Author Topic: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)  (Read 72744 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
Not only is Nicodemus a liar, Harry's strategy is based on it and Kringle agrees. Mark that if Nicodemus had not lied he would have had his favorite artifact and not the grail. Nicodemus lies even if it works against him.

The same in small favor. Harry's strategy is based on Nicodemus breaking the truce because denarians will always break their word, will always lie.

So in a situation where Nicodemus has something to gain and is difficult to check he will tell anything that suits him and his words can not be used to prove anything.
Err concealing intention is not outright lying fyi, still in fae territory not outright lying. show me outright lying not proof nic will deceive, not the same thing I was pointing at. Point of fact Nic goes out of his way to avoid stating outright lies to anyone that I've seen. Which is well within the ability of the fae who can't lie. another point, Mab was also dealing in bad faith, but she never outright lied about anything in SG either so...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:21:33 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2017, 07:32:29 PM »
Err concealing intention is not outright lying fyi, still in fae territory not outright lying. show me outright lying not proof nic will deceive, not the same thing I was pointing at. Point of fact Nic goes out of his way to avoid stating outright lies to anyone that I've seen. Which is well within the ability of the fae who can't lie. another point, Mab was also dealing in bad faith, but she never outright lied about anything in SG either so...
He stated his intention and that was not his real intention. That is not conceiling something, that is lying. Kringle agrees and he can not lie.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
He stated his intention and that was not his real intention. That is not conceiling something, that is lying. Kringle agrees and he can not lie.
Mab stated her intention but that was not her intention, that would be a lie. Consider that his intentions were fluid and that any way it tended to go was ok with him, it's not lying. Kringle doesn't say he's going to straight up lie his ass off, and neither does he. besides this one game here, which by the letter of it was not lying, it was being deceptive, it was misdirection, it was letting the dice role, but he didn't lie directly to anyone about anything. Show me where he lied. Show me where Mab lied considering it was never her intention to help him achieve his goal? subtle distinctions.
A lie would be if he didn't want the cup, he does want the cup, that that wasn't what he wanted most doesn't suddenly make that a lie.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:25:58 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »
((OK – I started writing when I saw HuangJimmy’s reply to me, and haven’t really seen anything else.  I’ll respond to others when I can.  But I mean, this sort of applies to everyone))

HuangJimmy:  I’m afraid again that I might be being a bit rude or pushing too far.  Your responses are getting a bit close to ad hominem.  Please, let me know; if I’m being rude or offensive at all, or if you feel like I’m not listening to you, just tell me and I’ll bow out.  This kind of debate and discussion is not fun if feelings get hurt or if we get rude to each other.

With that being said, I’m a bit confused by your post.  I don’t know why, for example, my argument only has weight if Butters died because you didn’t really elaborate.  I don’t know why you don’t believe that the time limit of Nicodemus’ command doesn’t last until Butters breaks contact with Harry, because you haven’t said it.  And everything you’re saying now about character POV and four witnesses was originally in a response to Mira, not me, and my post was a minute and thirty seconds after you wrote to Mira.  Which is why I don’t appreciate you calling my theory lunacy when it’s clearly written without having first seen your argument.

With that being said, I think that there’s clearly a bit of misunderstanding on what I’m actually arguing.  I’ve been doing a lot of countering other people’s arguments, rather than stating clearly what I believe to be the case.  So that’s what I’m going to do here:  state clearly why I believe that Harry did not break the agreement at this point.  And if you have any points of disagreement, you can respond directly to them and give your counter-evidence.  And maybe then we can finally put this to bed so that I don’t have to keep defending this one tiny tangent, which supports my theory that Karrin actually could have become a knight at this point.  Because remember, this thread’s all about Karrin.

--

OK.  So, point-by-point, I’m going to take this through the steps of logic.  I just ask that you read with an open mind and try to understand what I’m arguing for here.  Follow along…

1.        There is a game going on between Nicodemus and Harry in regards to the truce between them.  If Nicodemus can get Harry to break the truce first, Nick gets to kill Harry without consequence and gets a replacement Winter Knight to get through the Gate of Ice.  If Harry can get Nicodemus to break the truce first, Mab no longer owes Nicodemus a Winter Knight for this task and Harry is free.  If neither can get the other to break the truce, then presumably they go to the end and duke it out in Chicago.

2.       Nicodemus knows that Harry doesn’t intend to help Nick get his goal, and Harry knows that Nicodemus will double-cross them.  They both know that the other is only going through the motions.

3.       Considering that everyone is trying to get the other to betray the other, the best way to get one player to betray the other is to either block them into a logical corner or to provoke them into an unthinking emotional response.

4.       It is not enough for an action to just seem like it is a betrayal of trust; it must black-and-white be so.  The best evidence for this is found at the first major climax of Skin Game:  despite having completely thrown the death of his daughter in his face and goading him into a murderous rage, despite Nicodemus telling the Genoskwa to kill him, despite being 100% sure that Nicodemus had broken the pact, Harry still makes sure that he lets Nicodemus attack first. 
I had two possible responses to his first attack in mind, and they had to be responses, not assaults of my own.  When all this was over, I wanted there to be absolutely no question in Mab’s mind that he had turned on me, not the other way around.

