Author Topic: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)  (Read 72750 times)

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2017, 06:11:28 AM »
But she totally failed to keep a Holy Sword safe...  Yes, it is the custodian's duty to see that the Swords are kept safe and deployed properly in the hands of the right wielder...  She totally failed, because after declaring why she shouldn't wield a Holy Sword, she chose to hide it and bring it along when she went with Harry..  Point, feeling the way she did, she wasn't the right person to wield a Sword..  Her personal feelings shouldn't enter into it.. You can state that as her excuse, but it still says she was a total failure...  No, Harry was never in any real danger, it was a ploy by Nic to get her to attack him, so the Sword would be broken.. Nic still needed Harry to get to the weapons in the vault.. Even if he could squirm his way out of his agreement with Mab with some cock and bull story, he still wanted in the vault.. So no, he never intended to kill Harry..  So Murphy attacked to save Harry, but he only appeared to be in danger, in truth, he never was... Nic wasn't lying to her as he beat the shit out of her.Only because of Harry's faith... Not hers, and if Harry had no faith and didn't chose to toss the hilt when he did, the Sword would still be broken..  Murphy didn't chose to break a Sword to make something better, no one knew that would happen.. It is a nice rationalization..
In my opinion she wasn't acting as a Knight... She brought the Sword, it reacted to Nic in a fight, it levels the playing field.. Just as it lit up on Harry's back on the island back in Small Favor, though Harry said at the time, he is no Knight.  Murphy didn't take the Sword with her as a Knight, she just took it.She had the Swords in her possession, but she was never their custodian, there is a difference. She was qualified to be Knight that one night at C.I.   I think if she is the one needed for the job and accepted, she could be a Knight again for the length of time needed..
But he knew enough than to try and wield it himself as a Knight or just as a wizard.. 
Perhaps because they need to be kept in civilian hands, more free choices maybe.
But Heaven didn't, Fid was passed to Harry to keep until the right person came along.. Michael never questioned it, and in turn when he retired handed Am over to Harry as well..Something like that.Actually we do not know that, as Con pointed out Harry did try to give Hannah a way out very much as a true Knight would..  However she rejected him choosing Lasciel and her vengence instead, and he had to kill her to save the mission..  He didn't judge her like Murphy judged Nic...  If anything Harry felt guilt because he couldn't save her, and Michael had to get him to buck up...

which is why her qualification as a custodian is revoked afterwards and returned to Harry, but that is after she make the mistake, not before.

The point I want to make is this: Just because a person does not want and does not have the qualification to be a knight, he or she does not automatically unqualified as a custodian, which is the point of your opinion which I find disagreeable.

Murphy not wanting to be a knight has nothing to do with her taking fid with her during SG and choosing to wield it herself. There is no Hipocracy there, because the desire to save people like Nicodemous is completely not required.  As a custodian, she has the right to do so at the time, regardless or not she wish to save denarians or kill them. Free will is like that, or it will be empty talk.

She also has the right to appoint herself the temporary wielder of the sword, though Her choice to wield the sword herself turn out to be a mistake, and she suffers the consequences for it on her own. She got injured and her custodianship is revoke. Whether or not this consequences is a punishment or a reward however, is up to your own interpretation. For me, the consequences Murphy gotten are mostly rewards + a bit of a reprimand.

Do you really think that every single knight who are deemed worthy by the sword and heaven will not be tempted? The they never fail? If that is the case, Nick won't bother trying to make people misuse the sword. Nick tried it on Harry during book 10. He tried it on Murphy in SG and he tried it on Michael during SG as well. If only those wielder that is not appointed by heaven could fail, Nick would not have use this particular move every single time, not to mentioned that it completely violates the free will principal if it is true. Even cassius use this move during book 5. It is probably the greatest cliché move a denarian could take against a KoTC. Like many people said "It wont become a cliché if it isn't effective"

Granted, the only person we saw get tricked is only Murphy. Harry too, if you want to count what happened in book 3 with Lea, but unless the free will principal is false, it is impossible that there never has been a knight or a custodian who fail their duty for the last 2000 years.

Failing does not mean you were never chosen or you were never worthy. It just mean you are human and you need to work harder and improve yourself. 
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
It is just calling the coin. According to Lasciel Harry could have done so through his walls and wards and concrete and circle and so on. I do not think the angels would have interfered, they would have interfered with his free willed choice to doom himself
A free-will Act of a mortal does not apply to a Denarian. That's why Nick and Tessa have to wait outside, ineffective. Besides, what kind of protection do you think that the church can offer other than a guardianship of angels hovering over it? I'm sorry, but your argument makes no sense.

I think you missed the point of my post. Karen has never been optimal knight material and she knew it. It was not about how she should have acted as a knight, it was about picking up the sword in the first place.
I disagree with your assertion. When karrin held the sword, it still shown with a Holy Light. I don't think that it would have done so if it was absolutely wrong for Karen to have held the sword. I think that she had a choice here, and she chose poorly. If she had chosen well, she would have been a knight, and we would have had a very different story.

By trying to save Butters from Nicodemus.
That is what he said after the fight. Nicodemus says what suits him. He could have said something different after killing Harry.
I'm sorry, but you are really, really wrong here. Throughout the entire book, Nicodemus and Harry always talk about how actions would be perceived by mab. If Harry's act of defending Butters automatically means that he broke Mab's word and broke the contract between them, Nick would have easily killed him and butters without even saying a word when they approach to Michael's house.

This is why I karrin asks Harry in the SUV whether or not they've blown their cover, and Harry says that they're still bad guys. This is why Harry makes absolutely sure that Nick attacks him in the vault, even endangering himself, just to make sure that Nicodemus absolutely pulls the first punch. This is why there's so much back and forth about what mab would perceive and whether or not she would think something is a betrayal or is simply up to interpretation. Your glossing over this very complex issue just to make sure that it fits your argument, but it's not working.

