Author Topic: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)  (Read 72744 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)
« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
True, but Harry might still die. Saving a life is more important than punishing the evildoers. You might hurt Nick by taking the coin, but chances are good you'll suffer casualties as well. Following the code of the knights, not taking the coin should be the right choice.

It is always a possibility that you'd take casualties.... There was no guarantee that Harry wouldn't have died anyway if she had succeeded in killing Nic..  Geno could of just crushed his skull out of spite with Nic's death.  At that point supposedly the agreement with Mab was violated and that is why Nic ordered Harry killed.  However it was all a ruse to get a Sword broken.   No, according to the code of the Knights taking the coin is always the right choice, because without that influence the host can now chose to seek redemption which is what the Knights and the Swords is all about.   It isn't about hurting Nic by taking the coin, it is about giving him a chance for redemption..   

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
It's just as much a ruse to break a sword as it is Harry trying to help Nic by giving chase to Butters.

Which is to say not at all.

I mean, if you're basing this whole thing on what Nic says, why do you constantly ignore the first part of his statement where he explicitly compares what he did with what Harry did as an explanation for why he won't get eviscerated by Mab for it?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 01, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
It's just as much a ruse to break a sword as it is Harry trying to help Nic by giving chase to Butters.

Which is to say not at all.

I mean, if you're basing this whole thing on what Nic says, why do you constantly ignore the first part of his statement where he explicitly compares what he did with what Harry did as an explanation for why he won't get eviscerated by Mab for it?

No, I am going with Nic's stated mission since Small Favor, the reason Harry first dangled Fid in the first place to trade for Ivy and Marcone.  The whole reason Harry dangled the Sword, he knew Nic wanted it to unmake it.. Duh...  Denarians want to break Holy Swords, they and the Knights that wield them are their enemy.. What is the one thing that strikes more terror in a Nicklehead than anything else?  A Holy Sword shining brightly in the hands of a Knight...  Nic isn't afraid of Michael without his Sword, but put Am in his hands and Nic shits his pants..

So Nic isn't lying he is bragging on how clever he was setting up Murphy and Harry with the unwitting aid of Butters to accomplish his goal..  He lies about a lot of things true, but not about this, breaking Swords is his goal, planning to accomplish that is his business, and this time out he won, if only for a little while.. At that point in time, Fid was shattered on the sidewalk, useless..

Your mistake is thinking since Nic lies, everything he says is a lie, however it is a lot more complicated than that...

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 01, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
Wow, so a lot about whether or not Nicodemus can lie.  Which obviously he can; he's a mortal.  It's slightly questionable whether Anduriel can lie or not, but Nicodemus isn't held back by the limitations.  The thing is, though, Nick probably just doesn't see the point in lying much; he's not ashamed of what he does, and he's very matter-of-fact about his actions.  He's the hero of his own story.  But he will certainly deceive others, and certainly lies throughout Skin Game.  Huangjimmy's already pointed out some of the best points, so I don't really need to do too much here.

Jimmy - I agree with pretty much everything on your second response to me (the one about profitability) except for this last bit.
Quote from: huangjimmy108
What matters to Karrin is this. If Karrin does not appear and wield fid, at that point, thus depriving Nick from his true target, would Nicodemous just sigh in regret and let Harry go free?

Obviously not. If murphy does not wield fid and thus granting Nick what he wants, he'll likely take out his fury on Harry. This is why I mention that fid's breaking becomes Harry's salvation. Either Nick's target is truly Harry, and Murphy wielding fid distracted him from his true target, or it gaves Nick his real target and allow Harry to escape calamity.
At the point where Karrin appears with Fid, Harry and Butters have basically given up on being able to escape Nicodemus' trap and have decided to fight them.  Everyone's preparing for a fight, and the second Dresden strikes, they all die.  If Karrin doesn't show up with Fid, then Nick gets personal revenge and Mab is obligated to replace him with a servant of equal competence - which she has.  Technically, Mab could offer Lea's services, and I think that Lea would have a pretty easy chance of getting through the gate of ice.

Also, I’ve been thinking more about the ‘pro forma quid pro quo’, and I don’t believe that it signifies that both Harry and Nicodemus broke the pact, and so therefore they cancel each other out.  Yes, quid pro quo does signify that one thing is being exchanged for another, but pro forma is a statement that something is done as a matter of form, or as an estimate. 