5.       The expressed words in agreements and commands matter a great deal.  Mab demonstrates this in the very beginning by showing how she is double-crossing Nicodemus.  She intends to adhere to the letter of the agreement, but is using a loophole in wording in order to allow her knight the opportunity to double-cross. 
I closed my eyes and ran back through her words in my head.  “Your precise instructions,” I said slowly, “were to go with Nicodemus and help him until such time as he completed his objective.”  “Indeed,” Mab said.  “Which he stated was to remove the contents of a vault.”  She leaned down, took a fistful of shirt in her hand, and pulled me back to my feet as easily as she might heft a chihuahua.  “I never said what you would do after.”

6.       Nicodemus knows all this as well and plays the game much the same.  The evidence to this is Nicodemus’ entrance in front of the Carpenter house.  If there was any gray to the situation, he could have called Harry’s attack of Binder’s chaps, or Harry’s mostly dragging Butters to safety, treason, and killed him outright .  Instead, he stands with a sword ready to kill, with the Genoskwa flanking Dresden, and acts as if Dresden was helping him all along as he sticks Harry in the logical trap of having to allow Butters to die to preserve the truce.
“Ah, Dresden,” Nicodemus purred.  “You caught him.  And in the nick of time.”  I set Butters down warily and kept him close to my side.  The little guy didn’t move or speak, though I could feel him shuddering with sudden intelligent terror.

7.       Nicodemus’ expressed goal is that Butters dies.  His reasoning for it, which ties it to Harry’s obligation to give aid to Nick in his operation, is that Butters poses a security risk.  These things by themselves do not yet obligate Harry to do the deed himself, but it does obligate Harry to not prevent it from happening and to provide what aid Nicodemus may require.  This is the first trap.
“Don’t be absurd,” Nicodemus said.  “He’s heard entirely too much, and my files on him say that he’s associated with Marcone’s Chicago Alliance.  Only an idiot wouldn’t recognize a potentially lethal security leak.”  He tilted his head to one side.  “He dies.”

8.       At this point, Harry has determined that he and Butters have no choice but to break the contract, fight, and likely die.  However, before they can actually move on this action, Karrin steps in with her ‘rocket launcher’ and threatens them, attempting to make Nicodemus reconsider his logical trap.  She positions herself in close proximity to Nicodemus, draws the Sword, and attacks.

a.       I acknowledge that Karrin’s actions in this create a problem in my argument – as Harry’s +1, it can be argued that her actions reflect back to Harry, and that Harry is ultimately responsible for Karrin’s act of violence and thus acted first.  I will address this at the end.  If you are willing to suspend disbelief for now and go along my supposition that Karrin’s actions are her own, I would appreciate it.  If not, then I invite you to scroll down and then come back.

9.       Karrin’s actions cannot be misconstrued as anything else – she states that she will attempt to kill Nicodemus, then swoops in and attempts to do so.  She delivers the first blow, which Nicodemus defensively parries.  If Karrin was under a similar oath of protection as Dresden was, this would mean that he was legally free to kill her.  Furthermore, Nicodemus did say that he couldn’t guarantee Murphy’s safety.  So basically, he can kill her on argument of self-defense, too.  However, this does not put Nicodemus in an advantageous position against a knight wielding an on-mission Sword, so he must first turn the tables in his favor.  The evidence to the sword being on-mission is the glow of holy light pouring from it – something that it doesn’t do when, for example, Dresden was cleaning it at his apartment years ago.

10.   Karrin and Nicodemus clash with swords locked together, and Nicodemus begins taunting Karrin and calling doubt to her calling, bringing out the doubt and fear she must have had.

11.   This is when Nicodemus springs his second trap.  Before, Harry simply had an obligation simply to aid Nicodemus if necessary and to not stand in the way of Butters’ demise.  Both Harry and Gen stand on the sidelines of this conflict.  Nicodemus now boxes Harry in by giving him a direct command to kill Butters, which Harry must now comply with because it is directly related to the expressed purpose of protecting their endeavor.
“Dresden,” Nicodemus said, “I’m giving you ample chance to call off your dog before I put her down.“  His eyes flicked to me.  “End the little doctor and come back to headquarters.  There’s no reason I should have to kill all three of you.”

12.   With these three sentences, Nicodemus establishes two things:  that Harry has a specific command, and that Harry has not yet broken the truce.  Otherwise, there would be no talk of “return to headquarters” or “call off your dog.”

13.   Harry intervenes at this point by grabbing Butters’ coat and appearing at first to be preparing to kill Butters.  The “All right, damn it, sorry about this Butters; nothing personal” primarily serves to make it appear that Dresden is about to comply with Nick, so that the Genoskwa does not rush in and prevent Harry from unleashing force.  Harry blasts Butters with force and moves him into the yard.  This has the effect of protecting him from Nicodemus and the Genoskwa, who cannot attack into Michael’s yard.

