Author Topic: Hot water  (Read 16243 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hot water
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »

I seem to remember Harry has been beat up yet again and takes a shower and finds the water wonderfully warm and soothing.  This surprises the heck our of him until Lasciel's shadow tells him the water is still cold be she is making him feel it as warm or something like that..  I cannot place book to scene though,  ???
I wanna say BK8?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
   I seem to remember Harry has been beat up yet again and takes a shower and finds the water wonderfully warm and soothing.  This surprises the heck our of him until Lasciel's shadow tells him the water is still cold be she is making him feel it as warm or something like that..  I cannot place book to scene though,  ???
I wanna say BK8?
Pretty sure it was White Knight.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
I wanna say BK8?

Pretty sure it was White Knight.
PG ch 15, not long after one of the relationship talks with Murphy.  She took the "cold shower" as a compliment on her sex appeal. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
PG ch 15, not long after one of the relationship talks with Murphy.  She took the "cold shower" as a compliment on her sex appeal.

I thought he was talking about the scene where Harry was taking a shower, complaining about how cold it was, and Lash made him think it was all hot and steamy. She was even massaging his neck and shoulders.  Harry told her to leave, but leave the hot water, which turned immediately icy when he shut the shower off.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 08:57:11 PM »
I thought he was talking about the scene where Harry was taking a shower, complaining about how cold it was, and Lash made him think it was all hot and steamy. She was even massaging his neck and shoulders.  Harry told her to leave, but leave the hot water, which turned immediately icy when he shut the shower off.
That's the one.  Immediately before the shower Murphy dropped him off after a relationship talk, and immediately after the shower Murphy picked him up outside his appartment, where she commented on him having Blue Lips.  He responded with "Long Shower", the blue lips implied it was a Cold Shower (though as you say Lash made it feel otherwise) and she surmised that Harry was doing the stereotypical Cold Shower to combat sexual frustration (seriously, who does that to themselves?  Always seems like a culturally reinforced masochism to me).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
That's the one.  Immediately before the shower Murphy dropped him off after a relationship talk, and immediately after the shower Murphy picked him up outside his appartment, where she commented on him having Blue Lips.  He responded with "Long Shower", the blue lips implied it was a Cold Shower (though as you say Lash made it feel otherwise) and she surmised that Harry was doing the stereotypical Cold Shower to combat sexual frustration (seriously, who does that to themselves?  Always seems like a culturally reinforced masochism to me).

I have to admit, I tried it once.  Doesn't work.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 07:04:39 PM »
I have to admit, I tried it once.  Doesn't work.
It wasn't cold enough then...? The idea, as perhaps best explained in the Senfield episode where George was in the 'cold' pool. Our little soldiers tend to run and hide.
I do the impossibly torturous in the name of loosening my muscles, Hot to cold, cold to hot, rinse and repeat to break up carbon dioxide in the muscles. It's like putting icy hot all over your body lol. It sucks but afterwards I'm loose and limber(helps with my bad back) an certainly not anything like in the mood.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
Oh, it was cold enough for all that.  But my mind wasn't distracted NEARLY enough.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »
Oh, it was cold enough for all that.  But my mind wasn't distracted NEARLY enough.

Eat a ghost chili...  Your mind won't be able to think about anything other than your mouth being on fire and you wanting it to end lol
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline JJJP

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
Seriously no hot water? A gas fired water heater with pilot light has one moving part and much simpler in design then Harry's revolver and older in design then that air cooled four banger he drove around in.
Second. Why not pipe hot water from a heater out side of his anti-mech magic range? I would add more but the illogic Butcher writes into the dresdenuniverse is astounding.

Offline newfan09

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
Is this much of an issue now that Harry is the Winter Knight?

It might not cross his mind, but this has to be addressed now that Maggie is living with him.
It might be nice to have brain damage. I already liked Jell-O.

Mo' magic, Mo' problems. -Jim Butcher

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
Seriously no hot water? A gas fired water heater with pilot light has one moving part and much simpler in design then Harry's revolver and older in design then that air cooled four banger he drove around in.
Second. Why not pipe hot water from a heater out side of his anti-mech magic range? I would add more but the illogic Butcher writes into the dresdenuniverse is astounding.
Gas heaters are pretty dangerous if they fail wrong. Simple or no, they can boom. And it isn't like the beatle was reliable. So there's that. As for piping in water, that's expensive. Especially in a bigger city.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
Actually, this has been discussed a bunch.  A simple barrel suspended over his fireplace, or his cooking grate would heat water piped into it, and a simple valve would deliver it to his shower.  Heat rises, and gravity pulls the water. 

It would take a little bit of planning on his part, but not really all that difficult with his existing set up.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
Several things in play here
1) Harry has a thing about not using magic to improve his quality of life or earn income (beyond as detective).  So using magic to heat water is a no-go.   And as people have stated, magically heating water might require a fair bit of magic and Harry would not want to waste magic on this.  It would really be bad news if Harry was attacked fresh out of the shower and starts the battle already magically fatigued from heating the water. 
    a) the possibility of having Molly heat the water as a "training exercise" would be just to indulgent.   

2) There are many non-magical ways to heat water that range from a gas water heater to storing water in a metal container over a fireplace or even a solar heater on the roof using mirrors.   None of these have been used. 
    a) Partly this might be money -- which Dresden rarely has
    b) Partly this might be the affect of magic.  Magic clearly effects mechanical devices as well as electrical ones, although less often.  But this seems a lame excuse as there are many options which are perfectly safe even if a bit glitch. 
    c) mostly this seems to be that Harry does not care about such things very much so he does not spend the effort to make it work. 

The real question is -- not that Harry has money -- does he spend some of this on basic comforts like a useful water heater or some more effective way of heating his house - when he gets a house.   

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:46 AM »
I might add that Harry has cold showers and a basement home as a form of self-punishment and penance to humility for the wrongs that he believes he has done or might do.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?