Author Topic: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)  (Read 72740 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy in Peace Talks (WoJ spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
Positions were way different. Both of them were rulers, and rulers don't tend to be questioned or looked at too closely by their followers. How many kings and queens get away with all kinds of outlandish shit because they're wearing the crown and will smite anyone who questions what they're doing?

The people who would know what to look for (Mab and Titania) did know that something was wrong because they were acting wrong.
They were princesses, not Rulers.  Mab and Titania both didnt twig to any problem until it was way too late. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
OK, I think I had a bit of a misconception on what the Brighter Future Society really is.  I had thought it was an organization of Marcone’s dedicated to keeping Marcone’s interests safe from supernatural interference, and that they were part of the greater Chicago Alliance.  Karrin basically works through the BFS, and Butters states that the two of them are part of it, so I had thought that Karrin eventually changed her mind and went on Marcone’s payroll.  It’s not like she has another employer or anything, and I doubt she’s getting by well on savings and what little comes from the half-pension she was able to get.  Everyone else we see in the BFS (basically all the einherjar) is being paid by Marcone to be there, so why not her?

However, when Bob mentions that the BFS provides daycare, Butters does mention that members have jobs.  Butters also still works in the Forensic Institute.  So no – Karrin might be a member of the BFS, might work with Marcone and his crew, might even ally with them.  But as she’s not an employee, she’s not beholden to him, and is only part of his organization on an auxiliary level.  It’s not nothing, but it doesn’t carry with it the same level of indebtedness.  It also, presumably, doesn’t carry with it the same level of protection that Marcone would offer any of his loyal employees.

So that's one less way that Karrin's changed recently.  While I'm not denying that she still could be under some sort of influence, it seems far less likely.

I blame John Glover.  I don’t listen to Ghost Story half as much as the rest.

Quantus:  Mab noticed the problem between four and six years before Cold Days, and just couldn't do anything about it as her knight was on ice.  And Titania wouldn't necessarily have noticed simply because she probably doesn't have that much interaction with the Winter Lady.  That being said, Nemesis is acknowledged as being incredibly difficult to really tell for certain.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
OK, I think I had a bit of a misconception on what the Brighter Future Society really is.  I had thought it was an organization of Marcone’s dedicated to keeping Marcone’s interests safe from supernatural interference, and that they were part of the greater Chicago Alliance.  Karrin basically works through the BFS, and Butters states that the two of them are part of it, so I had thought that Karrin eventually changed her mind and went on Marcone’s payroll.  It’s not like she has another employer or anything, and I doubt she’s getting by well on savings and what little comes from the half-pension she was able to get.  Everyone else we see in the BFS (basically all the einherjar) is being paid by Marcone to be there, so why not her?

However, when Bob mentions that the BFS provides daycare, Butters does mention that members have jobs.  Butters also still works in the Forensic Institute.  So no – Karrin might be a member of the BFS, might work with Marcone and his crew, might even ally with them.  But as she’s not an employee, she’s not beholden to him, and is only part of his organization on an auxiliary level.  It’s not nothing, but it doesn’t carry with it the same level of indebtedness.  It also, presumably, doesn’t carry with it the same level of protection that Marcone would offer any of his loyal employees.

So that's one less way that Karrin's changed recently.  While I'm not denying that she still could be under some sort of influence, it seems far less likely.
The scene that really clarified the structure of the BFS for me was the meeting at Murphy's house.  BFS membership seemed to include the White Court, the Paranet, Marcone, and the more nebulously defined Scooby Gang (Not sure if Forthill is acting as a Church rep or simply personal support). Murphy's main role seems to be the organizing force, the one with connections to all the others.  Marcone is provides a lot of the money and so is the Patron (whenever Lara is not, Im guessing), but Murphy seems to lead the coalition. 
I blame John Glover.  I don’t listen to Ghost Story half as much as the rest.
You've heard they re-recorded it with Marsters, yes?

Quantus:  Mab noticed the problem between four and six years before Cold Days, and just couldn't do anything about it as her knight was on ice.  And Titania wouldn't necessarily have noticed simply because she probably doesn't have that much interaction with the Winter Lady.  That being said, Nemesis is acknowledged as being incredibly difficult to really tell for certain.
Mab also didnt notice it until several years after the initial Infection and after she already knew it had infiltrated the top of her court in Lea.  Titania was apparently fairly close to Aurora, and best evidence puts her nemfection at GP timeframe at the latest.  That's still a good bit of time, enough to say that the Nemfected are reasonably talented infiltrators.  Maeve was the low-end but she was a bit drunk on her new Deception Superpower. 

And fwiw, Mab did not at all /need/ her Knight to deal with Maeve, she simply didnt want to have to do it personally.  She only /needs/ to use her Knight when attacking somebody entirely unaffiliated with the Courts.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Mira, her bringing the Sword along has absolutely nothing to do with her not trusting Harry.

