Author Topic: Harry should Dark Hallow Demonreach.  (Read 13088 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Harry should Dark Hallow Demonreach.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Im not the one with the onus to prove it is a law. Im not the one making the assertion that it would do something. As the person with the positive assertion, the burden of proof is on you. And I am seeing know sources. Are you refering to clear cut absolute statements, or loose inference like the butters reference.
you just asserted its a 'maxim', was gonna be nice about it but ok, prove it. Prove its a maxim. Prove it's not a metaphysical law.
You can't, I can't. But using Induction over deduction(a much more accepted form of theorizing) we can infer a majority of accurances where 'you are what you eat' is the rule applied.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
This is a monumentally bad idea.

"You are what you eat" is a law in Dresden. Look at when Harry ate some of Kravos's power -- he took on his traits. Look at the WOJ about Goodman Grey and what would happen if he took enough of Harry's power -- he'd basically become Dresden.

In Dresden's verse, you do not gain godly power without fundamentally changing who and what you are. And if you're gaining that godly power by eating unholy nightmare monsters, you will become an unholy nightmare monster.

Im not the one with the onus to prove it is a law. Im not the one making the assertion that it would do something. As the person with the positive assertion, the burden of proof is on you. And I am seeing know sources. Are you refering to clear cut absolute statements, or loose inference like the butters reference.
Proof: The text of the books and WOJ. They're both very clear that you do not gain that kind of power without being affected by the things you're consuming.

The assertion that Harry would be totally fine is the one that's contrary to everything we've been seen and told.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
This is a monumentally bad idea.

"You are what you eat" is a law in Dresden. Look at when Harry ate some of Kravos's power -- he took on his traits. Look at the WOJ about Goodman Grey and what would happen if he took enough of Harry's power -- he'd basically become Dresden.

In Dresden's verse, you do not gain godly power without fundamentally changing who and what you are. And if you're gaining that godly power by eating unholy nightmare monsters, you will become an unholy nightmare monster.
Proof: The text of the books and WOJ. They're both very clear that you do not gain that kind of power without being affected by the things you're consuming.

The assertion that Harry would be totally fine is the one that's contrary to everything we've been seen and told.

You are taking general statements about very specific peoples powers and then applying them piecemeal nilly willy. That doesn't hold water.

You are what you eat is a wild generalization that can literally be anything from general wisdom statement to specifically true for some specific powers. You cant just go plastering it with specific assumptions to everything. That's just....preposterous.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
You are taking general statements about very specific peoples powers and then applying them piecemeal nilly willy. That doesn't hold water.

You are what you eat is a wild generalization that can literally be anything from general wisdom statement to specifically true for some specific powers. You cant just go plastering it with specific assumptions to everything. That's just....preposterous.
Quote from: Induction
the inference of a general law from particular instances
need to start paying attention... and being nicer please. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:35:30 PM by jonas »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
No, I'm taking evidence we've seen and been told directly about taking and absorbing power from one being to another and applying it to a suggestion that Harry take and absorb power from other beings into himself.

What's preposterous is ignoring all the evidence and WOJ and people directly telling Harry that even touching the power of Demonreach is a terrible idea, and saying everything would be fine.

Harry can't even do specific things with his own power without being affected by it. Every creature in Demonreach is vastly more powerful than Harry individually. And you think that Harry can absorb all of them without being affected by it.

That is just plain not how the world of Dresden has ever worked. You don't gain power as simple as plain knowledge without being affected by it.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Quote from: Induction
the inference of a general law from particular instances
need to start paying attention... and being nicer please. :)

Cannot imagine what you think I have said that is "unnice" Or what exactly I am not paying attention to.