When the two latin phrases are put together and viewed in the context of the conversation, it seems that what Harry calls ‘pro-forma quid pro quo’ is the fiction that each of them are hiding behind.  Nicodemus wouldn’t really have betrayed Harry unless he killed him, and Harry wouldn’t really have betrayed Nicodemus unless he had actually ushered him off to Michael’s house in safety.  It is an exchange of an estimate of what would happen.  Otherwise, there's no need for 'pro forma' in the sentence if it just means 'quid pro quo'.

Besides, it’s Latin.  As Harry is far from an expert in Latin (dang correspondence course!) I wouldn’t take anything that he says in it as unassailable fact and interpret the scene from it.  Unless he also makes lately and needs him a new laundress as well.

On a slightly different topic, I’ve been thinking of the Genoskwa’s actions during this fight.  Nicodemus commands Gen to kill Harry and to make it hurt.  And Gen… just doesn’t take the opportunity.  Yes, it can be argued that maybe Gen was just enjoying torturing Harry too much.  But he’s made it perfectly clear that he would enjoy nothing more but killing him.  Why doesn’t Gen kill Harry when ordered to?

It’s clear that whatever thing that Nicodemus is attempting to achieve, that this heist is deadly critical to achieving that goal.  He would not sacrifice his daughter, the person that he loves and trusts more than anything in the world, in order to just get a new supernatural artifact that he just found out about.  If it’s critical enough to kill Deidre over, then I don’t think that there’s a chance – not a chance in hell – that Nicodemus would knowingly do anything that would rob him of the person he needs to get through the gate of ice.

Which means that Nicodemus wouldn’t put anything up to chance.  I don’t believe that he would chance killing Dresden unless it was completely obvious that he had betrayed him, simply because he doesn’t know for sure if the Queen of Tricksey Faeries has eyes on the situation or not.  That’s not something that Nicodemus would risk on a job so critical.  And by the same token, I don’t believe that he would give the command for the Genoskwa to kill Dresden unless he was absolutely certain that he would not.  Because if there’s any ambiguity about Dresden’s death, then the job is off.

So when the Genoskwa does not kill Harry, even though given ample time to and commanded to do so, this strikes me as very conspicuous.

I think it was more than likely that Nicodemus had a conversation with all of his hidden Denarians – that due to the circumstance of the bargain with Mab, none of them were allowed to kill him.  Period.  That makes the most sense; if Dresden is to die, Nicodemus would want to be in control so that he could not accidently lose the retainer from Winter that he was owed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:40:58 PM by DonBugen »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
I think he had a backup plan for Harry. Hannah with Lasciels help could handle a gate and the Genoskwa could handle the ice door thing.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
I think he had a backup plan for Harry. Hannah with Lasciels help could handle a gate and the Genoskwa could handle the ice door thing.

How do you think the Genoskwa would have handled the Gate of Ice?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »
How do you think the Genoskwa would have handled the Gate of Ice?
He did it reasonably well when wounded after his confrontation with Grey. He got killed because Harry added to his difficulties.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
But you have to remember that he'd already seen Harry do it.  On the way in, do you think the Genoskwa would have studied it first, or just figured it can't be that tough and bulled his way in, and got crushed by a couple of house sized boulders?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2017, 06:07:38 PM »
But you have to remember that he'd already seen Harry do it.  On the way in, do you think the Genoskwa would have studied it first, or just figured it can't be that tough and bulled his way in, and got crushed by a couple of house sized boulders?
The Genoskwa is many things but not stupid.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2017, 06:14:38 PM »
Plus, the other thing is that Harry did the ice run while running closer and closer to sub-antarctic temperatures. It's one thing to parkour! across a field full of monster rocks the size of buildings smashing everything in its wake. Quite another to do it while your body is convulsing with cold. On the return trip, they're running away from absolute zero.

According to general cryptozoology, I don't think that Gen would handle that very well going th other way. Maybe if he was a Yeti, but there's a difference between these cryptids.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Tessa sacrificing herself??? That is really more likely than Nic just lying? And if Nic knew Tessa was prepaired to sacrifice herself he would jump to it.
For her Daughter, not for him.
No it explained why Tessa shifted the blame to Michael, it is easier and the fallen wanted it.
Which doesn't address the fact she accepted what happened because she wanted the end result. You can't say she's suddenly that delusional from earlier actively trying to save her daughter. It's this tangent of other opinions that won't really prove anything btw. it's not on focus.
  Whatever they think those two are not really their own boss.one possibility is that Nicodemus just lied. The other possibility is that Tessa with a few ghouls wanted to take over Nicodemus operation, sacrifice herself in stead of her daughter and then somehow after her dead give the grail to her daughter without Nicodemus getting it from her. That means Tessa has to kill Nicodemus as well?
Blah? why is this even a thing when wanting it for yourself and willing to sacrifice for your daughter isn't the same as willing to help your rival husband or die on his terms. If your not gonna stick to at least 1st gen theorizing, which is to say the first leap in logic from a fact, i'm going to stop keeping to it as well. Have you SEEN my in depth theories!? Going off of sheer opinionated tangentals we'll never solve for x. I'll play the infinite game theory against you if I must.