14.   This is the point that you are focusing on, in which you state that this act is direct defiance to Nicodemus’ order and thus breaks the truce.  However, at this point nothing has yet been compromised; only the move of a chess piece.  Harry does not attack Nick or Gen, and he does not impede his own ability to follow Nicodemus’ command.  The direct consequence of his action is that Nicodemus and the Genoskwa now cannot do the deed.  However, this was off the table from the moment that Nicodemus gave the command.

a.       It is true that Harry moving Butters certainly looks like he is not going to comply.  On the same token, however, Harry telling Butters “You take the big guy behind me” certainly looks like they are defying Nick, yet the moment of betrayal would occur only when the attack happens.  Talk is talk.

b.      Nicodemus’ expressed intent is for Butters to die, at Harry’s hands, because of the security threat that he represents.  Harry can still complete this task.  He can literally point his gun and pull the trigger and then he and Nick are all hunky-dory, and if he can do that, then the agreement isn’t yet broken.  If Butters breaks contact with Harry, though, then he has the opportunity to contact others, which would mean then that Harry disobeyed orders by allowing Butters to go free and endanger the mission.

c.       Altogether, it’s premature to say that the deal breaks here.  I mean, it’s bound to break in the next few minutes unless something miraculous happens, but it doesn’t break here.

15.   Here the action happens again.  Nick retaliates on Karrin with a gun – which he can, of course, in self-defense because of her actions – and the Genoskwa starts bashing Harry around and squeezing his head.

a.       It’s important to note that Harry shoots at the Genoskwa before the Genoskwa hits Harry.  However, this is not the first time that Harry/Genoskwa violence has happened; Gen took Harry out of commission in the warehouse, requiring a doctor, and it was not a breach of the agreement with Mab.  Comparatively, Harry’s gunshot is about the same strength as a needle prick to Gen and doesn’t threaten him or slow him down in the least.  So much so that it’s not clear whether Harry even hits Gen or not.

16.   At this point, the Genoskwa has Harry’s head in a vice, completely preventing him from talking.  This is important.  When Nicodemus surrenders, the third trap is not Harry’s; it is Karrin’s.  Nick surrenders to Karrin, which essentially means that Karrin cannot attack Nicodemus and must accept his coin.  However, Nicodemus still tells the Genoskwa to crush Harry’s skull.

a.       The Genoskwa’s grip essentially shuts Harry up.  He can’t speak to Karrin one way or another, which is critical here, because Harry sees what Nick is doing and tries to warn Karrin.
I saw it coming, what Nicodemus was doing.  I tried to warn her, but as I tried to speak, the Genoskwa rapped my head back against the minivan and nothing came out.

b.      Nicodemus pays a price for using this strategy:  he states that he relinquishes his claim on Butters’ blood.  This essentially frees Dresden (albeit temporarily) of the responsibility of having to kill Butters.  This strategy would last about as long as Nicodemus has to keep up the charade of submitting to the Knight.  But it does mean that Nicodemus doubly cannot kill Dresden at this point and use it as an argument to Mab.  Not only is Butters still in Dresden’s area of influence, but Nick has essentially just taken back his claim on his life. 
“I surrender,” he said quietly, his voice mocking.  He tilted his head slightly toward Butters.  “And I relinquish my claim on the blood of the innocent.  Have mercy on me, O Knight.”

17.   And this is the point where everything can change.  If Karrin calls Nick’s bluff and recovers the coin (and I don’t believe for a second that she doesn’t have a method of picking it up; if you spend the time gutting and preparing a rocket launcher to hold a katana, you’ve prepared to pick up the pocket change it generates) the entire situation flips.  Nicodemus can’t kill Dresden and get another Winter Knight at this point.  He’s also unarmed, facing an on-mission Knight holding the Sword of Faith, who had just taken a major leap of faith, without his coin and without his noose.  He can call the coin to him in an instant, but he can’t so easily recover his sword or his noose.  But he also can’t just let Karrin take the coin – Michael is inside, and I’m sure he has a holy hankie with Anduriel’s name on it.

I don’t know what happens from here.  The outcomes are extremely varied, but considering the liberal amount of deus ex machina that the knights attract, I don’t think that it’s certain that Dresden and Karrin leave this situation screwed.

So, to answer your questions…

What about four witnesses?  Butters, Harry, Karrin, and Michael all believe Nick is going to kill them.  OK, let’s look at the four of them.  Butters is right – Nick is going to kill him.  Karrin as well – as soon as she started deliberately trying to kill Nicodemus, she basically made his hit list.  Nicodemus is emotionally manipulating Karrin to believe that Dresden is going to die.  Michael doesn’t know the situation; all he knows is that Harry has to play nice, and it sure looks like Nicodemus is going to kill them all.

But Harry knows that it’s a breach of contract.

He proves it later.  You remember Nicodemus’ pitiful response to Dresden’s accusation of going back on Mab’s truce?  That’s incredibly significant, but not for the reason you think.