Actually it did because she lied to him.  You don't lie to people you trust.   He wanted a Knight and a Sword along, she said she couldn't be a Knight for some very good reasons, but she also said it wasn't up to him anymore to find someone, because she was custodian now..  Then she took it upon herself to decide, take the Sword anyway in spite of the danger she knowingly put it in feeling the way she did, and said nothing to him about it. You may not think so, but I my mind that is total lack of trust.. Whether it came from her own insecurity or arrogance or what, she didn't ask his opinion of whether or not she should ignore her true feelings and bring it along anyway..  She either didn't trust his judgement over her own, or didn't want to hear it...
Agreeing to walk into Hades with him? That is trusting Harry.

Yes, no one is arguing against that... However choosing to do it her way not leveling with Harry that she was willing to put a Holy Sword as risk given how she felt... Says she didn't trust Harry to agree with her after what she said about not going along with the creed of the Holy Knights and wielding a Holy Sword..  In other words, she thought she knew better than Harry... That is trust my friend, if I think I know better than you do, that says I don't fully trust your judgement..  Her love of Harry may have motivated her willingness to follow him into Hades, but her lack of trust in his judgement got a Sword broken..
Agreeing to do so even when it means walking alongside Nicodemus? That is trusting Harry.

Again,  she thought she knew better than Harry, she kept important information from him... You don't do that with people you fully trust..  And in the process she made him feel really rotten about himself...
Those are the pertinent actions she takes in Skin Game. Her bringing and using the Sword has nothing to do with trust.
Wrong, everything to do with trust...  As a result the mission almost didn't come off because Murphy put more trust in her judgement than Harry's...  1] She tells him why she cannot be a Knight and wield a Sword.. 2] She tells him he isn't in charge of the Swords anymore, she is, which wasn't true.. 3] Because she says this to him he has to alter his plans for the mission not knowing she is bringing the Sword anyway..   It could be she merely lost perspective the last couple of years because of what both of them have went through... But it could also be a throw back to the Murphy we used to know in the earlier books, the cop that worked with but didn't fully trust Harry..  She came to trust him, but so much about him has changed since Changes, you might take Murphy out of the police force, but you cannot take the cop out of Murphy.. Yes, she loves him so says she trusts him fully, but there elements of Harry's life now that make the cop in Murphy raise an eyebrow and not fully trust, in spite of herself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:57:35 PM by Mira »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
They were princesses, not Rulers.  Mab and Titania both didnt twig to any problem until it was way too late.
Princesses with their own personal courts and retinues. Princes and princesses get away with just as much, if not more, crazy bullshit as their parents might (see: Joffrey), so the point still stands.

And as pointed out, Mab knew years before Cold Days. Titania admits in Cold Days to having known something needed to be done about Aurora.

Actually it did because she lied to him.  You don't lie to people you trust.   He wanted a Knight and a Sword along, she said she couldn't be a Knight for some very good reasons, but she also said it wasn't up to him anymore to find someone, because she was custodian now..  Then she took it upon herself to decide, take the Sword anyway in spite of the danger she knowingly put it in feeling the way she did, and said nothing to him about it. You may not think so, but I my mind that is total lack of trust.. Whether it came from her own insecurity or arrogance or what, she didn't ask his opinion of whether or not she should ignore her true feelings and bring it along anyway..  She either didn't trust his judgement over her own, or didn't want to hear it...
She said nothing to him about it because she's smart enough to realize that someone is listening. Why else would Harry not give her information when they're talking in the privacy of her own, warded home?

She doesn't think that Harry doesn't trust her. Harry wouldn't be asking her to be his second if he didn't trust her. So she knows that his silence isn't about her -- the only logical conclusion there is that someone else might be listening in.

Harry has a secret trump card that he doesn't tell her about, and yet you're not talking about Harry's lack of trust in her. Why is that?

Yes, no one is arguing against that... However choosing to do it her way not leveling with Harry that she was willing to put a Holy Sword as risk given how she felt... Says she didn't trust Harry to agree with her after what she said about not going along with the creed of the Holy Knights and wielding a Holy Sword..  In other words, she thought she knew better than Harry... That is trust my friend, if I think I know better than you do, that says I don't fully trust your judgement..  Her love of Harry may have motivated her willingness to follow him into Hades, but her lack of trust in his judgement got a Sword broken..
Again: Nothing to do with her not trusting Harry. Especially since her actions were exactly what Harry asked her to do in the first place. The whole "thought she knew better than Harry" idea simply is not evidenced in text of the books.

I mean, is this what you think went through Murphy's head? "Harry doesn't know what he's doing, asking me to bring a Sword. I'll show him I know better -- by bringing the Sword exactly like he asked me to do!"

Again,  she thought she knew better than Harry, she kept important information from him... You don't do that with people you fully trust..  And in the process she made him feel really rotten about himself...
You're attributing motivations to Murphy that are not in evidence in the book.

Wrong, everything to do with trust...  As a result the mission almost didn't come off because Murphy put more trust in her judgement than Harry's...
I think you misspelled "Butters" there.

Mira, please answer this question directly: Why do you constantly come down on Murphy for not trusting Dresden, without ever even acknowledging that Butters' clear, explicit distrust in Dresden created the situation in the first place?

Is placing a secret tracking bug somehow more a sign of trust than agreeing to go with Dresden knowing he's not giving you information and putting your life in his hands?

