when Harry actually sight gazes the queens)
And I can't remember the precise reply but there should be a woj on this in existence asking if EG is Lea's opposite and Jim saying something to the effect that it's not a role for role balance inside the courts but more of a... something? Cumulative effect?
Mother Summer more or less outright states it in Cold Days. Mab can beat Summer any day she likes, provided she's willing to forfeit reality and see herself dragged down by Titania.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »

No, the Queens are the Queens and they do balance one another out.  But the courts are another matter.

As to where we learned about the imbalance ... at the outer gates.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
The mothers seat of power, their cottage, they both live there in unity. The other queens each have their own locations. So it is possible this would be a good location for inter court co operation and sharing of power and responsibility.
k moinuddin

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »
No, the Queens are the Queens and they do balance one another out.  But the courts are another matter.

As to where we learned about the imbalance ... at the outer gates.
The outer gates down count toward the balance(iirc correctly, there were summer troops up there too, as medics)When the queens summon the full extent of their power it calls out to all the fae even those unaligned directly. I calls to them as part of their power.
and end the end, the board will be equally divided.

It's also directly states in SK that summer has had the edge recently, which isn't possible including the OG's forces. An another proof they aren't part of it, in PG Harry releasing Summer Fire into winter's wellspring would have emptied the wall of defenders, that we know of it did not. or else they coulda rushed the wall then and there.
Mother Summer more or less outright states it in Cold Days. Mab can beat Summer any day she likes, provided she's willing to forfeit reality and see herself dragged down by Titania.
Doesn't say anything about the courts it says
'...Mab's troops outnumber yours by a jillion
So they are hers but that doesn't actually make them part of the court.[/b] Like the Marines and Navy seals are both American forces, but not of the same division. The Royal troops aren't part of the galaxy defense forces.