“The hell you have!” I spat.  “You’ve just ordered your goon to kill me.  You’ve broken your contract with Mab.”

Nicodemus shifted his gaze to me and looked amused.  “That?” he said.  “Goodness, Dresden, can you not recognize a ploy when you see one?”

“What ploy?” I said.

“I needed to put a little pressure on Miss Murphy,” he said.  “But you were never in any actual danger.”

It doesn’t matter what lame excuse Nicodemus gives at this point.  The point of the matter is that Harry states that the act of commanding the Genoskwa to kill him at this point, after Harry blasted Butters over the fence, would be breaking his contract with Mab.  And Nicodemus doesn’t deny this.  He weasels out instead by claiming he wasn’t breaking the contract because he didn’t actually put Dresden in danger.

None of this would be necessary if Nick had the right to kill Dresden at this point.  Harry and Nicodemus both know that if he WAS to have put him in danger at this point, it would be considered a breach of contract.  Otherwise, the conversation would be, “Dresden, you impeded the chase, ushered the suspect off to safety, and defied my direct command.  You’re lucky that Carpenter bought your freedom and my forgiveness, because otherwise you’d be dead where you stand.”

What about Karrin being Dresden’s +1 and Harry being responsible for her actions?  There are a number of instances in which Team Dresden and Team Nick clash and it isn’t considered a breach of contract.  The Genoskwa smashes him up a bit in the warehouse and incapacitates him.  Dresden smacks around Binder’s chaps in the chase.  Heck, Michael attacks the Genoskwa first in the vault, but Harry’s still concerned about letting Nicodemus attack him first.

Karrin isn’t Harry’s vassal, and it’s acknowledged that he doesn’t have complete control over her, just as Nicodemus doesn’t have complete control over his own underlings.  From the wording of Harry’s condition and Mab’s acceptance in the beginning, my guess is that Karrin is being treated not as under Harry’s responsibility, but as another associate who is tasked with keeping an eye out for Dresden.  After all, Nicodemus does not extend his promise of protection under the truce to her.  It could be implied that such a protection goes both ways.

But what if Harry dies? Mab can't know all of this detail.   Harry has Bonnie living inside his head. Mab has already said that if Harry dies, Bonnie goes free. Bonnie knows everything that Harry knows. She might not know the context that it is or what it means, but she knows it. Considering how smart Bob is with his encyclopedia level of knowledge, I think that Bonnie could be relied upon to give testimony.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
With that being said, I’m a bit confused by your post.  I don’t know why, for example, my argument only has weight if Butters died because you didn’t really elaborate.  I don’t know why you don’t believe that the time limit of Nicodemus’ command doesn’t last until Butters breaks contact with Harry, because you haven’t said it.  And everything you’re saying now about character POV and four witnesses was originally in a response to Mira, not me, and my post was a minute and thirty seconds after you wrote to Mira.  Which is why I don’t appreciate you calling my theory lunacy when it’s clearly written without having first seen your argument.

Does that mean that you agree that my theory is lunacy?  ::) I'd like to point out that I have a better track record than most, I called it that Butters would become a Holy Knight and got shot down for it pretty strongly at the time, but I was right..

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
1.        There is a game going on between Nicodemus and Harry in regards to the truce between them.  If Nicodemus can get Harry to break the truce first, Nick gets to kill Harry without consequence and gets a replacement Winter Knight to get through the Gate of Ice.  If Harry can get Nicodemus to break the truce first, Mab no longer owes Nicodemus a Winter Knight for this task and Harry is free.  If neither can get the other to break the truce, then presumably they go to the end and duke it out in Chicago.

I don't think it is that cut and dry on the replacement  Winter Knight thing... For example do you think Slade would have performed as well as Harry did on the mission?  Not sure what you mean by Harry being free, even if Mab didn't owe Nic a Winter Knight for this task, that doesn't free Harry as her Knight in my opinion.
2.       Nicodemus knows that Harry doesn’t intend to help Nick get his goal, and Harry knows that Nicodemus will double-cross them.  They both know that the other is only going through the motions.
Very true, which by the way, Mab expects in fact states that she'd relish such a game..
3.       Considering that everyone is trying to get the other to betray the other, the best way to get one player to betray the other is to either block them into a logical corner or to provoke them into an unthinking emotional response.
Which is exactly what Nic did with Murphy when he made it look like Harry was about to be killed... Taking out two birds with one stone, Murphy and more importantly, a Holy Sword.
7.       Nicodemus’ expressed goal is that Butters dies.  His reasoning for it, which ties it to Harry’s obligation to give aid to Nick in his operation, is that Butters poses a security risk.  These things by themselves do not yet obligate Harry to do the deed himself, but it does obligate Harry to not prevent it from happening and to provide what aid Nicodemus may require.  This is the first trap.
Indeed, which Butters unwittingly sprung..  Taking it a step further Nic most likely knew exactly what Butters was going to do via his shadow Andriel, so it became the perfect set up.
8.       At this point, Harry has determined that he and Butters have no choice but to break the contract, fight, and likely die.  However, before they can actually move on this action, Karrin steps in with her ‘rocket launcher’ and threatens them, attempting to make Nicodemus reconsider his logical trap.  She positions herself in close proximity to Nicodemus, draws the Sword, and attacks.
I see that a little different, Nic doesn't care if Butters dies or not, but he knows Harry does..  Harry's reaction and action to the order were very predictable.. Harry is that kind of guy...  Then all was needed was to put his head between Geno's mits with death seemingly certain.. Also predictable, Murphy would rush forth like an avenging angel with the Holy Sword Nic already knew she had hidden..  The second part of the trap has been sprung.. All that is left to do now on Nic's part, is to "lose" to Murphy, surrender, knowing that it isn't in her to accept and let him go to seek redemption.. She goes for execution instead and voila, a broken Holy Sword.  Set, game, match...
b.      Nicodemus pays a price for using this strategy:  he states that he relinquishes his claim on Butters’ blood.  This essentially frees Dresden (albeit temporarily) of the responsibility of having to kill Butters.  This strategy would last about as long as Nicodemus has to keep up the charade of submitting to the Knight.  But it does mean that Nicodemus doubly cannot kill Dresden at this point and use it as an argument to Mab.  Not only is Butters still in Dresden’s area of influence, but Nick has essentially just taken back his claim on his life. 