1] She tells him why she cannot be a Knight and wield a Sword..
Nope. She tells him why she isn't planning to bring a Sword. She never says she "cannot" be a Knight and wield a Sword, just that she doesn't want to save the Denarians.

2] She tells him he isn't in charge of the Swords anymore, she is, which wasn't true..
Then why does Harry not protest it? Why does Harry ask her instead of trying to assert his authority? Why does Harry never object to the idea of her having the Swords? The one time he does, she points out that he's not in the right frame of mind and Harry explicitly acknowledges that she is correct.

Please provide a quote of someone who says she's not supposed to have the Swords. You have been pushing that argument for years and have not once been able to provide an example of anyone actually saying so.

3] Because she says this to him he has to alter his plans for the mission not knowing she is bringing the Sword anyway..
Harry asks about the Swords only after they're at the meeting place. That's a little late for him to "alter his plans," and when he came to ask Murphy for help, he came to ask Murphy for help. The conversation in which he recruits her does not include discussion about her bringing the Sword.

It could be she merely lost perspective the last couple of years because of what both of them have went through... But it could also be a throw back to the Murphy we used to know in the earlier books, the cop that worked with but didn't fully trust Harry..  She came to trust him, but so much about him has changed since Changes, you might take Murphy out of the police force, but you cannot take the cop out of Murphy..
Murphy has clearly changed since those first books, especially in her view toward Dresden. I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge that.

Yes, she loves him so says she trusts him fully, but there elements of Harry's life now that make the cop in Murphy raise an eyebrow and not fully trust, in spite of herself.
She doesn't have to say she trusts him fully.

Her actions throughout both Cold Days and Skin Game show conclusively that she absolutely does trust him fully. The idea that she doesn't is not evidenced in the books.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:45:45 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
You've heard they re-recorded it with Marsters, yes?

Well, yeah, and I have it thanks to Audible – but I’ve been listening to Glover for so long that I’ve become conflicted.  Glover can’t Fuego worth crap, but his Sir Stuart and Morty are far superior to Marsters’.

Ghost Story is just my least favorite Dresden novel, and it honestly it has nothing to do with Glover.  Storm Front and Fool Moon, awkward as they were, at least had Harry acting as a PI in it.  Ghost Story is just a strange, surreal mope-fest with a completely alien Chicago.  There are bits and pieces that I love and will come back to – mostly, the interactions with Uriel and Chicago Between and all scenes with Morty.  But I can’t stand Dresden’s constant mental beating of himself, and the Fitz B-plot just doesn’t impact the main story in any meaningful way.

Then why does Harry not protest it? Why does Harry ask her instead of trying to assert his authority? Why does Harry never object to the idea of her having the Swords? The one time he does, she points out that he's not in the right frame of mind and Harry explicitly acknowledges that she is correct.

Please provide a quote of someone who says she's not supposed to have the Swords. You have been pushing that argument for years and have not once been able to provide an example of anyone actually saying so.
I’ll actually do that.  Karrin says that she’s found where he’s hidden the swords and took them, which she did against his will.  Technically theft, either against the still-technically-alive Dresden or his next-of-kin.  She then tells him that she will not surrender them under any circumstances and won’t say where they are.  And Dresden is furious, far angrier than he was when Karrin asks him to surrender Bob. 
"I’m not telling you where they are.  I’m not giving them back to you.  I’m not negotiating."
I exhaled slowly.  A slow, hard anger rolled to a knot in my guts.  “Those were my responsibility.”
“They were,” she said.  There was something absolutely rigid in her blue eyes.  “Not anymore.”
Karrin holds the swords hostage, and refuses to give her trust or loyalty to Dresden unless he gives in to her demands.  Her actions are brutal, emotionally manipulative, and both prey upon and enforce Dresden’s doubt, shame, and guilt – something that he doesn’t get over until he gets real trust from Michael in Skin Game.  Karrin wavers around with her trust issues; Michael laughs at the thought that Harry even really could turn bad.  Michael has ten times the trust in Harry than Karrin does.

She seemed to understand what I was going through.  She didn’t push me.  She just held my hands and waited until my breathing steadied.  “Harry,” she said quietly.  “Do you want my trust?”
I nodded tightly, not trusting myself to speak.
“Then you’re going to have to give me some.  I’m on your side.  I’m trying to help you.  Let it go.”
I shuddered.  “OK,” I said.

Dresden doesn’t want to give Karrin the swords, but because of Karrin’s mistrust in him he believes that he just can’t be trusted at all.  That is NOT trust.  That is actually a toxic situation.  Karrin can literally demand whatever she want.  Karrin does exactly the same thing in Cold Days as Butters does in Skin Game:  dumps all of her fears and insecurities on Dresden and expects him to conform to her idea of what he *should* be.  Karrin is not in a good place in Cold Days, and because she’s one of the people that Dresden loves and cares for most, it really harms him.

Michael sets things right at the end of Skin Game.  He calls things for what they are, and asserts that Karrin wasn’t called to be a custodian of the swords.  He gives his sword back to Harry for safekeeping, asserting that Harry is the right person for the job.  And his REAL trust in Dresden is what finally makes Harry choose, at the end, to have faith in himself.  It's what finally convinces him that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and that it's possible that he could actually withstand Mab's influence and not turn into a monster.