Because otherwise she could just walk in and tell nicodemus she wanted to die in her daughters place.

It is difficult to prove that Nicodemus lied if one is prepared to take virtual impossible scenarios as more likely than Nicodemus just lying.
But in order to prove he's lying all you have to do is line up one complete action with one completely different set of statements. I gave you the easy job here. Considering you know, how many people claim he's a liar and all, you'd think something just concrete would come up with a 'blatant' liar, Except we're still here...

Because even if the scenario was true the chance that Nicodemus believed it was certainly zero.
Also Nicodemus did not really want it, he wanted the dagger. Which was proven by the fact that he stated that he wanted it as agreed upon by Kringle and Harry.
aye aye aye.... Which says nothing of the fact he does want the cup. He want's all the pieces, the dagger was just most important. Going back to my bk reference, not giving me the fires for my burger would not invalidate the burger itself.
Watch when she answers Harry in small favor about her motives. Compare that with Nicodemus in skin game.
If you insist on going off in tangents, explain them so their understandable by the context of the post please. This doesn't even show your logic it just says read to passages and i'll know it. Read 16 book, 100's of written woj's an video's and you'll get where i'm coming from. I don't really have to explain anything to anyone, cause it's all there for them to pick up themselves right? cool, that just won every disagreement i'll ever have on here :)
Mab is not really interested in the swords, the white god can handle his own stuff.
Non Germaine to the point being made.

And if Harry and Nicodemus agree on what happened then she has nothing to say about it, whether she believes it or not.
It wasn't agreed upon, and Harry monolgues what i'm talking about knowing she won't be able to pin anything on Nic untoward there based on his Lawyering of his intention. Which goes to show the lawyering matters far more then the actual intention. The intention was either or most likely.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:07:20 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
At the point where Karrin appears with Fid, Harry and Butters have basically given up on being able to escape Nicodemus' trap and have decided to fight them.  Everyone's preparing for a fight, and the second Dresden strikes, they all die.  If Karrin doesn't show up with Fid, then Nick gets personal revenge and Mab is obligated to replace him with a servant of equal competence - which she has.  Technically, Mab could offer Lea's services, and I think that Lea would have a pretty easy chance of getting through the gate of ice.

If Murphy wasn't there, or if Nic via Andriel didn't know she had the Sword... It wouldn't have happened at all.. If Murphy wasn't there Nic wouldn't have jeopardized the bargain in the first place... Harry could have chased Butters and I bet you a nickle that Nic wouldn't have done anything..  What's the point?  Butters was no threat to him, and he knew how Harry would react... Again speaks of a ruse/set up what ever you want to call it to get a Sword broken.
Also, I’ve been thinking more about the ‘pro forma quid pro quo’, and I don’t believe that it signifies that both Harry and Nicodemus broke the pact, and so therefore they cancel each other out.  Yes, quid pro quo does signify that one thing is being exchanged for another, but pro forma is a statement that something is done as a matter of form, or as an estimate. 

Which is exactly the conclusion that Harry comes to when it is over and Nic mocks him a bit about not being able to recognize a ruse when he saw one...  It is Harry's "oh shit he's right," moment...  Even Murphy getting severely hurt had no relevance to the deal.
On a slightly different topic, I’ve been thinking of the Genoskwa’s actions during this fight.  Nicodemus commands Gen to kill Harry and to make it hurt.  And Gen… just doesn’t take the opportunity.  Yes, it can be argued that maybe Gen was just enjoying torturing Harry too much.  But he’s made it perfectly clear that he would enjoy nothing more but killing him.  Why doesn’t Gen kill Harry when ordered to?