Which is all B.S. because the whole thing was a ploy....

It doesn’t matter what lame excuse Nicodemus gives at this point.  The point of the matter is that Harry states that the act of commanding the Genoskwa to kill him at this point, after Harry blasted Butters over the fence, would be breaking his contract with Mab.  And Nicodemus doesn’t deny this.  He weasels out instead by claiming he wasn’t breaking the contract because he didn’t actually put Dresden in danger.

Harry then says that Mab would see both actions as reasonable tit for tat, with no real harm done to the original deal...
What about Karrin being Dresden’s +1 and Harry being responsible for her actions?  There are a number of instances in which Team Dresden and Team Nick clash and it isn’t considered a breach of contract.  The Genoskwa smashes him up a bit in the warehouse and incapacitates him.  Dresden smacks around Binder’s chaps in the chase.  Heck, Michael attacks the Genoskwa first in the vault, but Harry’s still concerned about letting Nicodemus attack him first.
That is negated by Nic saying he cannot be responsible for Murphy's safety, so she goes with Harry at her own risk, of her own free will, she was never ordered to go along..

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2017, 01:06:31 AM »
Simple question.  When Harry gives chase to Butters, is his goal to keep Butters from getting killed, or is his goal to silence Butters for the good of the mission?  Not, "Can he do both" or "Is there a way to keep Butters alive without breaking Mab's word" but what is his overriding goal?

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2017, 01:44:32 AM »
Does that mean that you agree that my theory is lunacy?  ::) I'd like to point out that I have a better track record than most, I called it that Butters would become a Holy Knight and got shot down for it pretty strongly at the time, but I was right..
No, not at all - I don't think that your theory was lunacy.  I didn't quite agree with it, but I can see where you were going with it.  HuangJimmy was calling my response to him lunacy and acting as if I was ignoring this counter that he posed to you.

I didn't realize that you predicted Butters at the time!  I first discovered the Dresden Files five years ago, shortly after Cold Days came out, and read the full series for the first time in a few glorious months.  I remember when reading Dead Beat wondering why on earth Dresden was bemoaning about not getting a Knight to come and save him, when he did get a pretty miraculous rescue by Mouse and Butters.  At the time, I had thought it would be ironic if Butters one day would become a knight, though as I continued on with the series I had concluded that it was Mouse, not Butters, that Jim was setting up to be the superhero.  Imagine my surprise when the next book came out and Butters was being set up to be a knight all along.

Quote from: peregrine
Simple question.  When Harry gives chase to Butters, is his goal to keep Butters from getting killed, or is his goal to silence Butters for the good of the mission?  Not, "Can he do both" or "Is there a way to keep Butters alive without breaking Mab's word" but what is his overriding goal?
Harry's goal is to save Butters' life while going through the motions of stopping him.  Just as Mab's goal is to screw Nicodemus seven times over while going through the motions of lending her knight to aid his project.  Like a kid with a cookie jar, they're only in trouble if they get caught.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2017, 02:19:36 AM »
So, what he's looking to do is break Mab's word without getting caught.

Which means that when Nic explicitly compares his move to kill Harry to Harry's betrayal of Mab's word, he is admitting that he was going to actually do it, but, like Harry's attempt, it can be explained away.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:50 AM »
Mab stated her intention but that was not her intention, that would be a lie. Consider that his intentions were fluid and that any way it tended to go was ok with him, it's not lying. Kringle doesn't say he's going to straight up lie his ass off, and neither does he. besides this one game here, which by the letter of it was not lying, it was being deceptive, it was misdirection, it was letting the dice role, but he didn't lie directly to anyone about anything. Show me where he lied. Show me where Mab lied considering it was never her intention to help him achieve his goal? subtle distinctions.
A lie would be if he didn't want the cup, he does want the cup, that that wasn't what he wanted most doesn't suddenly make that a lie.
It is about Nicodemus lying, not Mab lying. Mab won't. Nicodemus is not bound to tell the truth the way Mab is so it makes no sense to expect him to follow rules the way Mab does.