“Because I did such an amazing job the last time around?”
“Actually,” Michael said, “You did an excellent job.  You defended the swords from those who would try to claim them.  And you issued them to people who would use them well.”
“Murphy didn’t,” I said quietly.  “I mean, I know it worked out in the end, but my judgment was obviously in error.“
“But you didn’t call her to be a true Knight,” Michael said.  You entrusted her with the sword for one purpose: to help you save your little girl from Chichen Itza.  She appointed herself the swords’ keeper after you apparently died.  And this morning, you gave the Sword of Faith to the right person at the right time.”
“That was an accident.”
“I don’t believe in accidents,” Michael said.  “Not where the swords are concerned.”
This is another reason that I think that there’s something going on here.  You call this love and trust.  I call this abuse and manipulation.  I’m sorry, but I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em.  Just because Karrin thinks she’s being the swords’ custodian out of concern for the Swords and what they represent and out of care for Harry doesn’t make it so.  Karrin appointed herself custodian of the swords out of fear of what Dresden might turn into and manipulated Harry into believing the same.  And Harry would have been a lot better off if Karrin would have just shown him support, rather than demonstrating that she didn’t think he could be trusted.

So, to answer your questions:  Then why does Harry not protest it? He does, loudly, angrily, and gets stonewalled.  Why does Harry ask her instead of trying to assert his authority? Because he's in complete guilt and doubt - something that's a theme of Skin Game, as alluded to in its very first sentences.  Why does Harry never object to the idea of her having the Swords? Because Karrin's convinced him that she's in a much better place to make these judgments than he is, and Harry believes her when she shows her mistrust in him.  The one time he does, she points out that he's not in the right frame of mind and Harry explicitly acknowledges that she is correct.  Yes, and he chooses to believe his own fears and the doubts and fears of those closest to him, rather than the word and trust from agents of a being who is arguably infinitely beneficent and omniscient.  In other words:  Harry was WRONG to doubt that he could be custodian of the swords.  And Karrin was the one who manipulated him into that conclusion.  He would never have reached it by himself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:04:34 PM by DonBugen »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
She said nothing to him about it because she's smart enough to realize that someone is listening. Why else would Harry not give her information when they're talking in the privacy of her own, warded home?

But not smart enough by that logic to realize that that same person will know about her concealing the Holy Sword and how she really felt about it and set her up...   So she isn't that smart, or she lacked trust in Harry.
Again: Nothing to do with her not trusting Harry. Especially since her actions were exactly what Harry asked her to do in the first place. The whole "thought she knew better than Harry" idea simply is not evidenced in text of the books.
But then why argue about what a bad idea it was?  Why not tell Harry what she planned to do... Hey carrying a Holy Sword on this kind of mission is all about open carry, not permitted concealment...
Harry has a secret trump card that he doesn't tell her about, and yet you're not talking about Harry's lack of trust in her. Why is that?
Um, you know perfectly well why....  If they had been on Demonreach, or if Mab had been there to do her thing, he may have told her.   At least he was up front telling her there were things he could not tell her..  Need to know, Murphy didn't need to know, plus as you say her place wasn't secure... 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
I’ll actually do that.  Karrin says that she’s found where he’s hidden the swords and took them, which she did against his will.  Technically theft, either against the still-technically-alive Dresden or his next-of-kin.  She then tells him that she will not surrender them under any circumstances and won’t say where they are.  And Dresden is furious, far angrier than he was when Karrin asks him to surrender Bob.  Karrin holds the swords hostage, and refuses to give her trust or loyalty to Dresden unless he gives in to her demands.  Her actions are brutal, emotionally manipulative, and both prey upon and enforce Dresden’s doubt, shame, and guilt – something that he doesn’t get over until he gets real trust from Michael in Skin Game.  Karrin wavers around with her trust issues; Michael laughs at the thought that Harry even really could turn bad.  Michael has ten times the trust in Harry than Karrin does.
You're looking at two different times in Harry's life.

When Karrin is talking about the Swords in Cold Days, yes, Harry is furious with her -- out of character levels of furious, and comes to within inches of smashing her skull in. That is why she doesn't give up the Swords, because she can recognize that he is not in a place at that point in time that the Swords would be safe with him. When he stops and thinks, Harry recognizes that too, and does not further protest.

Murphy isn't saying, "I'll only trust you if you accede to my demands." She's saying, "The last time we spoke, you told me Mab was going to turn you into a monster. You're acting suspiciously un-Harry-like. Before I trust you, I need to see proof that you're not the monster you explicitly told me you were going to become last time we talked, and show that you're still worthy of that trust."

Michael, however, only sees Harry again after Harry has spent a year and change mastering the Mantle. Michael talks to a Harry who is not on the verge of murdering and raping his friends and long-time allies for perceived slights.

Remember in Changes that Harry explicitly and directly asks Murphy to see to his effects and his will. You don't think the Swords were part of that?

