Author Topic: luccio's action  (Read 5684 times)

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
luccio's action
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
I don’t understand the actions of Luccio in a fist full of warlocks. We have seen Morgan try to cut people’s heads off for even the slightest infractions (granted Morgan thinks everything harry does is dark magic but still) and Morgan has modeled himself on how Luccio has acted in the past. Spoilers after this point.......... but when have Luccio with someone she knows is a user of black magic.  Someone who is the leader of a cult of warlocks.  His people are coming to kill her and free him and she doesn’t do anything but neutralize his magic.  they were going to kill molly without a trial if it wasn’t for Dresden but Kemmler gets his day in court.  Why didn’t she cut his head off the second she found out they were necromancers? I find it difficult to believe that warden justice favored the accused rights during the wild west more than it does now.   I understand from a story perspective Kemmler has to live but if a beat cop let the guy go that ends up starting WWI how does that cop does not get to be head of the wardens
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: luccio's action
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
Could it be that her knowledge of Kemmler was sufficient that she knew that removing his head would not be enough to end him?  That it was better to return him to the council in one piece so that it could be done completely?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
I don’t understand the actions of Luccio in a fist full of warlocks. We have seen Morgan try to cut people’s heads off for even the slightest infractions (granted Morgan thinks everything harry does is dark magic but still) and Morgan has modeled himself on how Luccio has acted in the past. Spoilers after this point.......... but when have Luccio with someone she knows is a user of black magic.  Someone who is the leader of a cult of warlocks.  His people are coming to kill her and free him and she doesn’t do anything but neutralize his magic.  they were going to kill molly without a trial if it wasn’t for Dresden but Kemmler gets his day in court.  Why didn’t she cut his head off the second she found out they were necromancers? I find it difficult to believe that warden justice favored the accused rights during the wild west more than it does now.   I understand from a story perspective Kemmler has to live but if a beat cop let the guy go that ends up starting WWI how does that cop does not get to be head of the wardens
Well, in point of fact Molly would have had a Trial, by the council's definition, just not much of a fair Hearing, and no time for Appeals.

As to why she didnt immediately go all Judge Dredd on them, she started with evidence against only Page, (who'd killed and worse several people), she knew from her magic glasses they were warlocks, but had no proof of Law violations, and no desire to take odds she didnt think McCoy could survive.  And doing so would have also put her at odds with the Sherrif, who was already expressing dubiousness over the "fairness" of the trail page was to be taken to; a summary execution of a man already in prison who by both sets of Laws was guilty of threats Only?  Nope, not gunna fly.  Though Im sure she's wished over and over that it had fallen out differently, in the years to come.

Also, just because Morgan was trained by Luccio and later became an intolerant ass with barely any integrity left does not mean that is what Luccio was or ever became. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
It may also be that in the past the White Council made more effort to evaluate and test warlocks with the intent to save a few.  After all, the White Council is not what it once was....

I wonder when the Merlin took over.  Not saying the Merlin is evil, but he is not a man who sees the little people as important except in the abstract sense.   He is a "some eggs must be broken if we are to protect our position" type person

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
I don’t understand the actions of Luccio in a fist full of warlocks. We have seen Morgan try to cut people’s heads off for even the slightest infractions (granted Morgan thinks everything harry does is dark magic but still) and Morgan has modeled himself on how Luccio has acted in the past.

I'm not sure whether the short story is supposed to have been before she had Morgan as an apprentice, or after he had already graduated and struck out on his own. But if it was before, I could certainly see Luccio blaming herself for not taking the chance to kill him before she realized his identity, and going through a stage of being more brutal to all warlocks as a reaction that just happened to coincide with Morgan's formative years.

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »
It's quite possible that Kemmler was the one that taught the White Council the attitude to never show any mercy or hesitate with a warlock.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
It may also be that in the past the White Council made more effort to evaluate and test warlocks with the intent to save a few.  After all, the White Council is not what it once was....

I wonder when the Merlin took over.  Not saying the Merlin is evil, but he is not a man who sees the little people as important except in the abstract sense.   He is a "some eggs must be broken if we are to protect our position" type person
Hmm, well him and McCoy are the same age and whatnot, and by Fistful he was the Captain of the Wardens, which has been mentioned as one step shy of the Senior Council.  From that Im guessing that Langtry was already on the SC but not the Merlin yet. The World Wars and eventual Kemmler issues are the only times of chaos I can think of that might knock off the upper tier of the SC, other than simple age?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ViperMagnum357

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:36:00 PM »
Luccio does not know who she has locked up until she hears Page call a name: "Grevane". At that point Luccio realizes who she has in custody, and Kemmler escapes before she gets back. She also specifically mentions Kemmler was already on the most wanted list; so if she had recognized him right away, I think it is likely she would have explained to Earp before executing Kemmler in the cell, and led the Warlocks on during the standoff in an attempt to survive/kill them as well.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 03:51:09 AM »

Also, just because Morgan was trained by Luccio and later became an intolerant ass with barely any integrity left does not mean that is what Luccio was or ever became.