The fae are unique in that respect and nobody in the books applies those rules to other creatures like vampires or denarian hosts. Nobody expects Nicodemus to tell the truth either.

If he says Tessa is after the grail, that that is her beef, that is an obvious lie. We know what her beef was, what she was after. She was not interested in that cup at all, she tried to prevent the crew from Even starting the whole thing.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
Just to be clear.  Harry is commanded to help Nik with his operations.  He is NOT commanded to obey Nik.  The two are NOT the same thing, although most times they deliver the same results.  Evidence: 
*  Harry refused to kill Butters
*  Harry closed the portal back to the real world -- and Nik obviously did not order him to reopen it even those such an order was totally in Nik's best interests.

When Butters I caught spying the denarians, he become  a hinderence to the operation. Nick orders Harry to end him, and with Butters status as a security risk, that order is valid.

Re-opening the NN pathway is different. Harry can always re-open another one. There is no risk to the operation so long as Nick truly does not intend treachery.

If Nick can order Harry to do anything at all, Nick probably would have order Harry to kill himself and be done with it. 
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »

Saying that you want the grail when in truth you want something is a freaking blatant lie. A fae may to hide their intentions, but a fae can never say that they want something while in truth they want another thing. A fae might confuse you by answering a question with a question, or by simply being silent, but outright saying that they want one thing while in truth they want another thing is beyond their capabilities unless they are infected.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2017, 03:20:43 AM »

When did Mab state her intent and it is not her intent?

And you are wrong. Nick don't really want the grail. If it is there and it is a freeby, he'll take it of course, but he'll throw the grail away if he can get his hands on the knife, his presume true target.

If Mab say she wants the grail, it means she wants the grail. She might want something else along the grail and she may not tell you, but the grail remains her target.

That is the difference.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »
While Nic can of course lie however he wants, does he ever say that the Grail is his goal, or just their target?  Going after something target-adjacent needs no lying.

Also, I'm sure that Nic would indeed love to have the Grail.  Not as much as other stuff, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want it.  I'd be hard pressed to think of any sort of magical artifact he will just turn his nose up at, unless it has some inherent downsides.  Probably doesn't want a pair of coins fighting it out in his psyche or whatever.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2017, 03:58:50 AM »
((OK – I started writing when I saw HuangJimmy’s reply to me, and haven’t really seen anything else.  I’ll respond to others when I can.  But I mean, this sort of applies to everyone))

HuangJimmy:  I’m afraid again that I might be being a bit rude or pushing too far.  Your responses are getting a bit close to ad hominem.  Please, let me know; if I’m being rude or offensive at all, or if you feel like I’m not listening to you, just tell me and I’ll bow out.  This kind of debate and discussion is not fun if feelings get hurt or if we get rude to each other.

With that being said, I think that there’s clearly a bit of misunderstanding on what I’m actually arguing.  I’ve been doing a lot of countering other people’s arguments, rather than stating clearly what I believe to be the case.  So that’s what I’m going to do here:  state clearly why I believe that Harry did not break the agreement at this point.  And if you have any points of disagreement, you can respond directly to them and give your counter-evidence.  And maybe then we can finally put this to bed so that I don’t have to keep defending this one tiny tangent, which supports my theory that Karrin actually could have become a knight at this point.  Because remember, this thread’s all about Karrin.

--

OK.  So, point-by-point, I’m going to take this through the steps of logic.  I just ask that you read with an open mind and try to understand what I’m arguing for here.  Follow along…

4.       It is not enough for an action to just seem like it is a betrayal of trust; it must black-and-white be so.  The best evidence for this is found at the first major climax of Skin Game:  despite having completely thrown the death of his daughter in his face and goading him into a murderous rage, despite Nicodemus telling the Genoskwa to kill him, despite being 100% sure that Nicodemus had broken the pact, Harry still makes sure that he lets Nicodemus attack first. 
5.       The expressed words in agreements and commands matter a great deal.  Mab demonstrates this in the very beginning by showing how she is double-crossing Nicodemus.  She intends to adhere to the letter of the agreement, but is using a loophole in wording in order to allow her knight the opportunity to double-cross. 
6.       Nicodemus knows all this as well and plays the game much the same.  The evidence to this is Nicodemus’ entrance in front of the Carpenter house.  If there was any gray to the situation, he could have called Harry’s attack of Binder’s chaps, or Harry’s mostly dragging Butters to safety, treason, and killed him outright .  Instead, he stands with a sword ready to kill, with the Genoskwa flanking Dresden, and acts as if Dresden was helping him all along as he sticks Harry in the logical trap of having to allow Butters to die to preserve the truce.

a.       I acknowledge that Karrin’s actions in this create a problem in my argument – as Harry’s +1, it can be argued that her actions reflect back to Harry, and that Harry is ultimately responsible for Karrin’s act of violence and thus acted first.  I will address this at the end.  If you are willing to suspend disbelief for now and go along my supposition that Karrin’s actions are her own, I would appreciate it.  If not, then I invite you to scroll down and then come back.