“If . . . Look. I have a will in a lockbox at the National Bank on
Michigan. If something should happen to me . . . I’d appreciate it if
you’d see to it. You’re on the list of people who can open it. Listed
as executor.”
“Harry,” she said.
“Granted, there’s not much to have a will about at the moment,” I
said. “Everything was in my house or office, but . . . there are some
intangibles and . . .” I felt my throat tighten, and cut short my
request. “Take care of it for me?”

The Paranet Papers (which takes place post Ghost Story) explicitly names Murphy as executor of his will and that he entrusted her with the Swords. And note that Ghost Story that Harry is not in the least bit surprised that Murphy has the Swords -- almost as if he already knew and expected that she'd have them. I wonder why.

A dead silence settled on the room, into which Sir Stuart asked
me, conversationally, “Which swords?”
“The Swords of the Cross,” I said quietly, out of habit—I could
have sung it operatically without anyone there noticing. “The ones
with the nails from the Crucifixion worked into them.”
“Yeah,” I said, deadpan. “The little blond woman has two of
them.”
“Oh, my,” Sir Stuart said, his voice muted with respect. “I can
see why you’d come to her for assistance.”
“Damn skippy,” I agreed. “Better go get Morty while she’s still in
a good mood.”
Yeah, that sure sounds like a Harry that didn't think Murphy should have the Swords. You can just feel the shock and outrage at her audacity in his words and description, can't you?

Note also at the end of Changes that Harry only tells Murphy where they are. He explicitly tells her that the Sword is in the boat if she wants it. He didn't tell anyone else this. Do you think Harry expected and wanted the Swords to just sit in the boat, unguarded?

Dresden doesn’t want to give Karrin the swords, but because of Karrin’s mistrust in him he believes that he just can’t be trusted at all.  That is NOT trust.  That is actually a toxic situation.  Karrin can literally demand whatever she want.  Karrin does exactly the same thing in Cold Days as Butters does in Skin Game:  dumps all of her fears and insecurities on Dresden and expects him to conform to her idea of what he *should* be.  Karrin is not in a good place in Cold Days, and because she’s one of the people that Dresden loves and cares for most, it really harms him.
No, he believes he can't be trusted with the Swords because his instant reaction to her calm refusal was to punch the wall next to her head before he even realized what he was doing.

You talk about Murphy being in a bad place in Cold Days -- are you ignoring that Harry has the Mantle hammering his "Murder/Rape/Murderrape" button the entire book?

Do you really think the person holding the Swords should be someone who has to make a concentrated, conscious effort to keep himself from smashing one of his best friends' heads in just because she calmly refused a request of his?

Michael sets things right at the end of Skin Game.  He calls things for what they are, and asserts that Karrin wasn’t called to be a custodian of the swords.  He gives his sword back to Harry for safekeeping, asserting that Harry is the right person for the job.  And his REAL trust in Dresden is what finally makes Harry choose, at the end, to have faith in himself.  It's what finally convinces him that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and that it's possible that he could actually withstand Mab's influence and not turn into a monster.
Michael doesn't say she wasn't supposed to be Custodian -- just that she appointed herself. He never says she was wrong to take them. And, again, Michael did not see Harry during Cold Days.

I think if Michael saw a Harry who was a hair's breadth from raping his daughter and Andi and who had to physically hold himself back from smashing Murphy's head in for having the audacity to say no to him, he might say something different.

Harry changes a lot between the two books. Harry in Skin Game is much more in control and much closer to his Pre-Changes self than he is in Cold Days.

While we're on the subject of Michael and his flawless and always-entirely-correct assessment of people, what does he have to say about Murphy in Skin Game, when Harry says he's bringing her along? He says "Good!" and thumps his beer on the table for extra emphasis, and continues to say she has both brains and heart.

So if we're going to take Michael's word as, for lack of better word, gospel when it comes to the disposition of the Swords, are we going to dismiss what he has to say about Murphy personally?

This is another reason that I think that there’s something going on here.  You call this love and trust.  I call this abuse and manipulation.  I’m sorry, but I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em.  Just because Karrin thinks she’s being the swords’ custodian out of concern for the Swords and what they represent and out of care for Harry doesn’t make it so.  Karrin appointed herself custodian of the swords out of fear of what Dresden might turn into and manipulated Harry into believing the same.  And Harry would have been a lot better off if Karrin would have just shown him support, rather than demonstrating that she didn’t think he could be trusted.
You're either forgetting or ignoring Harry's state during Cold Days.

She didn't appoint herself custodian out of fear of Dresden (even if we accept the highly unlikely premise that Harry didn't say anything at all to her about the Swords, she "appointed herself" when Harry was dead and she didn't know he was coming back), and she didn't "manipulate" Harry into believing anything -- Harry was already scared of what he would become under the Mantle, and he realized, "Hey, I almost just smashed Murphy's head in. Maybe I shouldn't be the person who's guarding three of the most important artifacts on Earth."

There is exactly one time when we're given any kind of explicit opinion on who should keep a Sword or not that isn't just, "You will know what to do," and handily, it comes from one of the Knights:
Wordlessly, he offered me Amoracchius. I stared at the Sword
for a moment.
“I’m not so sure I should have that,” I said.
“If you were,” he said, “I wouldn’t want you to have it. Uriel placed
it in your care. If he wanted it moved, he should say so.”

