Author Topic: Faith's importance spoilers  (Read 13222 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Faith's importance spoilers
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:11 AM »
She can be under the influence of another power, but I don't want her to be Kumori.. Let Kumori be Kumori and Cowl be Cowl.

We already know Kumori and Cowl aren't just Kumori and Cowl. WOJ Dresden know's Kumori. Though I don't think it's Faith cause Dresden wouldn't be too devastated by that news and because Kumori was in Grave Peril which would have made Faith 14 or 15 at the time she was working with the enemies of the Man who saved her life and introduced her to magic.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »
Running with the fact that Apocalypse=Revelation, what if the issue is that an otherwise unsupervised Faith has become a practitioner, but run afoul of the "official" government anti-magic forces, the Librarians.  Thus pitting Harry against the US Government in a wildly escalating confrontation that ends with battleships...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ViperMagnum357

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »
Based on the timeline, Faith Astor would have been around 19 during Grave Peril, which is plenty of time to complete an apprenticeship or come close enough to accompany a master to a formal event. And yes it would hurt Harry, thanks to his overdeveloped sense of responsibility. His saving Faith also exposed her to the world of magic, and if she is Kumori that means that a Wizard level talent, one he had encountered personally, developed under his nose, in his town, then either followed a similar path to Molly-exploring her powers on her own instead of approaching him, then falling in with the wrong crowd-or was discovered and cultivated by dark powers and he never tripped to it. Either way, Harry would view it as a personal failure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:12:38 PM by ViperMagnum357 »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »
Based on the timeline, Faith Astor would have been around 19 during Grave Peril, which is plenty of time to complete an apprenticeship or come close enough to accompany a master to a formal event. And yes it would hurt Harry, thanks to his overdeveloped sense of responsibility. His saving Faith also exposed her to the world of magic, and if she is Kumori that means that a Wizard level talent, one he had encountered personally, developed under his nose, in his town, then either followed a similar path to Molly-exploring her powers on her own instead of approaching him, then falling in with the wrong crowd-or was discovered and cultivated by dark powers and he never tripped to it. Either way, Harry would view it as a personal failure.
13-14 as of Grave Peril; 15 max.  She was born 12-13 years before Storm Front, and GP was a little over a year after that.  Old enough to manifest magic and be an apprentice, but probably not old enough to have finished enough of her full growth to seem like an adult in robes.  But I could be wrong, kids are maturing faster and faster these days (something about hormones in the food supply?)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »
Don't forget that it looks like Cowl might have his own demesene in the never-never.  Time may pass there more quickly than in Chicago.  Therefore, if Faith is Kumori, she could easily be more years old than her driver's license would say.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
Don't forget that it looks like Cowl might have his own demesene in the never-never.  Time may pass there more quickly than in Chicago.  Therefore, if Faith is Kumori, she could easily be more years old than her driver's license would say.
That's true, but a rabbit hole Im not willing to indulge just yet, as it yields a suspect pool that is too large to be useful.  At that point Kumori can be older or younger than normal Time would indicate, meaning she can be nearly anyone Past or Present. She could be Joan of Arc as easily as she could be Faith or a Murphy or Carpenter or almost anyone you could name. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
That's true, but a rabbit hole Im not willing to indulge just yet, as it yields a suspect pool that is too large to be useful.  At that point Kumori can be older or younger than normal Time would indicate, meaning she can be nearly anyone Past or Present. She could be Joan of Arc as easily as she could be Faith or a Murphy or Carpenter or almost anyone you could name.

No, because, IIRC, per WOJ, Harry knows Kumori.  Pretty sure Harry doesn't know Joan.  :)
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
No, because, IIRC, per WOJ, Harry knows Kumori.  Pretty sure Harry doesn't know Joan.  :)
Ah, well that's news to me but that would certainly limit the suspect pool dramatically.  The only data points I knew of was confirmation that Kumori was not Murphy (based on height and aura), that Kumori has the aura of a fellow heavyweight practitioner.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
Just speculating, but by DB, I put Kumori as a warden-level person between the age of 30 to 100 and I put Cowl as a SC-level person well over the age of 100.  How this applies to Faith, I am uncertain.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:58 AM »
WOJ Dresden know's Kumori.

Link please?
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 05:12:47 AM »
Damn I was sure there was a WOJ on it somewhere but it might just be hearsay I've heard somewhere. Serack might be able to find it if it does exist, but I've been Ctrl Finding various written woj and cowl and kumori threads for the past half hour and can't find it.

Sorry guys.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
Just speculating, but by DB, I put Kumori as a warden-level person between the age of 30 to 100 and I put Cowl as a SC-level person well over the age of 100.  How this applies to Faith, I am uncertain.
That's what I thought too for a long time and I suppose it's also Harry's conclusion. But it's not necessarily true. Kumori could be a lot younger than we think. The only serious bit of magic we know she performed was the resurrection of that gangster. And we don't know how demanding or complicated that actually was. I suppose that assumption about Kumori's age and competence stemmed from Cowl's generally snobbish attitude, we don't think he'd bother with someone who isn't able to lift heavy weight yet. The thing is though that someone already established might not be as malleable as a real apprentice. And they could think about how it is not right that they're not being treated as an equal or even harbor ambitions to replace the boss.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
I always put Kumori's talent on being on level with what Molly's would have been if she had been in Dead Beat like she was meant to be.

Proven Guilty was supposed to be first. The thematic storylines are all messed up because Molly isn't in it, but then again we wouldn't have Ramirez if she had been, or atleast not as such a prominent character.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
WOJ described Kumori in DB as having an aura that is an "utterly obvious one of a fellow heavyweight" so Im confident she's Council Level, and reasonably placed in the Power department, if not necessarily the bruiser Harry is. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
WOJ described Kumori in DB as having an aura that is an "utterly obvious one of a fellow heavyweight" so Im confident she's Council Level, and reasonably placed in the Power department, if not necessarily the bruiser Harry is. 

And don't forget that Molly is actually stronger than Harry in some ways. 

She doesn't have the brute force that Harry does, but she can get things done where Harry couldn't.