Just to be clear, Nick cannot just say whatever he wants afterwards. Mab, in Queen of Faerie, has thousands of little folk everywhere in the real world who can report to her exactly what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if she herself was watching over these events. It's her interpretation that matters, not Nick's. And Mab is a person who upholds the letter of the law, and is okay with ignoring the spirit of it. That's why you can blast a fae lord into frozen chunks during a birthday party and be perfectly fine, because you technically did not spill any blood. Remember: Mab -wants- Nick to be "skinned alive" from this Game. If there's anything ambiguous about Harry's betrayal or if it can be chalked up to incompetence, Mab will absolutely do it and screw Nick over.

It is clear to me that a custodian is a strategic post which someone sneaky like Urieal created because a knight is far too rigid in their conduct and lacks flexibility in the face of unpredictable and fluctuating circumstances.
Holy crap, yes. This. That makes so much sense.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:17:40 AM by DonBugen »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
A free-will Act of a mortal does not apply to a Denarian.
Then how can they be saved? And why do the fallen in the coins bother with them?
That's why Nick and Tessa have to wait outside, ineffective.
Just like the angels have to wait ineffectively sometimes. And we still do not know exactly how the rules work, they have plot clauses I suspect.

Besides, what kind of protection do you think that the church can offer other than a guardianship of angels hovering over it? I'm sorry, but your argument makes no sense.
They can block the summoning with the box and holy hankie thing. It is all part of the rules.
The coin laying in the grass is not the same thing.
I disagree with your assertion. When karrin held the sword, it still shown with a Holy Light.
Which it did for Harry too in small favor. Karen gave it a try and the sword did its best maybe it could have succeeded but....
I don't think that it would have done so if it was absolutely wrong for Karen to have held the sword.
It was not absolutely wrong and she was not the first knight who got her sword broken either. It was her choice to risk the sword and that was free will as well.
I think that she had a choice here, and she chose poorly. If she had chosen well, she would have been a knight, and we would have had a very different story.
I think she would have returned it.

Again you are talking about how she performed as a knight while I was talking about her decision to pick up the sword in the first place with all her doubts about being proper knight material. Both the decision and the doubts were correct in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but you are really, really wrong here. Throughout the entire book, Nicodemus and Harry always talk about how actions would be perceived by mab. If Harry's act of defending Butters automatically means that he broke Mab's word and broke the contract between them, Nick would have easily killed him and butters without even saying a word when they approach to Michael's house.
And miss the chance of even getting more out of it? Harry was getting himself into problems quite nicely.
This is why I karrin asks Harry in the SUV whether or not they've blown their cover, and Harry says that they're still bad guys. This is why Harry makes absolutely sure that Nick attacks him in the vault, even endangering himself, just to make sure that Nicodemus absolutely pulls the first punch. This is why there's so much back and forth about what mab would perceive and whether or not she would think something is a betrayal or is simply up to interpretation. Your glossing over this very complex issue just to make sure that it fits your argument, but it's not working.

Just to be clear, Nick cannot just say whatever he wants afterwards.
Nicodemus will say what suits him. That is what he always does, that is his nature. Even if it bites him in the ass later.
Mab, in Queen of Faerie, has thousands of little folk everywhere in the real world who can report to her exactly what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if she herself was watching over these events. It's her interpretation that matters, not Nick's. And Mab is a person who upholds the letter of the law, and is okay with ignoring the spirit of it. That's why you can blast a fae lord into frozen chunks during a birthday party and be perfectly fine, because you technically did not spill any blood. Remember: Mab -wants- Nick to be "skinned alive" from this Game. If there's anything ambiguous about Harry's betrayal or if it can be chalked up to incompetence, Mab will absolutely do it and screw Nick over.
It would not matter if you were dead.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
Not to Harry certainly. But if Nick kills Harry without unambiguous proof that he's breaking their contract, he'll care very much.

Because he'll have an angry Sidhe Queen breathing down his neck for the remainder of his very short life.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
Murphy fail as a knight. This is beyond dispute. As a custodian however, did she fail? or did she succeed?

On the surface, she definitely fail. One of the main duty of a custodian is to keep the sword safe and deploy them as nescesary. Since Murphy deploy fid and end up breaking it, she definitely fail.

However, the subsequent event is too convenient for team good. The broken sword is reforge. Not just simply reforge, it turn into something far more suited for the next true KoTC, which would be impossible if the sword is not broken first. It also pull Harry out from the predicament between saving Butters and fulfilling Mab's promise.

If the custodian is simply a keeper, a mere guard + quartermaster for the KoTC, Murphy definitely fail. But what if the custodian is not just a keeper, but some kind of a shadow knight instead.

It is interesting to me looking at whom Heaven choose as the custodian. Original Merlin, Harry Dresden and Murphy. It is not a straight up good guy like Ft. Forthill, or a devout like Michael. These custodian are powerful people, and more importantly all of them are people who stand in the murky grey area between good and evil. All of them are active people. People who actively take actions that influence the course of destiny.

If Heaven wants a mere keeper, they should find people like Ft. Forthill. The sword will definitely be a lot safer that way.

It is entirely possible that the custodian is meant to use the sword in a way that a KoTC cannot. Using the sword as a gambling chip for example, or breaking a sword to save people. A KoTC can't do such things, but sometimes such things are nescesary. In book 10, using the sword as a gambling chip saved Ivy and probably the world from Nuclear Armageddon. In book 15, fid's breaking and Murphy's heavy injury satisfy the quid pro quo nescesary to bail Butters out, else the cost may be Harry's wintery crusifiction instead. And since this involve Hades and the 4 mysterious artifact in the underworld armory, fid's breaking possibly avoid a lot of cosmic scale complication.