So, Sanya says if Harry was "sure" he should have the Swords, Sanya wouldn't want him to have them.

In Cold Days, Harry is damn sure he should have the Swords.

Harry is expressing the exact criteria under which Sanya said he would not want Harry to have the Swords.

But not smart enough by that logic to realize that that same person will know about her concealing the Holy Sword and how she really felt about it and set her up...   So she isn't that smart, or she lacked trust in Harry.
What? There is nothing in that sentence that logically points to her not trusting Harry.

Please tell me how her saying "I'm not bringing a Sword," translates into "I'm concealing a Sword" to Nicodemus -- who, again, explicitly says he wasn't sure if she'd brought it along.

Please tell me how openly admitting she had the Sword would have somehow not allowed Nicodemus to manipulate her into breaking it. Hell, it would've been easier if he'd known for certain that she had it.

But then why argue about what a bad idea it was?  Why not tell Harry what she planned to do... Hey carrying a Holy Sword on this kind of mission is all about open carry, not permitted concealment...
Who says that? Where are the rules written down? Or is Michael breaking those rules when he carries the Sword in a duffelbag? Or Shiro, when he conceals his Sword in a cane?

You seem to be pretty darn sure about a lot of the rules about wielding or holding a Sword. Care to tell us where you're getting this information? And why that information is directly contradicting how we've seen full-time Knights conceal their Swords, even when on official business?

Um, you know perfectly well why....  If they had been on Demonreach, or if Mab had been there to do her thing, he may have told her.   At least he was up front telling her there were things he could not tell her..  Need to know, Murphy didn't need to know, plus as you say her place wasn't secure... 
All of those things apply to Murphy as well as they do to Dresden.

If they had been on Demonreach, or if Mab had been there to do her thing, Murphy may have told him.

As for Harry being up front, he only told her there was something he couldn't tell her after she directly asked him about the missing three hours. If Murphy hadn't asked, Harry wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

So again: Why does Harry get a pass for hiding things from Murphy, but Murphy hiding something from Harry for the exact same reasons means she distrusts him?

And there's one other question in my post that you didn't answer, Mira.

Mira, please answer this question directly: Why do you constantly come down on Murphy for not trusting Dresden, without ever even acknowledging that Butters' clear, explicit distrust in Dresden created the situation in the first place?

Is placing a secret tracking bug somehow more a sign of trust than agreeing to go with Dresden knowing he's not giving you information and putting your life in his hands?

Please answer that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:37:11 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
So, to answer your questions:
Again, this all completely ignores Harry's mindset, and attributes actions and motivations to Murphy that are completely wrong and not presented by anything in the books.

You're acting like Murphy somehow is the only reason that Harry thinks he can become a monster, when Harry is the one who has been saying exactly that about Mab for several books.

Again, I refer you to Sanya's words: If Harry was sure he should have the Swords, then he shouldn't have the Swords.

You're arguing that someone who is on the verge of physical violence against one of his closest, oldest friends for a perceived slight about what that someone is "entitled" to is the kind of person who should have the Swords, when the books make it clear that the exact opposite is the case.

But one by one...

Then why does Harry not protest it? He does, loudly, angrily, and gets stonewalled.
So in your opinion, loudly and angrily attacking someone to get what you want is the correct behavior for a Custodian of the Swords? Do you believe Buzz in The Warrior was right to do so against Dresden, then?

Why does Harry ask her instead of trying to assert his authority? Because he's in complete guilt and doubt - something that's a theme of Skin Game, as alluded to in its very first sentences.
What in his manner and words in that conversation expresses guilt and doubt? It reads to me a lot more like he simply accepted that she was right.

Why does Harry never object to the idea of her having the Swords? Because Karrin's convinced him that she's in a much better place to make these judgments than he is, and Harry believes her when she shows her mistrust in him.
You're painting her as some kind of manipulator, which plainly is not the case. I mean, read the Cold Days conversation again. Her "convincing" amounts mostly to standing there silently while Harry works things out in his own mind.

The one time he does, she points out that he's not in the right frame of mind and Harry explicitly acknowledges that she is correct.  Yes, and he chooses to believe his own fears and the doubts and fears of those closest to him, rather than the word and trust from agents of a being who is arguably infinitely beneficent and omniscient.  In other words:  Harry was WRONG to doubt that he could be custodian of the swords.  And Karrin was the one who manipulated him into that conclusion.  He would never have reached it by himself.
Again, the "word and trust" of Michael comes more than a year later. More than a year of explicitly mastering the Mantle later. It does not come when Harry is on the verge of raping Molly and Andi just because they sassed back to him and happened to be weakened, respectively.

You're right. He wouldn't have reached it himself. Because sometimes people need their friends to point out when they're being boneheads. Exactly like Murphy did in White Night, in regard to Lasciel.

Harry under the intense influence of the Mantle in Cold Days is the wrong person to have the Swords. Sanya basically said so. Harry admitted as much. Harry's story is about him overcoming his flaws -- don't try to pretend they're not there so you can blame Murphy for things that she didn't do.

