Author Topic: Necromancer/Kemmler Magic/Cowl Theory  (Read 4084 times)

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Necromancer/Kemmler Magic/Cowl Theory
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
So after reading A Fistful of Warlocks I believe that I have found out what Cowl's necromantic abilities are as aside from the Darkhallow he has not used any so far in the series. First all of the apprentices seem to have a similar skill set with evocation as Grevane and Corpsetaker have both used lightning and kinetic/force energy in the stories they have appeared in with Cowl having the most gift in force magic. In the thaumaturgy side, Grevane used the more traditional necromancy, raising zombies as his forte while Corpsestaker used ghosts and spirits, both abilities that Kemmler himself was a master of. The last ability that he was most well known for was rising from the dead multiple times. Previously Kumori told Harry that Cowl has contended with death curses before and as he seemed the most powerful and more importantly intelligent of the three, he most likely adapted Kemmler's most useful ability while maintaining a disdain for the other sides of necromancy. Knowledge is power and this also gives credence to the Simon is Cowl theory as he would have no need to fake a death curse if he actually died and he would be able to be more active in the Black Council as events in the series have escalated to say the least.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer/Kemmler Magic/Cowl Theory
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »
I wondered if a necromancer could use their own death curse to restore or resurrect themselves. It seems like using death curses would be in the wheel house of a necromancer.
k moinuddin

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
I wondered if a necromancer could use their own death curse to restore or resurrect themselves. It seems like using death curses would be in the wheel house of a necromancer.
Hm, yeah, this might actually be the trick. A death curse seems to be the sum of all your magic. A necromancer might use it to move his spirit and soul outside of his body. And take the magic along with it.

Or it could mean the opposite: a necromancer doesn't use death curses because they intend to survive and spending all of their magic at once would make that impossible.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
I would agree for a death curse in the heat of battle, but a prepared ritual and boosted power source, combined with such a death curse could give far many more options. I wonder if death curses are akin to soul fire, they are possible similarities.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:16:22 PM »
Well, we know per WOJ that Deathcurses are qualitatively different than normal spells, the analogy Iim used was a nuke versus an equivalent kiloton pile of normal explosives.  I doubt they are related to Soulfire specifically, mostly because we've had indications that soul-less creatures like Mavra might be able to throw them (and if anyone would know the dangers of a Blampire Wizard, it would be the Blackstaff).    On the other hand, I doubt there's been a whole hell of a lot of research done on Soulfire at all, so who who knows who knows what.  (say that 5 times fast...:P)

Or it could mean the opposite: a necromancer doesn't use death curses because they intend to survive and spending all of their magic at once would make that impossible.
I think Im leaning toward this side of things.  My thought is that Self-Necromancy would be all about leveraging the "grey" area between Life and Death in various ways, but all utilizing that transition.  The action of a Deathcurse seems to fast-forward that process by magically flushing out all the Life at once and burning it on a spell. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
Here's the WoJ Quantus is referring to.

domino7: 3) Is there a qualitative difference between Death Curses and regular magic? Not just using someone's lifeforce to supercharge a spell, but to do something intrinsically different. Would it be hypothetically possible for someone to stockpile magical energy to cast a huge spell and fake a Death Curse, like drawing blood to spray an otherwise fatal amount around a crime scene?
Jim: 3) Definitely a qualitative difference. I mean, we rate nukes in terms of "how many thousand tons of TNT is this equal to?" but let me see you try to deploy 80,000 tons of TNT as a weapon. If you could, the destruction would be the same, in theory, but the nuke has a quality all its own that makes it stand out. A death curse is the same thing. A really powerful practitioner (any member of the Council) could probably simulate a death curse with enough time and forethought, but there would be traces that an investigator could find, afterward. "Hey, why are there tire tracks worn into this road? Because someone was using it to haul 80,000 tons of TNT to the site of the explosion, and you can't do that without a LOT of trucks."

With regards to the power used in a death curse being used for a blessing, I've theorized before that a few real world martyr like deaths could be viewed as involving something like this. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
Here's the WoJ Quantus is referring to.

With regards to the power used in a death curse being used for a blessing, I've theorized before that a few real world martyr like deaths could be viewed as involving something like this.
One thing Ive always been unclear on is to what extent is a Deathcurse a cyanide pill?  As in, does there already need to be imminent Death, or can a wizard just quietly suicide and sling a Curse at whomever?

Ive played with theories that an Immortal might be able to throw a Deathcurse, but only in places or circumstances or by weapons where they could actually, truly Die. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:38 PM »
what about using mordite as an accelerant in connection with a death curse?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jamescagney22

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
Well I think for the most part there has not been an in depth practice of death curses because one, they are reactive a take you with me kind of deal, and two most people want to live survival is a powerful drive so the odds of someone on white council level deciding to be suicidal is low at best. The mordite as a death curse fuel is a scary thought.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
you know this is a good f*ck you to your killer along with corpsetakers stunt use dead curse to make your self a ghost then hijack the suckers body.