Author Topic: Hot water  (Read 16216 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Hot water
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 04:00:31 AM »
Seriously no hot water? A gas fired water heater with pilot light has one moving part and much simpler in design then Harry's revolver and older in design then that air cooled four banger he drove around in.
Second. Why not pipe hot water from a heater out side of his anti-mech magic range? I would add more but the illogic Butcher writes into the dresdenuniverse is astounding.

Again it has been a debate here for years.... It never has made any sense, in Chicago in the wintertime miserable... But what of his guests or Thomas who lived with him for a year?  Cannot see him taking blue ball showers...  :o I've tried cold showers in the middle of the heat and humidity of Arkansas summers when super grungy and sweaty and still preferred tepid to icy... ::)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
I might add that Harry has cold showers and a basement home as a form of self-punishment and penance to humility for the wrongs that he believes he has done or might do.

I've heard this before, and I don't like it.  I personally think it's more about economics and stability than self-punishment.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
Jim has addressed the first point: A wizard only has so much power to invest in their magical gizmos. At this point, Harry is rocking things like his staff, jacket, shield bracelet, and blasting rod (essential tools for amping up his wizardry) and so does not have the magical umph to spare.

Additionally, as OP as those potions were, they nearly got him killed, and are one-use only.

On the healing magic front: It is -incredibly- difficult. Listens To Wind has built his life around it, and even he cannot cure everything. Harry, who has less experience and less innate talent for slow, low watt magic, is unlikely to do anything meaningful with it.

Water Magic: Maybe you missed it, but Harry has been throwing around an awful lot of ice lately. Ice isn't, inherently, water magic, but Harry is still working within that realm.

I'm going to be a bit snarky here:
Healing magic: So Billy and the WerewolvesTM can learn to bend their shape-shifting abilities to heal wounds [ Side Jobs: Aftermath ], but Injun Joe has built his whole life around it... nah, shoe don't fit.

Potions: Removal of the potions is simply a literary device. No sane person would abandon a possible tactical advantage like that even if it was only the escape potion used in Storm Front by Harry and Susan and in Skin Game by Butters. But this way Harry actually gets his face kicked smashed and his ribs kicked in more often. Plain and simple.

Cold showers: Well... it's not like Harry _doesn't_have_ a water heater. It's just he "unhooked it". So Whenever Thomas or some lady-friend feel like a warm shower, the heater gets turned on. Pun intended. It's just not mentioned, because it's a long-running gag.

As far as Water magic goes, I'd say it has a lot to do with temperament. Ice and Fire [ The song of ] are fierce and cause harm. Water is... well, subtle, flows into small crevices, adapts it's shape, erodes things slowly. Somehow, that doesn't sound like Dresden to me. Even his Wind magic are insane gales and only after teaching Molly he stumbled upon a gentle application of wind magic... which he then uses to _clean_off_snow_. Sounds very gentle to me. Like a right hook is gentler because the other guy is wearing gloves.

Gizmos: The whole point in making those gizmos is so that they have magic stored up. The magic doesn't get permanently locked away, it get's regenerated when Harry eats, sleeps, rests properly. Remember Little Chicago? But if Harry actually would stick to the first rule about being a wizard; "To be prepared." we'd see him get kicked around a lot less. And while we pity him every time he gets beaten, stabbed, shot, burned, ... we still love the books because he gets beaten up and then gets up and keeps on fighting. Then, once fight isn't necessary he can fall over and get treated. For example: Take his silver bear charm from Blood rites paired with his Shield bracelet. Instead of channeling the magic through Harry simply create a connection between these two and the fights get a lot less exciting, because now Harry can create a barrier without straining himself too much while he casts some super-nuking spell. Yes, this is how a mage normally would operate [ well this or bringing a tank ], but it would soften the action scenes and make them less tense.
... hear me roar ;)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:29 PM »
I've heard this before, and I don't like it.  I personally think it's more about economics and stability than self-punishment.
I, respectfully, disagree. I think some form of self-punishment is a part of Harry's mentality.  He is very willing to take many forms of pain and suffering in the hopes that the good he tries to accomplish will keep him from doing the bad. The beginning of SK, while carrying the guilt over Susan's half-turned status, is an excellent example of this level of self-torment.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline circe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
I wanna say BK8?

No, it's from Proven Guilty

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
I, respectfully, disagree. I think some form of self-punishment is a part of Harry's mentality.  He is very willing to take many forms of pain and suffering in the hopes that the good he tries to accomplish will keep him from doing the bad. The beginning of SK, while carrying the guilt over Susan's half-turned status, is an excellent example of this level of self-torment.

He needs a therapist... ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
He needs a therapist... ::)
His personal therapist is working for Summer now.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 03:13:18 AM »
No. The two are nothing alike. That was depression and guilt over a specific event. That's not the same as physically torturing himself daily for the last 15ish years of his life over subconcious self loathing. When people lose a loved one they fall apart for a while. But people do not self flagellate to that degree as  unacknowledged punishment. Harry has cold showers because water heaters being fragile is funny. That's pretty much it.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »
Problem solved

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
Problem solved

You do know how to cook a frog, right?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
You do know how to cook a frog, right?

lol of course, but lots of people use fire to heat water in this fashion, especially in the past.  I see it as something viable for Harry to enjoy the bath instead of a cold shower.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
I could not agree more.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Wouldn't the water running through the water heater ground out the magic anyway? If he left it on, there's no problem.

Or, you know, get one of those tankless setups. No tank to explode, no potential carbon monoxide, and you can have the thing far away.

Or, why not just install a circle around a water heater?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »
Wouldn't the water running through the water heater ground out the magic anyway? If he left it on, there's no problem.

Or, you know, get one of those tankless setups. No tank to explode, no potential carbon monoxide, and you can have the thing far away.

Or, why not just install a circle around a water heater?

Yes.  However, the effects of heating the water would last until the heat leaked out like normal.  Think of Harry using fire magic. The spell might get grounded out, but the fires that he set with them would continue.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
Yes.  However, the effects of heating the water would last until the heat leaked out like normal.  Think of Harry using fire magic. The spell might get grounded out, but the fires that he set with them would continue.

I meant a regular water heater, with no magic. His reasoning for not having one is that there's ambient magic all the time, so why not just put a permanent circle around a standard water heater to keep the ambient magic out, like Butters did with the GPS in Dead Beat?