Because he wasn't, as Nic again smugly pointed out, if he had orders to kill, crushing Harry's skull would only take seconds...  The moment he could have killed Harry was when Harry finally realized what Nic was pulling and tried to warn Murphy not to try and kill Nic with the Sword after he surrenders..  But he didn't, he just held him in such a way that no sound came out..  Nic didn't want to break his deal with Mab, he was never going to kill Harry..
It’s clear that whatever thing that Nicodemus is attempting to achieve, that this heist is deadly critical to achieving that goal.  He would not sacrifice his daughter, the person that he loves and trusts more than anything in the world, in order to just get a new supernatural artifact that he just found out about.  If it’s critical enough to kill Deidre over, then I don’t think that there’s a chance – not a chance in hell – that Nicodemus would knowingly do anything that would rob him of the person he needs to get through the gate of ice.

Which means that Nicodemus wouldn’t put anything up to chance.  I don’t believe that he would chance killing Dresden unless it was completely obvious that he had betrayed him, simply because he doesn’t know for sure if the Queen of Tricksey Faeries has eyes on the situation or not.  That’s not something that Nicodemus would risk on a job so critical.  And by the same token, I don’t believe that he would give the command for the Genoskwa to kill Dresden unless he was absolutely certain that he would not.  Because if there’s any ambiguity about Dresden’s death, then the job is off.

So when the Genoskwa does not kill Harry, even though given ample time to and commanded to do so, this strikes me as very conspicuou
Exactly, all part of an elaborate ruse to get a Sword broken..
I think it was more than likely that Nicodemus had a conversation with all of his hidden Denarians – that due to the circumstance of the bargain with Mab, none of them were allowed to kill him.  Period.  That makes the most sense; if Dresden is to die, Nicodemus would want to be in control so that he could not accidently lose the retainer from Winter that he was owed.

Not until the mission was over, then let the double crossing begin, then the efforts to kill Harry were for real..

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
Harry's realization is that Nic can justify an honest attempt to kill him as a ploy, for the same reason that Harry can justify an honest attempt to work against Nic as incompetence.  Not that it turns out they were both trying some clever trick after all.

If Murphy wasn't there with the sword, what would have happened is that Butters and Harry would have died, and Nic would have gone back and demanded a new minion, since the first one broke Mab's word, trying to help someone with vital intelligence that undermines the op escape.  Where he could do things like warn the bank they're trying to break into.

As for Nic's goal to break a sword, no shit he wants to do that.  But unless you want to argue that the whole point of both Small Favor and Death Masks was not actually to get a coin in the Archive, or just cause a bunch of death to change people's mindset to something more nihilistic, but actually somehow break a sword, then maybe he can do something with another goal in mind.  Like, say, kill the guy who knows how to kill him, and prevent information that can damage his mission from getting out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:27:55 AM by peregrine »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »
Plus, the other thing is that Harry did the ice run while running closer and closer to sub-antarctic temperatures. It's one thing to parkour! across a field full of monster rocks the size of buildings smashing everything in its wake. Quite another to do it while your body is convulsing with cold. On the return trip, they're running away from absolute zero.

According to general cryptozoology, I don't think that Gen would handle that very well going th other way. Maybe if he was a Yeti, but there's a difference between these cryptids.
The Genoskwa did most of the parcours while trying to kill Harry and he was heavily wounded and I do not think the parcours was that much easier from the other side.

And I expect Nicodemus to have a backup plan in case He could kill Harry earlier.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 02, 2017, 05:32:23 AM »
If Murphy wasn't there with the sword, what would have happened is that Butters and Harry would have died, and Nic would have gone back and demanded a new minion, since the first one broke Mab's word, trying to help someone with vital intelligence that undermines the op escape.  Where he could do things like warn the bank they're trying to break into.

No, because it was a trick to get her to pull out the Sword..   Nic boasted as much, he "wanted to put a little pressure on Murphy.." 
As for Nic's goal to break a sword, no shit he wants to do that.  But unless you want to argue that the whole point of both Small Favor and Death Masks was not actually to get a coin in the Archive, or just cause a bunch of death to change people's mindset to something more nihilistic, but actually somehow break a sword, then maybe he can do something with another goal in mind.  Like, say, kill the guy who knows how to kill him, and prevent information that can damage his mission from getting out.

No need to argue that that was the whole point of Small Favor, we all know it wasn't... However one of the bigger lumps of sugar Harry put in to sweeten the pie of coins to try and get Ivy and Marcone back was Fid.. Why?  Nic wanted it to break it.. 

Point is, Harry wasn't killed after the Sword was broken and the snot kicked out of Murphy.  Why?  Because that wasn't his intention at that point... Oh he wants to kill Harry, sure, but he still had a use for him, then kill him...