It is a food for thought.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
Not to Harry certainly. But if Nick kills Harry without unambiguous proof that he's breaking their contract, he'll care very much.

Because he'll have an angry Sidhe Queen breathing down his neck for the remainder of his very short life.
Not only that, but Harry is vital for getting through the Ice Gate..   Nic very much wants to get into that vault and steal the weapons.. 
I disagree with your assertion. When karrin held the sword, it still shown with a Holy Light. I don't think that it would have done so if it was absolutely wrong for Karen to have held the sword. I think that she had a choice here, and she chose poorly. If she had chosen well, she would have been a knight, and we would have had a very different story.

That is a bit tricky but for the most part true, it may not even let the person touch it like it wouldn't let Susan in Death Masks, but that doesn't mean things cannot change as it did for her in Changes and she wielded Am to save her daughter.. Also the Sword will glow in the presence of it's foe as it did on Harry's back in Small Favor...
It was not absolutely wrong and she was not the first knight who got her sword broken either. It was her choice to risk the sword and that was free will as well.

Is that WOJ?  If so, quote please... If it is in the books, book, chapter,verse, please.. Yes, the Swords have been altered perhaps the last couple of thousand years, but that isn't the same as broken..
Murphy fail as a knight. This is beyond dispute. As a custodian however, did she fail? or did she succeed?

Fail big time, she chose herself to wield a Sword and got it broken...
However, the subsequent event is too convenient for team good. The broken sword is reforge. Not just simply reforge, it turn into something far more suited for the next true KoTC, which would be impossible if the sword is not broken first. It also pull Harry out from the predicament between saving Butters and fulfilling Mab's promise.
The cynical would call that luck... What blows that argument is she didn't tuck away the Sword with the idea of "Oh well, if it get's broken because I fuck up big time with it, Harry and Butters and or someone else will that the faith and be desperate enough to remake it, and better too.."  If that happened every day, then there wouldn't have been any point in Nic trying to take it out, which was his aim all along, has been all through the series, taking out one or more of the Holy
Swords.
It is interesting to me looking at whom Heaven choose as the custodian. Original Merlin, Harry Dresden and Murphy. It is not a straight up good guy like Ft. Forthill, or a devout like Michael. These custodian are powerful people, and more importantly all of them are people who stand in the murky grey area between good and evil. All of them are active people. People who actively take actions that influence the course of destiny.

Of that list, Murphy was NOT chosen as their custodian...  She made herself their keeper and then brow beat and lied to Harry, the true custodian so she could keep them...  Yes, I call it brow beating when she tells Harry she knows the Swords have moved on because she has faith and he doesn't.   
If Heaven wants a mere keeper, they should find people like Ft. Forthill. The sword will definitely be a lot safer that way.

That is the point, she was a mere keeper and the Swords turned out not to be safe with her..  She was in over her head and insecure about it, so it was easier to put on an act about being their custodian now..
It is entirely possible that the custodian is meant to use the sword in a way that a KoTC cannot. Using the sword as a gambling chip for example, or breaking a sword to save people. A KoTC can't do such things, but sometimes such things are nescesary. In book 10, using the sword as a gambling chip saved Ivy and probably the world from Nuclear Armageddon. In book 15, fid's breaking and Murphy's heavy injury satisfy the quid pro quo nescesary to bail Butters out, else the cost may be Harry's wintery crusifiction instead. And since this involve Hades and the 4 mysterious artifact in the underworld armory, fid's breaking possibly avoid a lot of cosmic scale complication.

No, while true, Harry did use the Sword as a bargaining chip for Ivy which may have stretched things a bit, but apparently with in his rights to do so... Or you can argue that being appointed custodian doesn't take away free will, he is free to fuck up as custodian as well as not..  Whether or not Fid went on the mission didn't matter at all, having a Knight on the mission was a good thing, but the thing making or breaking the mission was mainly Mr Grey being an undercover agent..   In the end it came down to the true custodian, Harry making the right choice at the right time...  Only this time it did indeed take a bit more faith on his part...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:54:16 AM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »

It is a food for thought.
It is certainly the reason Uriel is so involved with the swords lately. He is the angel to be sent out for that kind of thing.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Just to be clear, Nick cannot just say whatever he wants afterwards. Mab, in Queen of Faerie, has thousands of little folk everywhere in the real world who can report to her exactly what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if she herself was watching over these events. It's her interpretation that matters, not Nick's. And Mab is a person who upholds the letter of the law, and is okay with ignoring the spirit of it. That's why you can blast a fae lord into frozen chunks during a birthday party and be perfectly fine, because you technically did not spill any blood. Remember: Mab -wants- Nick to be "skinned alive" from this Game. If there's anything ambiguous about Harry's betrayal or if it can be chalked up to incompetence, Mab will absolutely do it and screw Nick over.

Holy crap, yes. This. That makes so much sense.

Not automatically, no.

If Harry just let things be and allow Nick to capture Butters, Harry will be scott free from any obligation. In this case, fid won't get broken, but Butters will have to die and Harry probably will have to watch it happened in exchange. All Harry need to do is do nothing.

That's option 1.

Option 2. Harry help Butters secretly and hope beyond hope he is not discovered and Butters can escape into Michael home before Nick can catch Harry in this act of treachery.

Harry did just that and he fail. He get caught. Thankfully, Harry is not caught red handed. Harry is smart enough to disguise helping Butters as a convenient incompotency. Nick knew, Harry knew, Mab knew, but Mab will most likely lawyer herself and Harry out of this problem in a blink. Which is why Nick does not mention it. He knew it is not enough.