9.       Karrin’s actions cannot be misconstrued as anything else – she states that she will attempt to kill Nicodemus, then swoops in and attempts to do so.  She delivers the first blow, which Nicodemus defensively parries.  If Karrin was under a similar oath of protection as Dresden was, this would mean that he was legally free to kill her.  Furthermore, Nicodemus did say that he couldn’t guarantee Murphy’s safety.  So basically, he can kill her on argument of self-defense, too.  However, this does not put Nicodemus in an advantageous position against a knight wielding an on-mission Sword, so he must first turn the tables in his favor.  The evidence to the sword being on-mission is the glow of holy light pouring from it – something that it doesn’t do when, for example, Dresden was cleaning it at his apartment years ago.

10.   Karrin and Nicodemus clash with swords locked together, and Nicodemus begins taunting Karrin and calling doubt to her calling, bringing out the doubt and fear she must have had.

11.   This is when Nicodemus springs his second trap.  Before, Harry simply had an obligation simply to aid Nicodemus if necessary and to not stand in the way of Butters’ demise.  Both Harry and Gen stand on the sidelines of this conflict.  Nicodemus now boxes Harry in by giving him a direct command to kill Butters, which Harry must now comply with because it is directly related to the expressed purpose of protecting their endeavor.
12.   With these three sentences, Nicodemus establishes two things:  that Harry has a specific command, and that Harry has not yet broken the truce.  Otherwise, there would be no talk of “return to headquarters” or “call off your dog.”

13.   Harry intervenes at this point by grabbing Butters’ coat and appearing at first to be preparing to kill Butters.  The “All right, damn it, sorry about this Butters; nothing personal” primarily serves to make it appear that Dresden is about to comply with Nick, so that the Genoskwa does not rush in and prevent Harry from unleashing force.  Harry blasts Butters with force and moves him into the yard.  This has the effect of protecting him from Nicodemus and the Genoskwa, who cannot attack into Michael’s yard.

14.   This is the point that you are focusing on, in which you state that this act is direct defiance to Nicodemus’ order and thus breaks the truce.  However, at this point nothing has yet been compromised; only the move of a chess piece.  Harry does not attack Nick or Gen, and he does not impede his own ability to follow Nicodemus’ command.  The direct consequence of his action is that Nicodemus and the Genoskwa now cannot do the deed.  However, this was off the table from the moment that Nicodemus gave the command.

a.       It is true that Harry moving Butters certainly looks like he is not going to comply.  On the same token, however, Harry telling Butters “You take the big guy behind me” certainly looks like they are defying Nick, yet the moment of betrayal would occur only when the attack happens.  Talk is talk.

b.      Nicodemus’ expressed intent is for Butters to die, at Harry’s hands, because of the security threat that he represents.  Harry can still complete this task.  He can literally point his gun and pull the trigger and then he and Nick are all hunky-dory, and if he can do that, then the agreement isn’t yet broken.  If Butters breaks contact with Harry, though, then he has the opportunity to contact others, which would mean then that Harry disobeyed orders by allowing Butters to go free and endanger the mission.

c.       Altogether, it’s premature to say that the deal breaks here.  I mean, it’s bound to break in the next few minutes unless something miraculous happens, but it doesn’t break here.

15.   Here the action happens again.  Nick retaliates on Karrin with a gun – which he can, of course, in self-defense because of her actions – and the Genoskwa starts bashing Harry around and squeezing his head.

a.       It’s important to note that Harry shoots at the Genoskwa before the Genoskwa hits Harry.  However, this is not the first time that Harry/Genoskwa violence has happened; Gen took Harry out of commission in the warehouse, requiring a doctor, and it was not a breach of the agreement with Mab.  Comparatively, Harry’s gunshot is about the same strength as a needle prick to Gen and doesn’t threaten him or slow him down in the least.  So much so that it’s not clear whether Harry even hits Gen or not.

16.   At this point, the Genoskwa has Harry’s head in a vice, completely preventing him from talking.  This is important.  When Nicodemus surrenders, the third trap is not Harry’s; it is Karrin’s.  Nick surrenders to Karrin, which essentially means that Karrin cannot attack Nicodemus and must accept his coin.  However, Nicodemus still tells the Genoskwa to crush Harry’s skull.

a.       The Genoskwa’s grip essentially shuts Harry up.  He can’t speak to Karrin one way or another, which is critical here, because Harry sees what Nick is doing and tries to warn Karrin.
17.   And this is the point where everything can change.  If Karrin calls Nick’s bluff and recovers the coin (and I don’t believe for a second that she doesn’t have a method of picking it up; if you spend the time gutting and preparing a rocket launcher to hold a katana, you’ve prepared to pick up the pocket change it generates) the entire situation flips.  Nicodemus can’t kill Dresden and get another Winter Knight at this point.  He’s also unarmed, facing an on-mission Knight holding the Sword of Faith, who had just taken a major leap of faith, without his coin and without his noose.  He can call the coin to him in an instant, but he can’t so easily recover his sword or his noose.  But he also can’t just let Karrin take the coin – Michael is inside, and I’m sure he has a holy hankie with Anduriel’s name on it.