It's like arguing that Susan was wrong to be horrified by Harry when he was a Hexenwulf, because in Death Masks, Shiro trusted Harry with the Sword. You're talking about Harry in two very different mindsets, in two very different situations and times in his life, and acting like he's exactly the same in both.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:10:48 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
When Karrin is talking about the Swords in Cold Days, yes, Harry is furious with her -- out of character levels of furious, and comes to within inches of smashing her skull in. That is why she doesn't give up the Swords, because she can recognize that he is not in a place at that point in time that the Swords would be safe with him. When he stops and thinks, Harry recognizes that too, and does not further protest.

Murphy isn't saying, "I'll only trust you if you accede to my demands." She's saying, "The last time we spoke, you told me Mab was going to turn you into a monster. You're acting suspiciously un-Harry-like. Before I trust you, I need to see proof that you're not the monster you explicitly told me you were going to become last time we talked, and show that you're still worthy of that trust."
Two things.  First, that’s your reading of the situation, not Harry’s actual statement.  What actually happens in that scene is that Karrin tells him that she’s not giving him back the swords and that it’s non-debatable, and Harry does have a violent reaction.  She doesn’t back down, touches him, and he submits.  Harry’s first-person narrative thought process doesn’t include the same sort of internal processing that he does in the case of Bob.  Rather, he just acknowledges that he doesn’t want to lose Karrin or her trust, and gives in to her demands.
Second, yeah, she actually is saying that she won’t trust him unless he gives into her demands.  She flatly tells him that her trust in him depend on his response “in the next few minutes.”  She even says that Bob and the Swords are being taken because terrible things could happen in the wrong hands.  This isn’t about giving proof that he’s not some monster.  This is about stripping him of the two things that would be the worst thing for a dark monster to possess.
Michael, however, only sees Harry again after Harry has spent a year and change mastering the Mantle. Michael talks to a Harry who is not on the verge of murdering and raping his friends and long-time allies for perceived slights.

I think if Michael saw a Harry who was a hair's breadth from raping his daughter and Andi and who had to physically hold himself back from smashing Murphy's head in for having the audacity to say no to him, he might say something different.
That’s your opinion.  Michael has seen Harry at his best and his worst.  He’s soulgazed Harry, and knows what’s in his heart.  What’s more, Michael knows firsthand about Choice and free will.  He also demonstrates that he understands to a degree what the mantle does to the mind of the person in possession of it, and what it does not do – strip them of the freedom to choose.  Michael’s moment of doubt with Harry happened long ago, in Small Favor, and he choose to believe in his friend despite evidence to the contrary, because he knows the man.

Michael’s just a man.  He was a Knight, but he’s no better than anyone else, and would be the first to acknowledge his own faults and flaws.  He and Murphy share a lot in regard to background and faith.  He showed in The Warrior that he can be irrationally scared for others and for his family, and can also be tempted to do terrible things.  But he also has his faith and trust in the right things.  He has a grounding which guides him, whereas Murph is letting her fears and doubts guide her.

When you see Harry in Cold Days, you see a man who’s a hair’s breadth away from doing all sorts of unspeakable acts.  I see someone who, despite all of the temptations and hormones and magical influences, is strongly choosing to say NO to those things.  Choice and free will have a power all of their own in the Dresden Files.  It was Will which broke the bonds of Mother Winter, Choice which gave Harry the strength to defy Mab on his first conscious moments in Demonreach at the end of Ghost Story.

“The thing is,” I said quietly, “the sword’s keeper needs clear judgment more than anything else and I’m not sure I have it anymore.”
“Why not?” Michael asked.
“Because of the Winter Mantle.  Because of Mab.  If I take the sword, bad things could happen down the line.”
“Of course they could,” Michael said.  “But I don’t believe for a second that they would happen because you chose to make them happen.”
“That’s what I mean,” I said.  “What if… What if Mab gets to me eventually?”  I waved my hand.  “Stars and stones, I just spent the weekend working with Denarians on behalf of freaking Marcone.  I’ve had this job for what, a couple of years?  What will I be like five years from now, or ten, or a hundred and fifty?”
“I don’t believe that for a second,” Michael said.  “I know you.”
Choice has power, and Harry never loses the power of choice.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
Two things.  First, that’s your reading of the situation, not Harry’s actual statement.  What actually happens in that scene is that Karrin tells him that she’s not giving him back the swords and that it’s non-debatable, and Harry does have a violent reaction.  She doesn’t back down, touches him, and he submits.  Harry’s first-person narrative thought process doesn’t include the same sort of internal processing that he does in the case of Bob.  Rather, he just acknowledges that he doesn’t want to lose Karrin or her trust, and gives in to her demands.
Maybe because he realizes that the person who would lose Karrin's trust shouldn't have the Swords.

And, again: Is instant violence the kind of response that the rightful custodian of the Swords should have?

He doesn't need to go through the same internal monologue as he did because he already did that and all of the same stuff and more still applies. Why would Butcher copy and paste the same exact things again? What in that paragraph applies to Bob but doesn't apply to the Swords?

I mean, is the argument that Harry is agreeing that he can go bad, and that therefore it's too dangerous for him to have Bob... and then ten seconds later, Harry absolutely cannot go bad and is absolutely the right and only choice to hold the Swords?