The problem is Harry and Butters is caught in front of Michael's home, with Nick in the front and Genoskwa behind. Now, if Harry follow what Nick demand and actually surrenders Butters to Nick, he'll go scott free again, but that mean coming back to option 1.

Harry was about to threw everything away and fight Nick openly, which will definitely break Mab's promise beyond a doubt when Murphy come to the rescue. Murphy draw fid and attack Nick. Note that as Harry's + 1, Murphy's action reflect on Harry. Attacking Nick already broke the truce, but still, Mab probably could scratch that up as a mere scuffle. No one get hurt after all. No harm no fowl. Nick is still bound by the deal at this time, note that though Nick and the genoskwa stand there threateningly, they does not touch Harry or Murphy. Nick makes absolutely sure that his hands is clean.

Nick knows this, so he offered Harry a way out by surrendering Butters. It is at this point when Harry truly broke the deal by shooting Butters over the carpenter's fence. He is obligated to help Nick and Nick specifically ordered him to surrender Butters, but Harry do exactly the opposite right in front of Nicodemous. At this point Nick already have a free hand. which is why the moment Harry forzare Butters over the fence, all sorts of things happens at once. The Genoswa move, Nick pull out a gun and shoot Murphy, because at this point the truce is truly broken by Harry.

Fortunately, Nick is aiming for fidellacchius first and Harry later. That is why he does not just told the Genoskwa to crush Harry's head. Nick use Harry to unbalance Murphy and he succeeded, injuring Murphy in the process. He is free to kill Harry afterwards, but Michael offer him a more delicious bait and Nick get hook. We know the result afterwards. Murphy's injury is considered the quid pro quo for Harry secretly helping Butters behind Nick's back.

If Murphy does not take fid out, either Butters or Harry or both will have to die to resolve the situation. Don't even mention the ice gate. With Harry breaking the truce, Mab will be obligated to compensate even if she has to go down to Hades personally to help Nick.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:17:31 PM by huangjimmy108 »

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »
Then how can they be saved? And why do the fallen in the coins bother with them?

OK, both of those questions are taking what I had said out of context.  Let me re-phrase.

The free will that Nicodemus and Tessa have does not give them the ability to touch Michael’s house.  This is why the two must stand on the sidewalk while their vanilla mortal goons open fire.  That’s why Nicodemus has to pull Tessa’s hand back when she almost retaliates onto the yard.  If Nick and Tessa could stand to the side and even shoot guns at the yard, they wouldn’t need goons.  That is a border they cannot cross.  To do so would invite retailiation.

Just like the angels have to wait ineffectively sometimes. And we still do not know exactly how the rules work, they have plot clauses I suspect.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you’re suggesting that they just wait because they have to wait, and we don’t know why they wait and we can’t infer the answers from all of the evidence – it’s just some sort of arbitrary rule designed to fit the plot.

I disagree.  I think that we have substantial evidence from the way that Nicodemus, Tessa, and Grey respond, plus the way that Binder and Bob and the Toungueless Goon Squad responds, to infer what would happen if Nicodemus reached onto Michael’s property with his will in order to retrieve something, even his coin.

Besides – if Nick and Tessa and Grey are all pretty darn sure that stepping onto that property would invite angelic retaliation, what on earth means that Anduriel would be safe if his vessel entered into that area?

They can block the summoning with the box and holy hankie thing. It is all part of the rules.

The coin laying in the grass is not the same thing.
Wait, what rules?  I thought you said we couldn’t know how the rules work?  Now you know how they work?

If you believe that a blessed handkerchief is able to prevent Nicodemus from retrieving his coin better than a dozen angels tasked to destroy any force they perceive as malevolent from entering their area of guardianship, then please, give us some sort of evidence.  These are two different forces that are powered by and governed by the same force, and I’ve provided logical arguments as to why it wouldn’t work.  If an inanimate object that is blessed with God’s will is able to protect it better than twelve active and focused beings doing that will, which are also powerful enough to destroy planets when on-mission, cannot – you need to provide some sort of evidence to back up such a claim.

So far, all you’ve stated is that Dresden could have used Lashiel’s instruction to magically reach past Dresden’s wards and the circle of protection in order to yoink the coin.  But it’s not Michael’s fence or his threshold that is the danger here; the angels aren’t a ward to get past.  They’re an active force and will act on anything that is inside their area of guardianship.

Which it did for Harry too in small favor. Karen gave it a try and the sword did its best maybe it could have succeeded but....

Um.  Well.  Yes, you can argue that the sword did shine while Harry was holding it in Small Favor, but with reflected firelight.  Not with holy light.

I took two steps forward, ignoring Michael, and drew the sword from its sheath.  Fidelacchius was a classic chisel-tipped katana, encased in what looked like an old wooden walking cane.  I kept the blade clean and oiled while it was in my care.  It came free of its casing without a sound and gleamed coldly in the violet light of the fire.

--

Murphy’s fingers closed around the hilt of the holy blade.  She drew it maybe an inch from the scabbard.  White light blinded me, blinded Deidre, blinded Murphy, blinded Thomas, blinded everyone.

This is the same light that is in Skin Game when Murphy holds the sword.  It’s described as glowing blue, up until the moment that she chooses to use the sword selfishly.

“Damn you!” Karrin snarled.  Her hips and shoulders twisted to deliver the lethal slash.  The light of the blade died away as abruptly as an unplugged lamp.  The thrum of power that resonated through the very air vanished.

So no – Karrin still could have made the right choice.  Dresden even sees the trap and tries to warn her before, though the Genoskwa prevents him from speaking.