I don’t know what happens from here.  The outcomes are extremely varied, but considering the liberal amount of deus ex machina that the knights attract, I don’t think that it’s certain that Dresden and Karrin leave this situation screwed.

So, to answer your questions…

What about four witnesses?  Butters, Harry, Karrin, and Michael all believe Nick is going to kill them.  OK, let’s look at the four of them.  Butters is right – Nick is going to kill him.  Karrin as well – as soon as she started deliberately trying to kill Nicodemus, she basically made his hit list.  Nicodemus is emotionally manipulating Karrin to believe that Dresden is going to die.  Michael doesn’t know the situation; all he knows is that Harry has to play nice, and it sure looks like Nicodemus is going to kill them all.

But Harry knows that it’s a breach of contract.

He proves it later.  You remember Nicodemus’ pitiful response to Dresden’s accusation of going back on Mab’s truce?  That’s incredibly significant, but not for the reason you think.

None of this would be necessary if Nick had the right to kill Dresden at this point.  Harry and Nicodemus both know that if he WAS to have put him in danger at this point, it would be considered a breach of contract.  Otherwise, the conversation would be, “Dresden, you impeded the chase, ushered the suspect off to safety, and defied my direct command.  You’re lucky that Carpenter bought your freedom and my forgiveness, because otherwise you’d be dead where you stand.”

Karrin isn’t Harry’s vassal, and it’s acknowledged that he doesn’t have complete control over her, just as Nicodemus doesn’t have complete control over his own underlings.  From the wording of Harry’s condition and Mab’s acceptance in the beginning, my guess is that Karrin is being treated not as under Harry’s responsibility, but as another associate who is tasked with keeping an eye out for Dresden.  After all, Nicodemus does not extend his promise of protection under the truce to her.  It could be implied that such a protection goes both ways.

But what if Harry dies? Mab can't know all of this detail.   Harry has Bonnie living inside his head. Mab has already said that if Harry dies, Bonnie goes free. Bonnie knows everything that Harry knows. She might not know the context that it is or what it means, but she knows it. Considering how smart Bob is with his encyclopedia level of knowledge, I think that Bonnie could be relied upon to give testimony.

I agree to everything up to point 14. No problem there at all.

Point 14 is indeed in contention. You say it is not compromise yet. In fact it is. In theory, Harry has not attack Nick or the genoskwa, but by his actions he has put Butters into a position of near absolute safety, which definitely will impede him from fulfilling Nicodemous's orders. Which is why I say that this argument would carry more weight if Butters actually die, one way or another. But no, Butters does not die. No matter what we say, even though it is still possible to kill Butters after he cross the fence, the fact of the matter is that the task is not done in the end. Nick orders to end Butters and Butters is not ended. If helping Butters before this can be swept under the rug with the word "honest incompotency", forzaring Butters across the fence is no longer "honest incompotency", it is either outright rebellion, or "true incompotency". Heck, the weak mortal doctor is right in front of you , no better than a turtle in a jar,  and you can't even end him! The excuse of incompotency should has it's limits.

Second point. Yes, you may have a point that crushing Harry at that point may be a deal breaker on Nick's part, but so does Harry secretly trying to help Butters. Harry say that Nick trying to kill him is breaking the deal, but in the next sentence Harry also acknowledge that this breach is a nescesary "Quid pro Quo" to cover Harry's previous cheating attempt. What does this mean. If Nick does not order the Genoskwa to crush his head and thereby sort of violate the deal, Harry will have nothing to pay the "Quid pro Quo". He might not die under Nick's sword or the Genoswa's claws, but under Mab's crusifiction instead. Either way, Harry will end up dead, or close to it. The threat to Harry's life is as real as ever. And if threatening Harry can be use the cover the "Quid pro quo", what else can. It is possible, even likely, that crushing Harry's head can be considered a "Quid pro quo" as well. Threatening to kill Harry is a breach of the deal, killing Harry outright is also a breach of the deal.

Besides, under such circumstances, I have very good reason to distrust Nick. Nick could really crush Harry' head and just right it off as a "Quid pro Quo"

As for Murphy. Perhaps it is indeed a good idea for her to stay true to the code of the KoTC. She can do like what Michael did in the gate of blood, when Nick is trying to sacrifice dierdra without interference. Kill him and I'll smite you down. Yes, she can do that, and this is precisely her mistake.

But taking the coin and noose is definitely out of the question. Take that away, and Nick will get desperate. He might decide to cut his losses and take Harry's life as consolation prize first, and deal with Mab later.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:31:21 AM by huangjimmy108 »