Your assertion that Demonreach would alter Harry must be back up by evidence. The burden of proof is not on me. I have not obligation whatsoever to disprove your assertion. You could just as easily assert that doing the DH on DR will turn harry literally into the devil. Or that he turns into a cupcake. Or literally any set of English works you want to order in some manner. You are providing a positive statement, and I have no onus to disprove it. You have onus to prove it. Otherwise all things not disproved are held true until I disprove them, which is clearly not logical.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Cannot imagine what you think I have said that is "unnice" Or what exactly I am not paying attention to.
Don's assertation for starters

Your assertion that Demonreach would alter Harry must be back up by evidence. The burden of proof is not on me.
GK in TC
I have not obligation whatsoever to disprove your assertion. You could just as easily assert that doing the DH on DR will turn harry literally into the devil. Or that he turns into a cupcake. Or literally any set of English works you want to order in some manner. You are providing a positive statement, and I have no onus to disprove it. You have onus to prove it. Otherwise all things not disproved are held true until I disprove them, which is clearly not logical.
you provided the positive assertion that you are what you eat is a maxim... now again don't ignore me, prove it.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 02:44:35 PM »
Shift8, we've provided several pieces of evidence and citations about what happens when you absorb power from something, both from the books and WOJ.

All you've provided is, "Nah, not good enough."

Please argue in good faith and stop ignoring everything that is contrary to your own assertion.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
No, I'm taking evidence we've seen and been told directly about taking and absorbing power from one being to another and applying it to a suggestion that Harry take and absorb power from other beings into himself.

What's preposterous is ignoring all the evidence and WOJ and people directly telling Harry that even touching the power of Demonreach is a terrible idea, and saying everything would be fine.

Harry can't even do specific things with his own power without being affected by it. Every creature in Demonreach is vastly more powerful than Harry individually. And you think that Harry can absorb all of them without being affected by it.

That is just plain not how the world of Dresden has ever worked. You don't gain power as simple as plain knowledge without being affected by it.

Sorry, but broad generalizations about a wide range of separate and unrelated magic do not somehow merge into highly specific problems from Dresden in if he does a DH on DR. You can certainly speculate that they might causes problems based on experience with other magic, but asserting that it will happen in some specific manner is not a valid statement.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
Shift8, we've provided several pieces of evidence and citations about what happens when you absorb power from something, both from the books and WOJ.

All you've provided is, "Nah, not good enough."

Please argue in good faith and stop ignoring everything that is contrary to your own assertion.

Not good enough is perfectly fine if what you are saying is not good enough. Everything you are saying simply implies the possibility of a problem. Not its certainty. To state a certainty you need specifics.

I am very much arguing in good faith. I am not trolling you. You cant just provide vague generalities and act as if they are cosmic proof of your highly specific assertions.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »
Sorry, but broad generalizations about a wide range of separate and unrelated magic do not somehow merge into highly specific problems from Dresden in if he does a DH on DR. You can certainly speculate that they might causes problems based on experience with other magic, but asserting that it will happen in some specific manner is not a valid statement.
it's more so than 'naa, I dont' believe it.' In short our theory has more correlating evidence than yours that nothin will happen. To state a rebuttal YOU need specifics or at least some broad generalizations otherwise lol.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:49:36 PM by jonas »

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
it's more so than 'naa, I dont' believe it.' in short our theory has more correlating evidence than yours that nothin will happen.

Never said there wasn't any reason to suspect a technical problem. But you cannot matter of factually state there will be one in the positive with the evidence you are putting forth. Its merely prudential, not certain.

In point of fact, the GK's statement would appear to assert that there absolutely is a circumstance where Harry could harness said power without altering him.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Never said there wasn't any reason to suspect a technical problem. But you cannot matter of factually state there will be one in the positive with the evidence you are putting forth. Its merely prudential, not certain.

In point of fact, the GK's statement would appear to assert that there absolutely is a circumstance where Harry could harness said power without altering him.
*rolls eyes* that's not in question, but that's not dark hallowing it either is it?

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »
*rolls eyes* that's not in question, but that's not dark hallowing it either is it?

Of course it is not. The point is that not all use of potentially "bad" powers causes (as if by some mystical force) necessarily bad alteration of the user. If this is true of some kind use of demon reaches power, then it cannot be absolutely inferred the DH is out of the question can it?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Of course it is not. The point is that not all use of potentially "bad" powers causes (as if by some mystical force) necessarily bad alteration of the user. If this is true of some kind use of demon reaches power, then it cannot be absolutely inferred the DH is out of the question can it?
depends heavily on your definition of 'bad' power I suppose.... I don't think its' out of the question, I'm pretty sure he IS going to use it. But unless he's in a godlike stasis between Halloweens I just don't see it not altering him.