Again you are talking about how she performed as a knight while I was talking about her decision to pick up the sword in the first place with all her doubts about being proper knight material. Both the decision and the doubts were correct in my opinion.
I agree that it’s not a great idea to take up the sword if there were any doubts.  If Dresden was custodian and offered her the sword, asking for her oath to uphold all that the Knights do, she would have either refused it or have made the decision to uphold the code earlier, and not have been so easily manipulated by Nicodemus.  But she still had the choice here.  She could have made the right one and put her faith in TWG, and she didn’t.

And miss the chance of even getting more out of it? Harry was getting himself into problems quite nicely.
OK, so if Nick is just holding out in order to get a chance of destroying a sword, which he didn’t even know would be in play until Karrin pulls it out, then what else is he holding out for after he puts Murphy down?  Why didn’t Nick say, “OK, Gen, now REALLY crush his skull.”?

Nick can harm Karrin because Karrin attacked him, but she didn’t do so on Dresden’s orders.  Her actions and choices were her own.  And when Nick tells Harry to “call off your dog before I put her down” he tells him to end the little doctor and things can go back to normal.  Harry finds a way out by seemingly attempting to end Butters and failing, which is how they get into Nick’s next ploy.

Nicodemus will say what suits him. That is what he always does, that is his nature. Even if it bites him in the ass later.
Um, let me re-phrase again.  Nick cannot just say whatever he wants afterwards and expect Mab to agree to his version of events and give him another Winter Knight.  And where is this “his nature is to say whatever he wants, even if it bites him in the ass later” thing coming from?  Nicodemus is a schemer and a plotter, every move he makes considers the likely consequences and long-term results of his actions.  Him killing Dresden and claiming that Dresden betrayed him, even though he offered Nick no violence, fought the stone lion, fired magic at a fleeing target and blasted said target with the same amount of kinetic force as a 55 MPH truck?  No.  Dresden stuck to the letter of the agreement.  Nick is in the same position that Harry is in later at Hades’ vault – if Nick wants to justly kill Dresden, he has to provoke Dresden to attack outright, which could not be misconstrued as anything other than a betrayal of the agreement. 

It would not matter if you were dead.
I do not understand this argument.  It does not make sense in the context of what I was saying.  Do you disagree that it is Mab’s interpretation of events that ultimately matters?

Nick knows this, so he offered Harry a way out by surrendering Butters. It is at this point when Harry truly broke the deal by shooting Butters over the carpenter's fence. He is obligated to help Nick and Nick specifically ordered him to surrender Butters, but Harry do exactly the opposite right in front of Nicodemous. At this point Nick already have a free hand. which is why the moment Harry forzare Butters over the fence, all sorts of things happens at once. The Genoswa move, Nick pull out a gun and shoot Murphy, because at this point the truce is truly broken by Harry.

I disagree; if the truce was truly broken at this point, then why would Harry have phrased his attack by saying first, “Sorry, Butters, nothing personal” before blasting him in the chest?  Directly before this, Nick does not call for Harry to surrender Butters; he calls for him to end him.  Forzare is primarily used as an attack spell.  Dresden and Mab can certainly lawyer that Harry did attempt to end Butters; he just did a particularly incompetent job of it.  The reason that everything moved when it did was because Nick suddenly lost one point of leverage, and needed to gain another – instead of threatening Butters’ life, he threatens Harry’s.

And from earlier… forgot to respond to this one; sorry.

Uriel does not think human life that important anyway, the soul is more important.

Their souls are saved and for Uriel that is the most important point but Karen took the sword to save a loved one.

OK, chew on this.  In The Dresden Files, we *know* that there’s an afterlife.  We know that the soul, the true core of a person’s being, is eternal and lives onward.  We know from Harry’s specific experience that the act of dying is not necessarily a horrible experience, and that there are other things onward.  And we know from Deidre’s fate that there are some really, really horrible ways that you can spend all of eternity.

If that was the case…  why wouldn’t the state of the soul be far more important than a person’s life?  Compared to eternity?  Absolutely, it is worth risking a life to save a soul.  To paraphrase Harry in Proven Guilty – everybody dies.  What matters is, what are you going to do with the time you have?

Life and death are certainly important, but we mortals on this side of life have a very one-sided, limited perspective.  Death is not an end, but a change, and a beginning of sorts in the Dresden Files.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »
Just to cement that this whole “Harry broke the contract when he hit Butters with Forzare” thing that’s being argued.  Dresden literally says that Mab would interpret his protection of Butters as bad luck and sincere incompetence.  Why is this being argued?  Just because Nick makes it look like they’re fighting in order to get Murphy and Dresden to attack, doesn’t mean that he’s actually trying to kill Dresden.  This is a complex game in order to get one person to break the contract first.
“I’ve kept my word,” Nicodemus said.  “Now, it’s your tur-“
“The hell you have,” I spat.  “You just ordered your goon to kill me.  You’ve broken your contract with Mab.”
Nicodemus shifted his gaze to me and looked amused.  “That?” he said.  “Goodness, Dresden, can you not recognize a ploy when you see one?”
“What ploy?” I demanded.
“I needed to put a little pressure on Ms. Murphy,” he said.  “But you were never in any actual danger.  Do you honestly think it would take the Genoskwa more than a few seconds to crack even a skull so thick as yours?”  He smiled widely, clearly enjoying himself.  “Why, it was no more an attempt to kill you than was your participation in the little doctor a betrayal of Mab’s word that you would aid me.”
Damn it.  Nothing like a little pro-forma quid pro quo action.  By Mab’s reckoning, I was pretty sure Nicodemus and I had played this one out evenly.  My actions in protecting Butters could be explained as bad luck and sincere incompetence.  Nicodemus’ attempt to kill me could be explained as a ploy to destroy the sword.