Jim does give us this visceral reaction, where Harry is disgusted about what he just did, and what the Mantle is screaming at him to do:

It hit me, what I was thinking, what my instincts were screaming at me to do, and I suddenly sagged, bowing my head. My breath came out in uneven jerks. I closed my eyes, tried to get it under control.

Tell me what text in the books indicates Murphy is "manipulating" him. Tell me what text in the books indicates that Harry should have the Swords in that time and place.

Second, yeah, she actually is saying that she won’t trust him unless he gives into her demands.  She flatly tells him that her trust in him depend on his response “in the next few minutes.”  She even says that Bob and the Swords are being taken because terrible things could happen in the wrong hands.  This isn’t about giving proof that he’s not some monster.  This is about stripping him of the two things that would be the worst thing for a dark monster to possess.
Depending on his response meaning, "Showing me that you're still worthy of trust," not "I'll only trust me if you do as I want you to." It's exactly about proof that he's not some monster. You're acting like Murphy is making some kind of power play, when that's not the case.

That’s your opinion.
That the two exchanges happen more than a year apart and that Harry's mindset and control of the Mantle are in very different places is not a matter of opinion. They're observable, explicit fact.

Michael has seen Harry at his best and his worst.  He’s soulgazed Harry, and knows what’s in his heart.  What’s more, Michael knows firsthand about Choice and free will.  He also demonstrates that he understands to a degree what the mantle does to the mind of the person in possession of it, and what it does not do – strip them of the freedom to choose.  Michael’s moment of doubt with Harry happened long ago, in Small Favor, and he choose to believe in his friend despite evidence to the contrary, because he knows the man.
Michael did not see Harry nearly pound Murphy's head into the wall. Michael did not see Harry having to mentally hold back from viciously raping his daughter. Michael did not see Harry agreeing to "watch the world burn" to get what he wants.

Michael soulgazed Harry more than a decade ago. A lot has changed in Harry's life since then.

Michael is not omniscient. He does not see everything. He has a lot of faith in Harry, but remember that Michael also gave Nicodemus the chance to repent. Michael sees the best in everybody.

Michael’s just a man.  He was a Knight, but he’s no better than anyone else, and would be the first to acknowledge his own faults and flaws.  He and Murphy share a lot in regard to background and faith.  He showed in The Warrior that he can be irrationally scared for others and for his family, and can also be tempted to do terrible things.  But he also has his faith and trust in the right things.  He has a grounding which guides him, whereas Murph is letting her fears and doubts guide her.
So, Michael when he's talking about Dresden is spot on and perfect, because he is totally on the money on Dresden despite not seeing him for more than a year and not witnessing what the Mantle has done to him, but when it comes to Murphy, he's "just a man" "no better than anyone else"?

Tell me how putting her trust in Harry is "letting fear and doubts" guide her.

When you see Harry in Cold Days, you see a man who’s a hair’s breadth away from doing all sorts of unspeakable acts.  I see someone who, despite all of the temptations and hormones and magical influences, is strongly choosing to say NO to those things.  Choice and free will have a power all of their own in the Dresden Files.  It was Will which broke the bonds of Mother Winter, Choice which gave Harry the strength to defy Mab on his first conscious moments in Demonreach at the end of Ghost Story.
Harry is not a perfect paragon. He has made bad choices. Hell, he made the Sword vulnerable years before Murphy did.

He's a good man, but in Cold Days, he's in a bad place. An alcoholic might be a good man, but you don't give him the keys to his car when he's in the middle of a bender. You wait until he's in a better place.

That's all Murphy was doing. You cannot ignore that Harry is working through a lot of dark stuff in Cold Days.

Choice has power, and Harry never loses the power of choice.
No, but he has influences on him that will change what he chooses. One of which, in Cold Days, is brand new to him and a very powerful influence that he's still trying to get control of.

You are ignoring that. Harry is strong because of his friends, because they will support him and will call him out when he needs it. Being a friend doesn't just mean rubber stamping everything Harry wants to do.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:12:36 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »
I know this is trite since I already said it, but I'm 100% in agreement with Mr. Death's opinion. Just thought I needed to say it again because this discussion is fascinating to watch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
I know this is trite since I already said it, but I'm 100% in agreement with Mr. Death's opinion. Just thought I needed to say it again because this discussion is fascinating to watch.
Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Murphy is some kind of arrogant, power-playing manipulator just out to screw Dresden (or at least, the most vocal) and it's nice to get a little support now and again.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
WOW ... you guys sure do type a lot.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Murphy is some kind of arrogant, power-playing manipulator just out to screw Dresden (or at least, the most vocal) and it's nice to get a little support now and again.

I'm actually flummoxed about that interpretation of her. She and Harry went through some incredibly rough times since Changes and it is natural that him coming back to life with the burden of the hyper-aggressive mantle would put even additional strain on both of them, aside from all the other issues Harry's death brought on.

But, given those circumstances, I'm always very happy to see how much absolute trust Murphy has for Harry as a person and how, especially in Skin Game, she was willing to set aside her own problems to help him out, without asking anything in return.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:07:20 PM by magnuskn »