Author Topic: Marvra and Kemmler (Deadbeat)  (Read 17580 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Marvra and Kemmler (Deadbeat)
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
I feel like I missed something. Did we ever learn why Mavra needed the Book?

Thanks--Brien

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Marvra and Kemmler (Deadbeat)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
It contained things that could be used against the Black Court.  She didn't want it in anyone else's hands.  Harry tells her at the end that he read it, and knows how it could be used against her kind.

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:34:59 AM »
I feel, though, that we haven't seen the end of her. Didn't Jim say that she would appear in Mirror Mirror, actually as an ally? I wonder if she was able to use the Word, too. She does have power.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »
There was a woj on cowl and mavra.

I believe the question asked about both and their longevity going forward. 

From what I recall, the woj suggests mavras end is coming sooner than later.  So I took it that Cowl's storyline will continue longer than Mavras.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:01:08 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:39:46 AM »
There was a woj on cowl and mavra.

I believe the question asked about both and their longevity going forward. 

From what I recall, the woj suggests mavras end is coming sooner than later.  So I took that coals storyline will continue longer than mavras.
Or, if you're a fan of time travel theories, her story is already over.   ;)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 02:29:05 AM »
I feel, though, that we haven't seen the end of her. Didn't Jim say that she would appear in Mirror Mirror, actually as an ally? I wonder if she was able to use the Word, too. She does have power.

The WOJ was ambiguous to an extent, but given that his phrasing was 'fast ally' I think prevailing opinion was that she's an ally to evil Mirror Dresden. Prime Harry might collaborate with her temporarily if it was necessary to confront a mutual enemy he considered even worse, but I don't think he could condone her as more than a temporary truce of necessity.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 02:53:30 AM »
I have this idea that the dar hollow ritual could be adapted to use BCV or even ghouls as a power source. We know it is said Dracula failed when he created the BCV, so this adapted ritual could be a success. To make it as powerful as possible, it would require the sacrifice of the remaining BCV elders. If BCV can be affected by necromancy, I guessed they could be a fuel source, in necromancy violent deaths and older bodies work the best, so the elders are perfect.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
Given that Kemmler was a necromancer, it fits that anything dead would want to limit his knowledge from getting out into the general public (of the supernatural world)
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:58 AM »
My money is mavra wanting the book for a power play on the BCV, to restore it and her own power on a large scale.
k moinuddin

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:40:57 AM »
Given that Kemmler was a necromancer, it fits that anything dead would want to limit his knowledge from getting out into the general public (of the supernatural world)

But if that was all she wanted she could have just left it be and the Council would have probably destroyed the thing.

No, she wanted something that was in those pages for her own use alright. And Harry is gonna be in shit up to his elbows when everyone finds out that the Black Court is back (or something along those lines) just because he wants in Murphy's pants.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
The WOJ was ambiguous to an extent, but given that his phrasing was 'fast ally' I think prevailing opinion was that she's an ally to evil Mirror Dresden. Prime Harry might collaborate with her temporarily if it was necessary to confront a mutual enemy he considered even worse, but I don't think he could condone her as more than a temporary truce of necessity.

What Mavra can't tell the difference between the two Harry's?  Prime Harry could work with Mavra, but for a different goal than what Mavra would expect. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »
What Mavra can't tell the difference between the two Harry's?  Prime Harry could work with Mavra, but for a different goal than what Mavra would expect.
What if Prime Harry is more insightful than !Harry and uses Necromancy vs Mavra where !Harry cannot.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
Speaking of which Lara, Mavra, and Cowl have been absentee for the last third of the series. Are there any other villians that need to make a re-appearance? Additionally, what has been going on with the Senior Council since Changes? I really want to see their reaction to the new super-charged Harry.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Speaking of which Lara, Mavra, and Cowl have been absentee for the last third of the series. Are there any other villians that need to make a re-appearance? Additionally, what has been going on with the Senior Council since Changes? I really want to see their reaction to the new super-charged Harry.
Some of them have a recurring pattern, jim has acknowledged vaguely. Like the Denarians every five books, for example. 

I expect most if not all of those to appear in the next one for the Peace Talks (probably not Cowl, at least not as an envoy).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Some of them have a recurring pattern, jim has acknowledged vaguely. Like the Denarians every five books, for example. 
I expect most if not all of those to appear in the next one for the Peace Talks (probably not Cowl, at least not as an envoy).

Skin Game threw me for a bit of a loop with that. I'd kept expecting at least a B-plot with vampires, since one court or another has been significant somehow in every multiple of three up until SG.