I ground my teeth and said, “You attacked Murphy.”
“I warned you that I could not guarantee her safety,” he said in a reasonable tone.  “And in any case, she initiated the attack, if you recall.  And she’s not dead just yet.”  He showed me white teeth.  “I’d say that I’ve been more than reasonable, and so would your liege.”
Again, he was right.  By Mab’s reckoning, he was indeed a reasonable man.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:50:58 PM by DonBugen »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
Correction -- Harry doesn't say Mab would accept his version of events. He says his actions could be explained. If Harry is, indeed, there to do the explaining.

Do you think if Harry's dead, Nicodemus is going to share Harry's version of events?

Or is he going to say, "We've both seen him use deadly and precise magic to kill much stronger things in an instant. For hell's sake, we were in the snow and he's the Winter Knight, he was literally in his element at the height of your power, and his spell fails to kill a mere mortal that was already injured? If he didn't want to use magic, he also had a large handgun on him -- which he used to attack my associate instead. Failing either of those, he had a six-foot length of oak and supernatural strength that you granted to him. He could have hit the man once and caved in his skull. There are several ways that Dresden could have easily -- effortlessly, even -- killed the scrawny, mortal doctor, and he didn't, meaning he betrayed me."

You're really reading Nicodemus wrong here. He and Harry both know that Harry's "pursuit" is a complete sham. Nicodemus is saying, "My attempt to kill you was a ploy; just like you were really trying to kill Butters." He couldn't have made it clearer if he actually said, "Wink wink, nudge nudge."

Nicodemus is explicitly and directly likening his "ploy" story to the obviously false story that Harry was genuinely trying to kill Butters. He's reveling in telling Harry to his face that he's full of shit, and that Harry has to accept it.

That is an excellent argument if Karen had decided to appoint someone a Knight before CD, but not so much after. Karrin is Catholic, same as Michael. They both believe that the will of God should be followed. Their creed states that priests, bishops, and popes should be divinely ordained, as well as anyone else in that kind of high position. So why does she take up on herself the role and responsibility?

One would think that she would think that Michael would be a better choice to ordain the next bearer of the swords. Instead, she refuses to give up control and takes the role upon herself. And we see that the results are disastrous. I don't argue that she felt like she had the responsibility, but just because she felt like she had the responsibility didn't mean that she actually had it.
I find it hard to believe that Murphy never went to Michael for guidance on any of this. Hell, in Skin Game, her talks about Faith sound a lot like him.

Even if she didn't, she's bright enough to know that the Catholic Church is not, shall we say, as pristine and pure as it says it is.

Michael is out of the game. Neither Harry nor Murphy want to bring any more ire down on him or his family.

Bottom line, though, is that Murphy has the Swords because Harry entrusted them to her. She's executor of his Will, he told her where to find them, and he's not the least bit surprised when she has them in Ghost Story. All evidence points to her having the Swords because the friend that she loves and trusts felt that she should have them.

There were many levels of acceptance for using the coin. Remember? With each level, Harry got a little bit more power, and Lash got a little more control. Touching coin, Harry got the shadow, Lash got to communicate to Harry's subconscious, and some involuntary use of her power. Calling on that power voluntarily gave him direct communication with Lash,  the ability for him to be reasoned and argued with, and the access to her knowledge. It's true that in the case of the winter mantel, Harry is currently further along the path than he was with lash. But make no mistake, he has already made the choice and accepted the power in. Foot in the door. Lash admits that no one who had accepted to the level that he already had had remained uncorrupted. In the long- term, a mortal who held a coin has just as much chance to be corrupted as a mortal having the winter mantle: it's an almost certainty. That's why I think that there's a fundamental difference between Michael and Karrin in this case: Michael had faith that his friend wouldn't become corrupted. Karrin did not.
Don't forget that Michael told Harry to give up his magic to get rid of the Shadow. Michael did not have faith that Harry could overcome it on his own, otherwise he wouldn't have told him that was the only way.

And recall Small Favor, where Michael outright suspects that Harry's been subverted, and Harry has to force him into a, "Strike now, or forever keep your trap shut" moment to get him out of it.

Michael has a lot of faith in Harry, but in Small Favor we see that he's just as worried about Harry losing to the shadow as Murphy is -- and that's after the shadow is actually gone.

You say that now, but remember: we don't actually know what Nicodemus' long term plans actually are. Nick is an ends justify the means kind of person, and it's been very clear throughout all of his appearances that he running against a deadline against something gigantic. His daughter also says candidly that they believe that they're saving the world. In SF, one of the books in which I think that he's being the most upfront and honest, he really does try to persuade Dresden, and says that a lot of the job would actually be good.

I believe that at this point, he thinks that Lash has more influence over him and that he could be swayed. There's no reason to give Harry the coin of the temptress unless he actually intends to win him over to his court. I think that once he understands what Nick has been working towards, they will still be enemies. But he will, to an extent, understand why he went to such lengths. And that understanding can lead to empathy.
By on a personal level, I meant that Hannah's story is a lot like Harry's -- burned to death someone who meant to do him harm, suspected by the Wardens at every turn. Hannah just didn't have someone to intercede for her. Harry sees himself in Hannah. Harry doesn't see himself in Nicodemus.

Or rather, the bits of himself he sees in Nicodemus, he hates.

As for the issue of throwing the coin in Michael's yard, that wouldn't have done anything.

Nicodemus gives up the coin, and he's mortal. Mortals can walk right up to Michael's front door and set the place on fire. And as a mortal, Nicodemus can just walk right through that white picket fence, pick up the coin, and stroll back out.