Oh, Donald had tons of integrity left by the early books.  Intolerant, yes.  An ass, oh yes.  But integrity out the wazoo.  He just directed it badly because he was more or less a burn out after a century of fighting dirty wars and monsters.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
Oh, Donald had tons of integrity left by the early books.  Intolerant, yes.  An ass, oh yes.  But integrity out the wazoo.  He just directed it badly because he was more or less a burn out after a century of fighting dirty wars and monsters.
Im referring to his willful attempted entrapment at the request of the Merlin in SK, the bit that so shocked Luccio when she learned about it in DB.  Once a law enforcement officer starts trying to fabricate evidence to support their foregone beliefs, they've relinquished any integrity they may once have had, and Morgan is no exception.  At least to my mind. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »

Yes to this, and Morgan is (as best I can recall) supposed to a little over 100 when the series starts.  He fought in the First World War.  So Morgan becomes Luccio's apprentice something like 30 - 35 years after the events in Fist Full of Warlocks.  That's plenty of time for her attitudes about life to have hardened and for her to believe in the need to encourage toughness (for lack of a better term) in those she would train to follow her.  Not that Luccio isn't strong in this story but she is definitely in transition to the Luccio we meet in Dead Beat.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
Yes to this, and Morgan is (as best I can recall) supposed to a little over 100 when the series starts.  He fought in the First World War.  So Morgan becomes Luccio's apprentice something like 30 - 35 years after the events in Fist Full of Warlocks.  That's plenty of time for her attitudes about life to have hardened and for her to believe in the need to encourage toughness (for lack of a better term) in those she would train to follow her.  Not that Luccio isn't strong in this story but she is definitely in transition to the Luccio we meet in Dead Beat.
Also the weight of Command.  She's still just a Warden in FFW, once she actually takes over the Wardens I suspect her perspectives would shift somewhat.  And that's the purely mundane weight of command, not even considering that sorts of Secret Arcane Knowledge that might be reserved for those special posts like the Capt. or a SC member, or might have simply been passed down from Her predecessor McCoy. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:33:28 AM »
Im referring to his willful attempted entrapment at the request of the Merlin in SK, the bit that so shocked Luccio when she learned about it in DB.  Once a law enforcement officer starts trying to fabricate evidence to support their foregone beliefs, they've relinquished any integrity they may once have had, and Morgan is no exception.  At least to my mind.

Morgan thought he was upholding the law.  That's my point, he looked at Harry and saw the BTK killer, or the Son of Sam, waiting to kill again.  Kemmler Jr.

His judgement was completely shot by then, but he genuinely believed he was doing right and in fact doing his duty.  It wasn't lack of integrity but lack of perception and understanding.

Remember, he saved Harry's life in one of the early books, precisely because of that same integrity.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
Morgan thought he was upholding the law.  That's my point, he looked at Harry and saw the BTK killer, or the Son of Sam, waiting to kill again.  Kemmler Jr.

His judgement was completely shot by then, but he genuinely believed he was doing right and in fact doing his duty.  It wasn't lack of integrity but lack of perception and understanding.

Remember, he saved Harry's life in one of the early books, precisely because of that same integrity.
I think we are operating on wildly different definitions of Integrity then.   He had good intentions.  Swell.  The Road to Hell is paved in them (per WOJ even :P).  He also attempted to entrap a man who was innocent in the eyes of the Law, just so he could be turned over to monsters and eaten for political expediency, acting out of his own fear and grief.  The fact that he personally thought the man was terrible and maybe should die doesnt make any less of a dishonorable act.  He was a cop who was trying to plant evidence and frame a suspect.  That doesnt leave one with any claim of Integrity.  He could still try to claim that he'd sacrificed his Integrity for the greater good if he wanted, but the integrity was long gone.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:46 AM »
I think we are operating on wildly different definitions of Integrity then.   He had good intentions.  Swell.  The Road to Hell is paved in them (per WOJ even :P).  He also attempted to entrap a man who was innocent in the eyes of the Law, just so he could be turned over to monsters and eaten for political expediency, acting out of his own fear and grief.

As I said, his judgement was shot and worthless by that point.  But he didn't take the easy way, he did what he thought was right.  He was ready to sacrifice a guilty man (as he saw it) for the same reason he was later willing to die for the Council in Turn Coat, or lie to the Council to protect it from civil war.  (Here again, his judgement is at least questionable.)

He fully expected Harry to fall for the trap, because he that's that what the kind of person he thought Harry was would do.  Note than when it didn't work, he didn't murder Harry on the spot, or try to.  He was just caught off-balance and not sure how to react.

Don't confuse personal integrity with personal morality or good judgement.  They are different things.  A villain can be heavy with integrity.  Marcone has integrity, but that doesn't make him a good guy.  Lara has a certain amount of personal integrity, but that doesn't make her less of a monster.

The fact that he personally thought the man was terrible and maybe should die doesnt make any less of a dishonorable act.  He was a cop who was trying to plant evidence and frame a suspect. 

He didn't think Harryt was terrible, he thought Harry was an iminent threat to the lives and sanity of innocent people and the survival of the Council.  It was well beyond 'terrible guy'.

He didn't plant any evidence.  Nor did he try to frame Harry.  He tried to tempt Harry into stepping over the line, so arguably entrapment, yes.

Harry was, in his own way, doing the same thing Morgan did when he shot Corpsetaker-in-Luccio later.  Harry was lucky/wise enough that it turned out he was right to shoot the woman who he could not really know was actually Corpsetaker.  Even Harry was not 100% sure himself when he shot the woman in question.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:25:01 AM by LordDresden2 »