Plus, while Murphy's stooping down to pick up the coin (barehanded? Meaning the fallen inside gets influence on her?), she's not holding the sword to Nic's throat as well, meaning that Nicodemus can easily disarm her.

The situation Murphy's in is extremely tenuous. The blade at Nicodemus's throat is the only leverage she has. Taking her attention off him is going to be enough time for him to turn the tables.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
OK, so if Nick is just holding out in order to get a chance of destroying a sword, which he didn’t even know would be in play until Karrin pulls it out, then what else is he holding out for after he puts Murphy down?  Why didn’t Nick say, “OK, Gen, now REALLY crush his skull.”?

Because Nic did know because Andriel sees and hears everything unless blocked or in very special places..  Now the actions of Butters did speed things up a bit, but make no mistake, Nic had Murphy's number and was going to set her up so a Sword could be broken..

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »

(quote)

Because like all bad guys, Nick is too busy gloating. He just destroy one of the holy sword, permanently or so he thinks, his eternal bane of existence is no more. He got good reason to gloat and cause addition emotional suffering for both Harry and Karrin while he is at it, which could grant denarians like him extra power if what is mentioned in book 5 has any truth.

(quote)
Nick can harm Karrin because Karrin attacked him, but she didn’t do so on Dresden’s orders.  Her actions and choices were her own.  And when Nick tells Harry to “call off your dog before I put her down” he tells him to end the little doctor and things can go back to normal.  Harry finds a way out by seemingly attempting to end Butters and failing, which is how they get into Nick’s next ploy.
(quote)

This is obviously wrong. By faerie custom, as Harry's + 1, Murphy's action is not only her own. In the eyes of faerie and Mab, Murphy is no different than Harry's staff.

If Nick can attack Murphy because Murphy attack him, he can attack Harry as well, because by faerie law Murphy attacking Nick is no different than Harry attacking Nick. Book 4 explain this rule explicitly.

(quote)
Um, let me re-phrase again.  Nick cannot just say whatever he wants afterwards and expect Mab to agree to his version of events and give him another Winter Knight.  And where is this “his nature is to say whatever he wants, even if it bites him in the ass later” thing coming from?  Nicodemus is a schemer and a plotter, every move he makes considers the likely consequences and long-term results of his actions.  Him killing Dresden and claiming that Dresden betrayed him, even though he offered Nick no violence, fought the stone lion, fired magic at a fleeing target and blasted said target with the same amount of kinetic force as a 55 MPH truck?  No.  Dresden stuck to the letter of the agreement.  Nick is in the same position that Harry is in later at Hades’ vault – if Nick wants to justly kill Dresden, he has to provoke Dresden to attack outright, which could not be misconstrued as anything other than a betrayal of the agreement.
(quote)

Nick does not need to say anything. If it come to a point where Nick need to explain himself to Mab, he already lost because you cannot outlawyer the Queen of winter.

Again, Murphy attacking Nick is Harry attacking Nick. In the eyes of faerie, Murphy is a non entity. She is just Harry's tool, nothing more.

By the time Harry forzare Butters to safety, the deal is broken beyond doubt.

(quote)
I disagree; if the truce was truly broken at this point, then why would Harry have phrased his attack by saying first, “Sorry, Butters, nothing personal” before blasting him in the chest?  Directly before this, Nick does not call for Harry to surrender Butters; he calls for him to end him.  Forzare is primarily used as an attack spell.  Dresden and Mab can certainly lawyer that Harry did attempt to end Butters; he just did a particularly incompetent job of it.  The reason that everything moved when it did was because Nick suddenly lost one point of leverage, and needed to gain another – instead of threatening Butters’ life, he threatens Harry’s.
(quote)

Harry say that to make sure Nick can't prevent his move. Doing what he did, Harry knew he is breaking Mab words and he and Murphy will be in danger, but if Nick caught on to it, even Butters might fail to escape the net. Better 2 in danger rather than 3.

You need to understand the fae. Mab is a creature of absolute. She  does not care about the process. She doesn't need explanations or excuses, she wants result.

Her orders are for Harry to help Nicodemous. Nicodemous ordered Harry to end Butters. As long as Butters is ended everything will be fine or else.

The reason why Harry could fain incompetence before is because Nick does not gave him any direct order. When Butters is discovered, Nick and the Genoskwa immedietly went for the chase. There is no instruction for Harry. So as long as Harry is not caught red handed, he can do a lot of monkey business.

Things are different when Harry and Butters is caught red handed in front of Michael's home. Nick gave Harry a direct order and he refuse.

It is the "bring me a coke" order Harry gave to cat sith in book 14. The coke can be hot, it can be poisoned, it can have a bomb attach to it, but the coke must be brought to Harry. Butters must die or Harry will be breaking Mab's promise.

Since Butters did not die and there is nothing else can be done to change the circumstances, there must be compensation, there is a price to be paid. It could be Harry's wintery crusifiction or death or it ought to be, but Michael intervened and offered something else in exchange and Nick accept it.

Whether or not Nick knew about Murphy bringing fid is not truly important. Whether or not fid is the real target is not important either. What is important that the appearance of fid in front of Nick is enough to distract Nick. If Nick does not need Harry alive in order to unbalance Murphy, Nick probably would just kill Harry out of hand. not to mention Murphy will be free to smite him down if the Genoswa really kill Harry. No, until fid is disarm and no longer a threat, Harry cannot be killed or Nick himself will be in danger.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:06:32 PM by huangjimmy108 »

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »
Do you think if Harry's dead, Nicodemus is going to share Harry's version of events?
  I think it doesn’t much matter if Harry’s dead or alive; even if Nick kills everyone, he’s not the only witness.  As I said, Mab has many servants with eyes open in the mortal world, not to mention the fact that she herself is likely keeping tabs on the operation.  Why else is it that Dresden considers the vault to be literally the only place that Nick could double-cross him without word spreading?

Mab has a vested interest in screwing Nick over; I don’t believe that she would just take Nick’s word at heart and swap in another winter goon.  That would pretty much ensure that Nick would walk out with all holy artifacts.  In the event of Harry’s death, it’s Mab’s word against Nicodemus’, and Mab’s perception that matters.

I find it hard to believe that Murphy never went to Michael for guidance on any of this. Hell, in Skin Game, her talks about Faith sound a lot like him.

Even if she didn't, she's bright enough to know that the Catholic Church is not, shall we say, as pristine and pure as it says it is.

Michael is out of the game. Neither Harry nor Murphy want to bring any more ire down on him or his family.

Bottom line, though, is that Murphy has the Swords because Harry entrusted them to her. She's executor of his Will, he told her where to find them, and he's not the least bit surprised when she has them in Ghost Story. All evidence points to her having the Swords because the friend that she loves and trusts felt that she should have them.
First – yes, her talk about having faith and deciding to not be afraid that her friends will turn into monsters does sound like Michael.  Why isn’t she taking her own advice?  If she’s not going to live in fear that Dresden will turn into a monster, then why is she still self-appointed custodian?

Second – the Catholic Church has nothing to do with this.  The point is that their creed believes that people given authority are ordained by God.  Regardless of how corrupt or not corrupt the church is, Murphy believes in the power behind it, which is why she shouldn’t have self-appointed herself.

Third – by hiding the swords at Michael’s, she’s made him in the game.  Pure and simple.

Bottom line – whether Harry entrusted the swords to her in his will or not, he’s not dead anymore.  He’s very much alive, and she claims that having faith and trust in Dresden is the very thing that he needs most, and that she’s decided not to be afraid that he might turn into a monster.

Michael has a lot of faith in Harry, but in Small Favor we see that he's just as worried about Harry losing to the shadow as Murphy is -- and that's after the shadow is actually gone.
  Absolutely!  And this is the beauty of the entire situation.  We know that Michael’s fear is completely misplaced.  We know that Michael fears that his friend might have succumbed to the darkness.  Dresden calls him out on it, and Michael decides to trust in and have faith in his friend.  It’s a beautiful moment in this, because Harry asks Michael to trust him as he literally seems to be about to give the swords away to the Denarians.  And Michael decides to trust his friend and have faith.

I think this is part of the reason why later on, Michael outright laughs at Harry’s fear of descending into darkness, reminding him that he’s “pathologically unable to know when to quit.”  Michael’s been down the same road as Karrin and has grown in faith and character.  If Karrin’s talk about faith did come from Michael, this is likely why – because he’s been there.  He knows what she’s afraid of.

As for the issue of throwing the coin in Michael's yard, that wouldn't have done anything.

Nicodemus gives up the coin, and he's mortal. Mortals can walk right up to Michael's front door and set the place on fire. And as a mortal, Nicodemus can just walk right through that white picket fence, pick up the coin, and stroll back out.

Even assuming that a blackened Denarius containing a Fallen wouldn’t trigger some sort of response from the guardian angels – something that I find surprising, considering the being inside it and the danger that a Denarius represents to any mortal – how do you figure that Nick can retrieve it as simply as that?  Stroll in, sure.  The second he touches it, he’s a Knight of the Blackened Denarius again, who has Anduriel working through him to influence the physical world.  A millisecond later, he’s a Knight of the Blackened Ash Pile on the Front Steps.  And if he goes and retrieves it without touching the coin, he’s essentially defenseless and proving that he isn’t relinquishing the coin.

Why else does Harry consider Michael’s house to be the best place in the city to go to for shelter from fallen angels?  Harry comes to the conclusion that Butters must be going to Michael’s house before he figures out that the swords are there.  If the angelic sentry doesn’t provide protection, then Butters is far better off going to a public location – possibly holy ground at Saint Mary of the Angels, rather than a house full of innocent, vulnerable children.

Plus, while Murphy's stooping down to pick up the coin (barehanded? Meaning the fallen inside gets influence on her?), she's not holding the sword to Nic's throat as well, meaning that Nicodemus can easily disarm her.
Come on.  Murphy is the Dresden Files’ Batman; a mortal who holds her own through smarts, competence, and planning for every eventuality.  You think she brought a Sword along to kill Denarians and would have forgotten to bring something to grab the coin that topples out?  Ten to one that if she’s not wearing leather gloves (I mean, it is winter, and the book doesn’t describe her hands) that she’s at least got a run-of-the-mill handkerchief or ziplock bag in her pocket.  It would be out of character for Karrin to not plan for this.

Going from a two-handed to the weaker one-handed grip (and yes, a katana can be held and fought with one-handed), reaching her other hand in her pocket to retrieve a handkerchief, crouching and retrieving the coin while still holding the sword to Nick and not taking her eyes off of him, does still compromise her attention and position.  This is true.  But if Nick acts in sudden aggression or acts to retrieve the coin, then he’s no longer surrendered and Karrin can strike.  Then he’s standing there with no noose on his neck, possibly no coin, facing a sword that can literally end him.  This is not a better position.  Yes, he could possibly turn the tables, but that’s by no means a sure thing – and in that case, she just merely has another trap with another choice.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2017, 11:48:58 PM »
Denarian skinwalker and leader of the black council? It was all Nemesis. Murphy never existed.
Wrong.  NEMESIS never existed.  It was all Murphy, using that to cover up her evil deeds, like her long term plan to destroy a Sword, by doing exactly what Harry told her to do!